Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Sprint LTE $120 a year (plus $55 for hotspot) for low-income

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post

Another factor-how diligent are each of these services at checking for income requirements? i;ve gotten the vibe that 4GCommunity is turning a blind eye to it. However the PCSforPeople site seems to say it more prominently.
    4gcommunity is not based on income, it is based on being a member of a non-profit, which you join when you sign up and pay the $15 membership fee and state you wish to join the org.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Core Prime, TF700 w/custom rom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I also tried the old dish network satellite dish, and also couldn't get it to work. I think your aim needs to be almost perfect. I'd hoped you would be more successful and be able to tell me the secret. Thanks for reporting on your results.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Happy ending on the pcsforpele end. They cheerfully refunded every dime of my money the day they got the modem back. Didn't even charge me for a months service or shipping.

Feedback Score
    So is the Netgear Fuse a better hotspot Than the Franklin 850?

Sent from my LG-E980 using HoFo mobile app
    To Be The Best Ya Gotta Be Smarter Than The Rest! My Time, Talent, & Treasure! : “Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.” Leo Buscaglia : “With God, all things are POSSIBLE.” Mark 10:27

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    "So is the Netgear Fuse a better hotspot Than the Franklin 850?"

Not exactly sure why you asked, but PCs for People now has this as an option for most of the country. Good question.
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Feedback Score
    I was thinking about trying this service, but I see that now they only offer the ZTE Warp Connect hotspot. My concern with this is that the manual for the device says that it may become very hot while charging the battery and should be unplugged after the battery is charged. I really don't want to have to worry about whether my hotspot is charged when I want to use it, or have it run out while I'm using it -- I want my connection to be up 24/7 like my present DSL connection is, so that I can use it at any time from anywhere in the house. Not to mention that rechargeable batteries eventually go bad -- too quickly in my typical use patterns -- and this battery isn't even removable! So, is there any way to use the SIM in a more suitable device?

Feedback Score
    Jim: Just saw your question. FWIW, I use the Warp and had a similar concern. Resolution: I connected the wall wart to AC via a cheap $7 mechanical timer [from Amazon]. I experimented with various settings and am presently charging for 15 minutes, not charging for 30, then repeat ... I'm seeing the reported battery level in the range of about 83% to 100%. It's not at 99-100% very long before the timer shuts off the power supply. Seems to be working fine. :<)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
    I was thinking about trying this service, but I see that now they only offer the ZTE Warp Connect hotspot. My concern with this is that the manual for the device says that it may become very hot while charging the battery and should be unplugged after the battery is charged. I really don't want to have to worry about whether my hotspot is charged when I want to use it, or have it run out while I'm using it -- I want my connection to be up 24/7 like my present DSL connection is, so that I can use it at any time from anywhere in the house. Not to mention that rechargeable batteries eventually go bad -- too quickly in my typical use patterns -- and this battery isn't even removable! So, is there any way to use the SIM in a more suitable device?

Feedback Score
    I have a ZTE Warp on the way. What would be the cheapest adapter to connect to the RJ45 LAN Ethernet port on my desktop to connect to the hotspot ?

Feedback Score
    Here's what I use: IOGear GWU627W6 wi-fi/ethernet adapter. (I tried to paste a link to it from Amazon but the forum won't allow it. Sri.)

I have two of them in use for different purposes, one of which is with the Warp. They are quite reliable and add roughly 2-3ms to the IP path.

Quote Originally Posted by R_V_R View Post
    I have a ZTE Warp on the way. What would be the cheapest adapter to connect to the RJ45 LAN Ethernet port on my desktop to connect to the hotspot ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R_V_R View Post
    Cheapest would be a USB WiFi adapter, they can go for $2.

For more flexibility (and still user-friendly), any Asus WiFi AP should work. They call their OS "asuswrt" which is an obvious riff on dd-wrt/openwrt, and includes features like WiFi bridging/repeating also allowing you to connect to WiFi over the ethernet ports. Though there's the second question of whether you want to double-NAT, or not. Asus does not, by default at least, and it may be less user friendly trying to configure double-NAT.

Feedback Score
    Yup! Those would be a good way to go also. My solution costs a few cents more but provides a wi-fi/ethernet bridge w/minimum equipment. FWIW, my applications are to provide back-up WANs to Peplink load balancing routers. We have two of 'em in use -- needed because neither Comcast or Time-Warner can be trusted to keep their networks up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by rcxb View Post

For more flexibility (and still user-friendly), any Asus WiFi AP should work. They call their OS "asuswrt" which is an obvious riff on dd-wrt/openwrt, and includes features like WiFi bridging/repeating also allowing you to connect to WiFi over the ethernet ports. Though there's the second question of whether you want to double-NAT, or not. Asus does not, by default at least, and it may be less user friendly trying to configure double-NAT.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    my sister has this after the 23gb speed test show 3 to 5 that speed is just fine

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 on T-mobile network
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcxb View Post
    Ah, like for a laptop. Well, the cheapest ones I see are $9.99 shipped, which I do consider cheap, but curious are those for $2 somewhere other than some sketchy eBay seller or that will take three weeks via Hong Kong ?

No, no double-NAT or not even any routers or bridges or any other equipment. The ZTE supports 10 devices and supports WPS, WPA, and WPA2-PSK, as well as VPN Passthrough. That should be enough, no ?

Feedback Score
    Is it correct to assume that everyone who uses this hotspot service (both users of this board and otherwise), is officially in the below poverty category?

Is there an alternate way to sign up that doesn't involve food stamps or other benefits?

Are there any exceptions to the policy that some on this board can use to qualify for this program? I am aware of the 4gC program which uses the non-profit route, but that is a whole separate program with different guidelines and more expensive. Also, it doesn't really target the individual/personal account.

Years ago, I had a discount phone program thru certain guidelines, but never with internet service. Even then, signing up was extremely complicated and they required all kinds of documentation and sworn signatures. And then, they made you re-qualify every 6 months and were very strict.

Any feedback from you guys would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Is it correct to assume that everyone who uses this hotspot service (both users of this board and otherwise), is officially in the below poverty category?

Is there an alternate way to sign up that doesn't involve food stamps or other benefits?

Are there any exceptions to the policy that some on this board can use to qualify for this program? I am aware of the 4gC program which uses the non-profit route, but that is a whole separate program with different guidelines and more expensive. Also, it doesn't really target the individual/personal account.

Years ago, I had a discount phone program thru certain guidelines, but never with internet service. Even then, signing up was extremely complicated and they required all kinds of documentation and sworn signatures. And then, they made you re-qualify every 6 months and were very strict.

Any feedback from you guys would be appreciated.
    The following two might be the nearest to what you are looking for

4GCommunity.org unlimited Sprint Hotspot LTE service. They are not accepting orders for the past few months. Supposedly their community store would be reopening sometime very soon!

Free-Sprint-Service-for-1-year

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast