Thread: Locked Fido HTC One M8 and Chatr SIM

Feedback Score

Question Locked Fido HTC One M8 and Chatr SIM

Hi there,

I have a locked Fido HTC One M8. I was wondering if it will work with Chatr. Or do I have to unlock it. I have read conflicting sories on this. Some say yes and only Fido/Rogers iphones need to be unlocked to use a Chatr Sim.

Others say it depends on the Android. Seeing that a HTC One M8 is not a very old phone I'm hoping it doesn't need to get unlocked.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    If you need to unlock it, DO NOT USE FIDO TO DO IT....other choices that are way cheaper....

Feedback Score
    It can not be unlocked for 90 days so that is why I asked if I can use a Chatr SIM seeing that it belongs to Rogers just like Fido.

This is the situation. I had my Fido HTC phone unlocked with a code from ebay last year. Then I was having problems so I had it repaired. They had to replace the mother board so new IMEI. Fido said I had to wait 90s days since it was a new IMEI.

Twice, I tried getting a unlock code from ebay and twice they couldn't find one. Hell no way I want to pay Fido $50.

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Best way is to check it at the store when activating. Shouldn't be a problem though. I purchased a Blackberry Q10 locked to Fido and worked on Rogers. I gave my mom (who is on Chatr) a Blackberry Z10 locked to Rogers and it worked with Chatr. Some older devices didn't work and needed to be unlocked (and when I say old, I mean my old HTC s621/Excalibur running Windows Mobile 5).

Edit: Had the same problem with the Z10 in that I got it unlocked through a third party, needed to be repaired under warranty, and now can't be unlocked.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Fido has a different network code and different sim cards with the Fido network code. Many phones in the past sold by Fido have been locked to Fido and will not work on Rogers, and vice versa. Rogers and Chatr use the Rogers network code, a Chatr sim card is just a Rogers sim card rebranded. This is not the case with Fido, as Fido has always been its own. However, many of the newer phones sold by Fido are locked to BOTH the Fido and Rogers network codes, and therefore yes will work just fine on Chatr.

FIDO $40/4GB BYOD
    PUBLIC $38/4GB BYOD
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.