Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Sprint LTE $120 a year (plus $55 for hotspot) for low-income

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    I think you may be missing a very subtle point, which I discovered about 2 years ago when I was reading the fine print about mobile citizen.

It is largely about low income and disadvantaged, but it ALSO contains a provision for "non-profits". These non-profits do NOT have to be only for poor or low income purposes. They simply need to be community oriented, such as hospitals, libraries, community centers, churches, etc. Some non-profits that are more business-oriented, like a trade association, are not eligible. But organizations that serve the community (which a valid case can be made that this applies to bringing connectivity to underserved areas), are fully allowed and permitted in the mobile citizen terms.

I compare it to a co-op, say for food or other supplies or services. They serve their members based on what the members require, not for a profit, but to fill a void.

It may be a very borderline instance, but IMO it does not cross the line to violating the intent, nor is it egregious. It may not be a hospital or a food pantry, but it is community-serving.
    That is a thoughtful opinion but I personally think it was not within the intent. After all Mobile Citizen apparently required that PCsForPeople obtain proof of low-income and I think that they would require the same from 4GC if they had understood what they were doing. PCsForPeople also bases (at least annual) charges on the $10 a month fee stated in the agreement with Sprint.

Even though Mobile Citizen did say "non-profits" are eligible without much clarity, the real question is should they have intended to include organizations like this, given their own mandate. I do not think so.

It is illegal under the tax code to conduct a business for profit in a non-profit (unless it pays taxes on the income like a business for profit). It seems to me that is what 4GC is doing. Or, if they are paying the taxes, then they are not so clearly a non-profit in the general sense of the term.

Ah but I see their new notice now says: "Store Coming Back Soon! Four National Charities to Benefit from It!"
    So it looks like the above issues did indeed come to the fore and they are taking steps to attempt to improve their non-profit legitimacy. It remains to be seen whether these will be adequate. Just giving chunks of money away to real non-profits is not good enough in my guess. It is probably the best their lawyers could come up with to allow them to continue making (a little less) money out of this.

An IRS audit and Secretary of State audit would really be desirable to clarify these issues. Actually in view of their wording, it seems that one of these likely is underway.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-29-2017 at 02:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfIndia View Post
    I connected the wall wart to AC via a cheap $7 mechanical timer [from Amazon]. I experimented with various settings and am presently charging for 15 minutes, not charging for 30, then repeat ... I'm seeing the reported battery level in the range of about 83% to 100%. It's not at 99-100% very long before the timer shuts off the power supply. Seems to be working fine. :<)
    Which one? I've got a couple of lamp timers around, but those are much longer intervals, and even if they weren't there wouldn't be enough pins. Pain in the rear to keep plugging and unplugging the dang ZTE.

Feedback Score
    Hi. I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by R_V_R View Post
    Which one? I've got a couple of lamp timers around, but those are much longer intervals, and even if they weren't there wouldn't be enough pins. Pain in the rear to keep plugging and unplugging the dang ZTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfIndia View Post
    I'd say "Up to 48 on and off settings per day" would do the trick. Thanks for that.

I don't have prime, but at least I know what I'm looking for, so I can check around.

Feedback Score
    A dumb question for anyone who has or had a ZTE Warp:

How do you tell how many GBs have been used so far in the billing cycle ? I saw there was a "Data Used" number in the Web UI, but that appears to reference the amount since the last connection, I want the amount used in the billing cycle. I noticed in the photo of the unit on the website, it shows 'xxGB/23GB' used on the lower half of the screen. I don't have that, unless it can be toggled on/off ?

Feedback Score
    Has anyone signed up for this service lately? I signed up on Sunday, Monday morning I got an email saying that my service start date was Thursday and giving me a tracking number. It's now Wednesday afternoon, and the tracking number still comes back as only "label generated on Monday, waiting for package".

Feedback Score
    Standard procedure. Keep checking the tracking, it will start soon.

Now if I can just figure out how many GBs I've used so far in my first billing cycle.

Feedback Score
    Damn editor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
    Has anyone signed up for this service lately? I signed up on Sunday, Monday morning I got an email saying that my service start date was Thursday and giving me a tracking number. It's now Wednesday afternoon, and the tracking number still comes back as only "label generated on Monday, waiting for package".
    When I go to mobilecitizen's website (which is the organization pcsforpeople gets their plans through) I get this message
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  34.5 KB

might be the reason your order hasn't been shipped yet

Feedback Score
    That would suck if that was the case! Not only would they be shorting my subscription, but I purposely waited to order it because I wanted my 7-day trial period to coincide with being off work so I had time to experiment if I needed to find a specific location, an external antenna, or whatever. If they don't ship til the middle of next week, I'll probably be back to work full-time before it arrives

Feedback Score
    I called PC4P yesterday to make sure I had what was needed to sign up. The nice lady offered to sign me up on the phone, do it through the web site or it would be faster and less expensive to do it in their Denver office. So I headed on down to that office and in short order walked out with a ZTE Warp connect and a year plan for $194. My 4GCommunity plan was due to expire Dec 9 so it worked out great that I was able to get this set up before 4GC went dark.

Feedback Score
    I called them on Friday and they told me that the modem must have shipped because it wasn't still sitting in the office. They said that the shipper must have forgotten to scan it. I'm still not optimistic that it didn't get lost, because surely it would've been scanned SOMEWHERE even if not scanned at pickup? Anyway, they said that if it doesn't arrive by Monday I should call them and they'll ship another one. So, I can't say I'm disappointed by their customer service, but it's still really a downer having to wait so long.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    I pulled up the old DISH antenna (needed to do that anyway) and tried to point it toward the tower which is 3.6 miles away and not visible at ground level. I could not really improve things much. Best I can get is about 2 down, 1.5 up 45 ping.
    Apparently the sat dishes CAN be utilized. The question is how:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-DISH-N....c100009.m1982

Feedback Score
    That dish is for picking up free WiFi not cell signals. Now if you were to take the LNB off of a satellite dish and place your hotspot in its place, then it will become the focal point of the cell signal gathered and reflected to that spot. It would have to be pointed at the tower like any directional antenna. The next step would be to make your own wide band cell antenna element placed where the LNB use to be and attach it to the proper cable to bring it to either the hotspots antenna port or a booster.

Then again you could just buy a wide band directional antenna for $50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimindenver View Post
    That dish is for picking up free WiFi not cell signals.
    Isn't two and a half GHz 4G ?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast