Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why I left Project Fi - back to Cricket Wireless

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Why I left Project Fi - back to Cricket Wireless

I love what Project Fi can become, and I'm well aware that it's not a true MVNO but rather an idea of being able to use two carriers with different technologies.

However, it was close to a month where I could not get calls while on the Sprint network. Everything else worked, and everything worked as expected when on T-Mobile, but I need to be able to get calls when on either.

In my opinion, they have a lot of Tier 1 support that are very polite and apologetic. However, once you peal away the sugar-coated first layer, any support beyond that is next to non-existent. Not their fault; don't think Google prepared well for issues beyond the basics, and just didn't hire enough technicians that can dig through phone debugging logs and carrier call routing.

Anyways, back to Cricket Wireless, and already happier. I truly hope that anyone else on Project Fi never has to go through what I did.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I agree. I tried out Fi for a week after coming from Verizon with unlimited data. My main goal was that since I pay per MB, I'd use my phone less as I'd want to keep my payment low, as I've been trying to use my phone less throughout the day. The first problem was that I could not connect to data on Sprint. Normally my phone would never connect to Sprint, only T-Mobile or no service. If I manually set it to Sprint I'd get a signal, but no data connection. Project Fi support wasn't any help, they only told me what I already tried.

In the end, I found watching my usage actually meant I used my phone more. I was obsessed with checking my usage stats to make sure apps weren't using data without me knowing, I spent several minutes at a new place looking for WiFi instead of quickly using mobile data and being done with it, I stopped streaming music on the fly and had to pre-download playlists before I left, I couldn't run speed tests for what it would cost me, and overall seemed like a bad deal, especially since I couldn't swap between phones outside of Nexus.

I decided to go to the T-Mobile $30 5GB plan. I get way more data for the price, taxes are much lower, speed tests and music streaming don't count against the 5GB, and I don't have to pay attention to my data usage as I don't get billed per MB.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just an update, I decided to try Project Fi a third time, and got the exact same issues with incoming calls when on the Sprint network. To add to the mix, I kept getting an error when switching to US Cellular - would never let me.

Support worked with me on it for about a week, then I decided to purchase another Nexus 6P on Amazon when they went on sale for $399. I figured I'd cut the problem in half. Either it was Sprint who wasn't able to relay the signal to my phone, or the phone was able to understand the signal from Sprint that a call was coming in.

Got the new 6P today, and everything, including US Cellular, is working as expected. So it would seem I got a bad phone, at least one that has issues with CDMA networks, but not GSM since Project Fi on T-Mobile and Cricket Wireless worked very well.

Since I bought the original Nexus 6P from the Google store as part of the Project Fi invite, I'll see if they will replace it. Otherwise, it will be a good backup phone for my wife or daughter who have Nexus 6's on Cricket Wireless still.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The first 6P should still be under warranty. I would hope they would replace it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    The first 6P should still be under warranty. I would hope they would replace it.
    Called them this morning. After they reviewed all the support tickets from Project Fi, it only took about 10 minutes to get the email link to get the replacement phone. Should get it tomorrow.

Told my wife last night what I was doing, and she got a bit saddened when I said I'd probably return the 6P I picked up at Amazon. She already has the Nexus 6, and she loves the bigger screen, but the 6P is an excellent phone as well. Told her she can buy it from me. :-)

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Please let us know if the new phone makes a difference. I just got a Nexus 5x through Google and when I force it to Sprint, not much happens. I am trying different areas and not much happening. T-Mobile and US Cellular work fine.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Please let us know if the new phone makes a difference. I just got a Nexus 5x through Google and when I force it to Sprint, not much happens. I am trying different areas and not much happening. T-Mobile and US Cellular work fine.
    When you say "not much happens", how do you mean? Do you get some type of error? Timeout? Just curious.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    When you say "not much happens", how do you mean? Do you get some type of error? Timeout? Just curious.
    Can't make a call, it won't go through. I am going to review their coverage map and try from places I should be able to talk.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can't make a call, it won't go through. I am going to review their coverage map and try from places I should be able to talk.
    Good idea. Sensorly is also a good resource if others have passed through an area as well.

Sprint is not everywhere, just like T-Mobile and US Cellular. Where I'm at I have good to great coverage from all three carriers.

Feedback Score
    Hi, Peterfield. You could try the Project Fi forums, too. Very helpful.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    Good idea. Sensorly is also a good resource if others have passed through an area as well.

Sprint is not everywhere, just like T-Mobile and US Cellular. Where I'm at I have good to great coverage from all three carriers.
    Well, I did drive to an area projected to have a strong Sprint signal, manually switched the phone to Sprint, got a 3G signal and successfully made a call. I also saw that my home area is not a native Sprint area so that explains why I couldn't put through a call via the Sprint network.

Feedback Score
    This is a great thread as google Fi and Cricket ar emy top two choices at the moment. I really want to try google... how has everything been with your new phone?

Feedback Score
    This is a great thread as google Fi and Cricket are my top two choices at the moment. I really want to try google... how has everything been with your new phone?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    For the most part, it's been fine. The only annoyance is sometimes it will grab a horrible T-Mobile signal rather than a better Sprint or US Cellular signal. Wifi calling has been great.
    Nexus 5X & 6P on Google Fi
    iPhone 5S on Boom

Redwood Valley, CA (Mendocino County, NW CA)
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    For the most part, it's been fine. The only annoyance is sometimes it will grab a horrible T-Mobile signal rather than a better Sprint or US Cellular signal. Wifi calling has been great.
    That's not an issue here, Sprint doesn't have coverage in Mendocino County, they roam on U.S. Cellular for service The carriers in our county are Verizon, U.S. Cellular, AT&T and T-Mobile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast