Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plantronics 5200

Device(s)
    Nokia N82
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

Plantronics 5200

Hey guys looks like Plantronics came out with another headset that looks like the successor the the Voyager Legend.

https://www.plantronics.com/us/produ...fndtn-overview

Name:  voyager-5200-hero.png
Views: 13018
Size:  104.3 KB

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyflip View Post
    Hey guys looks like Plantronics came out with another headset that looks like the successor the the Voyager Legend.

https://www.plantronics.com/us/produ...fndtn-overview

Name:  voyager-5200-hero.png
Views: 13018
Size:  104.3 KB
    I picked this up 2 days ago. It is hands down, the new unquestioned leader in terms of noise cancellation and wind cancellation. I did several test calls outside on a pretty busy street with wind blowing in my face at times. People on the other side thought I was still inside my house. If you care about voice quality and fidelity, and top of the line cancellation, there is no other choice at the moment. Yea, you'll look like a starship captain while wearing it but I could care less since i'm on the phone 3-4 hours per day.

5 out of 5 stars, all my other headsets (including my voyager edge) are going in the drawer.

-Scion

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scion676 View Post
    I picked this up 2 days ago. It is hands down, the new unquestioned leader in terms of noise cancellation and wind cancellation. I did several test calls outside on a pretty busy street with wind blowing in my face at times. People on the other side thought I was still inside my house. If you care about voice quality and fidelity, and top of the line cancellation, there is no other choice at the moment. Yea, you'll look like a starship captain while wearing it but I could care less since i'm on the phone 3-4 hours per day.

5 out of 5 stars, all my other headsets (including my voyager edge) are going in the drawer.

-Scion
    Thanks for that review! I'm currently using the Plantronics Voyager Legend and love it! My only complaint over the years has been battery durability, as I've had to exchanged twice under warranty. I hope long term that is improved upon with the 5200.

Very likely I will be picking this up. Just want to see some more reviews from tech sites first, and YouTube.

Does it use a propriety charger like the Legend?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpimp View Post
    Thanks for that review! I'm currently using the Plantronics Voyager Legend and love it! My only complaint over the years has been battery durability, as I've had to exchanged twice under warranty. I hope long term that is improved upon with the 5200.

Very likely I will be picking this up. Just want to see some more reviews from tech sites first, and YouTube.

Does it use a propriety charger like the Legend?
    It has proprietary charging ports for the portable charging dock/carry case but they also included microUSB on the bottom of the large behind-ear part. Wise move.

Device(s)
    HTC Mogul on SERO
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys,I just picked up a 5220 from best buy. I currently own a legend as well. Initial results are disappointing but I have not tried it in a very noisy environment. In a quiet room it seems no better than the legend with my current phone.

It is also frustrating that it is the exact same size as the legend but they made the charging port just a little different do it doesn't fit in the old charging case.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1460666480824.jpg
Views: 11086
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1460666506663.jpg
Views: 11202
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1460666525362.jpg
Views: 11731
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1460666537482.jpg
Views: 10865
Size:  44.1 KB

Feedback Score
    I have the Plantronics Voyager B235-M, what's the difference between this new one? Any reviews? They look exactly the same based on that picture. I will upgrade my bluetooth headset for sure if this one is a 5 star. For now, I'll just wait for your reviews guys.

Device(s)
    HTC Mogul on SERO
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paulclark View Post
    I have the Plantronics Voyager B235-M, what's the difference between this new one? Any reviews? They look exactly the same based on that picture. I will upgrade my bluetooth headset for sure if this one is a 5 star. For now, I'll just wait for your reviews guys.
    The big differences are the micro USB slot, BT4.x and new colors. IMO the sound quality is not noticeably different. I ended up taking my 5220 back to Best Buy after one day with it. And best of all, I got hassled about the return. At first they said they don't take returns on headsets anymore due to health reasons. When I pointed out that at no point was I told that at purchase time, they "made and exception."

I'm going to pick up another Legend before the prices go up. If the Legend is $99 and the 5220 is $120, it might be worth it for the usb charging port, but when its $59 vs $120, its really hard to recommend the 5220.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    This makes me wonder if they'll be doing a refresh/update of the Voyager Edge sometime soon? After about 15 months of using mine, it just decided that it no longer wants to be detectable/pairable with any of my devices. So, I've ordered a 2nd one from Amazon and it's supposed to be delivered today. It would be just my luck if they came out with a new one right now!
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    Hey guys,I just picked up a 5220 from best buy. I currently own a legend as well. Initial results are disappointing but I have not tried it in a very noisy environment. In a quiet room it seems no better than the legend with my current phone.

It is also frustrating that it is the exact same size as the legend but they made the charging port just a little different do it doesn't fit in the old charging case.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1460666537482.jpg
Views: 10865
Size:  44.1 KB
    Other reviewers are correct in stating that it doesn't offer much if any improvement over the Legend when in an office or room that's relatively quiet. Try walking down the street with a lot of traffic going by and wind blowing around to get a sense of the improvements. It is SIGNIFICANTLY better at handling noise and wind in loud/harsh environments which is why I'm keeping it. Those I call while in the car with the window partially open think I'm in the home office. Those I call when walking down a crowded street and think I'm still at home again is the reason I'm happy with my purchase.If you are using this headset in an office, the Edge or Legend will be just fine. For those that want noise cancellation everywhere that's loud, this offers a solid improvement over the Legend and Edge.

Device(s)
    HTC Mogul on SERO
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scion676 View Post
    Other reviewers are correct in stating that it doesn't offer much if any improvement over the Legend when in an office or room that's relatively quiet. Try walking down the street with a lot of traffic going by and wind blowing around to get a sense of the improvements. It is SIGNIFICANTLY better at handling noise and wind in loud/harsh environments which is why I'm keeping it. Those I call while in the car with the window partially open think I'm in the home office. Those I call when walking down a crowded street and think I'm still at home again is the reason I'm happy with my purchase.If you are using this headset in an office, the Edge or Legend will be just fine. For those that want noise cancellation everywhere that's loud, this offers a solid improvement over the Legend and Edge.
    I recorded two voicemails of me driving 60 in my jeep with a soft top, mud tires and the windows down. Sounds the exact same to me. There is no background noise in either.

Device(s)
    HTC Mogul on SERO
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm wondering if some people are comparing a well worn legend to the 5200. Plantronics headsets have a reputation for degrading over time. I tested a 3 week old legend against the 5200.

Feedback Score
    I recorded two voicemails of me driving 60 in my jeep with a soft top, mud tires and the windows down. Sounds the exact same to me. There is no background noise in either.
    I'm not sure how others are doing their comparisons, but I like to use the Jabra Connect app and record short clips from the different headsets and then listen to them on my wired Bose headset. Using four comparison environments, Quiet, other people speaking nearby, driving at 65, and outside wind and random noise, I tested the 5200 against the Legend, Moto Whisper, and the Vxi Reveal.

To my ears, the 5200 is significantly better outside with wind noise than any of the others, followed by the Reveal. In suppressing other conversations equal in volume to my own voice, the Reveal was cleaner with less clipping on the "noise" voices. The 5200 was slightly better than the legend. In the driving test, the 5200 was the best by a small, but noticeable margin over the Reveal and a definite upgrade over the others. The Legend was virtually tied with the Whisper in each test. In a quiet environment, they are all very good. Plantronics has always had a good DSP for voice, so it sounds a bit more natural than others with the Reveal performing similarly - the larger boom arm helps.

Comfort varies for everyone, but the Legend and 5200 are about the same and both are comfortable for me. The Reveal is noticeably larger, but still comfortable enough for most situations.

My conclusion is the 5200 is a nice upgrade from the Legend and at least the equal to the Reveal. The 5200 is better balanced than the Reveal and, and therefore, more comfortable. BTW, I was never impressed with the Edge's noise cancellation compared to the Legend, so it went back within 24 hrs.

Hope that helps anyone trying to make a purchase decision. For me, it replaces the Whisper and Legend that are showing signs of physical wear.

One comment on Yakky's drive test. That's impressive. With the varying noise of the wind and mud tires, I'm surprise either worked very well. When I drove with the windows open, the buffeting pressure inside the car confused all the headsets and while it sounded OK, the background noise was pretty evident. Maybe the soft top helps with the pressure buffeting inside a hardtop.

Device(s)
    HTC Mogul on SERO
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Its interesting that you like the Reveal. I'm a huge fan of my Voxstar. To my ears its the cleanest sounding headset there is when it gets really noisy. I've got mine modded with a jabra eargel and a foam windsreen, it works great, but boy does it look goofy. It also transmits a bit more background noise.

I've been meaning to post the comparison of the Legend to the 5220. I need to get some time to clean up the audio files. I've been using my voicemail which is a wideband system and calling with a cell call. I've also dabbled with BT Voice Recorder, which works great until you switch headsets and it requires a reboot to work.

I do want to be clear that my voice on either headset does not sound like I'm in an office. If I started a conversation in my office and get in the car, the caller would no doubt think the call clarity went down hill. However neither transmits the crazy sounds my jeep makes. Not sure if its so loud that I don't hear buffeting or I don't have any. It has been mentioned that it sounds like an angry band of demons moaning inside it (mostly because of the roof rack).

Did you have hd-audio enabled for your Legend? IIRC it was not enabled by default for me, where the 5220 was.
    Last edited by yakky; 04-19-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    Its interesting that you like the Reveal. I'm a huge fan of my Voxstar. To my ears its the cleanest sounding headset there is when it gets really noisy. I've got mine modded with a jabra eargel and a foam windsreen, it works great, but boy does it look goofy. It also transmits a bit more background noise.

Did you have hd-audio enabled for your Legend? IIRC it was not enabled by default for me, where the 5220 was.
    Yakky,

Yes, I like the Reveal - but it is bulky and it's BT range is not great. I think it really benefits from the extra inch of boom length - I would guess it's level of pure technology is lower than the legend or 5200.

I do have the Legend on HD Audio, I changed the settings through the app. I'll say that comparing these headsets is like splitting hairs. The Legend, 5200, Whisper, and Reveal are all very good products and a class above most others. The differences are really design choices and given small changes in the noise profile, their relative performance and ranking changes.

My best headset is a wired Plantronics Blackwire, an acoustic noise cancelling mic that performs great, but not very mobile.

Device(s)
    HTC Mogul on SERO
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Pluka, thanks for the feedback on the Reveal. I ordered one and a Whisper to test out. Honestly I want something the size, and really shape of my M165 but with the performance of the Legend.

I was poking around amazon and stumbled upon the Jabra Stealth. I've had mediocre results from previous Jabras. But It was on sale for $61 and there were several reviews from Legend owners that were very favorable, so I figured what the heck. I'm very, very pleasantly surprised at its performance. Its extremely loud on both ends actually. The size is perfect, and the noise cancellation is excellent as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast