Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Extended coverage. Coquihalla HWY

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Extended coverage. Coquihalla HWY

Just curious as to why Rogers doesn't have the lower part of the coquihalla HWY covered in BC. In popular camping spots Rogers has no coverage and Telus has full bars is there certain carrier stipulations as to why they wouldn't get to use extended in certain areas ?

Feedback Score
    Does Rogers have coverage in the surrounding areas? I believe they only allow EXT when they have absolutely no coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    There's a couple spots where there is Bell/Telus coverage and Rogers doesn't have native coverage in the area yet EXT wont connect (not talking about urban/suburban dead zones). Kilgorie, ON is one spot (ext is advertised but it wont connect), there was a guy on Rogers forums saying he couldn't get the service to connect on a lake in eastern ON, Rogers removed the EXT coverage overlay in that area too.

I imagine either Bell/Telus or Rogers have some sort of network capacity reason for not enabling EXT in these areas, or perhaps Bell/Telus just hasn't bothered to enable it on the towers and Rogers hasnt followed up or checked.

From what I can surmise, EXT works on a LAC basis like carriers in the US do for domestic roaming (besides Sprint's CDMA). Basically Bell/Telus enables roaming on the towers for certain regions for Rogers customers. That's why there are some regions you can get EXT and native Rogers coverage and others you can just get Rogers coverage and others where you get neither even though there is Bell/Telus coverage.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z10, LG G2, Nokia N9, LG Optimus V
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    From what I can surmise, EXT works on a LAC basis like carriers in the US do for domestic roaming (besides Sprint's CDMA). Basically Bell/Telus enables roaming on the towers for certain regions for Rogers customers. That's why there are some regions you can get EXT and native Rogers coverage and others you can just get Rogers coverage and others where you get neither even though there is Bell/Telus coverage.
    You are correct that EXT works on a LAC basis. In the OP's case, which I am quite familiar with, it is the last tower just before/after Hope that is part of a LAC in the lower mainland, which Rogers has excluded from roaming, so it will not allow you to access that tower. The towers past the snowshed and in the Coq lakes areas are part of a different LAC that Rogers allows roaming onto.

Rogers has been narrowing the LAC's that they allow roaming on to reduce their costs and at this point in BC, they have blocked all roaming on LAC's in the lower mainland.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1459750448.800156.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  44.6 KB
    This would be the tower i am talking about. The green one on the right. Rogers tower to the left doesn't really cover the same area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I had Rogers-EXT connect automatically to LTE but mostly 3G as soon as I got over the border from New York to Quebec back in January, the area on Rogers' coverage map is completely covered by Rogers so I was surprised it automatically connected to Bell's EXT in the first place

Name:  IMG_1307.PNG
Views: 560
Size:  255.7 KB
    Man gets hit by Brick Phone! Ouch!

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    What is alarming about that section between Hope and the snow shed is that even 911 calls do not go through on Telus (for Rogers/Fido customers).

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I spoke to Rogers regarding this today and they didn't really have an answer for me other than. Most likely Telus hasn't allowed them access to that tower.
    That is probably one of the most important towers needed in regards to safety in BC. If you are correct that even 911 calls won't go thru. That's not good at all. I just presumed that would work

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    What is alarming about that section between Hope and the snow shed is that even 911 calls do not go through on Telus (for Rogers/Fido customers).
    Are you sure that you can't make 911 calls in that area that Telus has coverage but not Rogers? I thought the hard and fast rule (I'm guessing the CTRC enforces it) is that all carriers need to allow 911 calls from any handsets that have the ability to connect to it even from other carriers.

Before EXT there was a new Telus Cell tower built in the Highway between Terrace and Rupert but they did allow 911 calls from Rogers customers on that stretch of highway.
    Perhaps allowing that is on a tower by tower basis, but I would be shocked if that was the case for something as important as 911 calls.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    I have experienced the 911 situation several times and reported it to Rogers. I suspect there is a misconfiguration. On one occasion the rep suggested it would be fixed shortly but that was 6 months ago.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    One question for those that have this problem; do your devices support the radio bands that tower may be on? That's the first thing that came to mind.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    My device does support the bands. Im using an iPhone 6s+ unlocked from Telus

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I was in this area again today for the entire day. Couldn't connect to Rogers EXT. how does someone file a complaint about this?
    Customer service seems to have no clue what I'm talking about when I have called in

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ask to have your call escalated to a member of the network team who may have a better idea what you're talking about and how to go about solving it for you.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    I would keep the pressure on if you can, this isn't some obscure stretch of road, it is the way most people access the L. Mainland and Rogers should have coverage there. I think the challenge for them is that if they allow roaming on the Telus tower there, it means people could also force EXT on some other areas in the lower mainland where Rogers has lots of native coverage. IMO, Rogers should either suck this up or build a tower on this stretch of the highway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast