Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vodafone Italy 4G

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by leoloca View Post
    Landlines plans in Italy offer unlimited internet at maximum speed available and unlimited calls to landlines and mobile lines, with no distinction between carriers. But if you are with a landline company that doesn't have its own equipment (DSLAM, fiber and so on), but it uses TIM equipment, your speed will be slower than the others, TIM customers have priority on the other customers. Also fiber plans are unlimited and they offer services like cable TV or SIM Card to be used on your tabler outdoor. Every carrier also gives you its own branded router, like Vodafone and its Vodafone Station Revolution:
    http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...ion-Revolution
    Here you can get an idea of Vodafone 2G, 3G, 4G and 4G+ coverage:
    http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...rete-veloce-4G
    You need to scroll down and select "Verifica Copertura"

Fiber backhaul would be cool if it works like in the US, but here TIM doesn't want to share its big fiber with the competitors -.- In the past 2 years Vodafone definitely has the most towers in the country. Thanks to "Spring Plan" and its huge amount of euros, they started to densify their network. Where I live Vodafone has 5 towers, 4 towers have been update to LTE, and Three just 2 towers, no LTE towers for Three, you see how their coverage is really spotty.
    Do carriers in the US share towers? In Italy TIM and Vodafone made an agreement in order to share their towers so they don't need to build a new one if there's already one. 3 and WIND also made the agreement but shared towers are spotty. TIM also has an agreement with RAI (Italian state TV) and they can use RAI antennas towers. WIND instead made an agreement with ENEL (electrical state company), WIND uses ENEL trellises for microwaves and so on.
    In Milan, Vodafone, is first carrier for customers and towers of any kind, and their LTE network is super fast and reliable, all the city is covered by LTE Advanced B3+B7.
    In the subways coverage is provided in the stations and in tunnels and that's really good. In Rome they don't have such a good coverage in subways, I've been abroad and I found the same problem in other cities.
    Hahahah, voice messages are very common around here, I think we learn from the Chinese people, they love voice messages.
    Yes, carriers share towers here in the US. Most towers are owned by tower management companies such as Crown Castle or American Tower, and carriers pay them monthly leases to colocate on their towers. So it's common to see 1 to 4 carriers on a single tower. So basically put, carriers don't own their own towers (they use to, but in the past years they've all sold their towers for billions of dollars to American Tower and Crown Castle). I think here they share their fiber because nobody has a truly nationwide fiber network. AT&T might have a lot of fiber in some parts of the country, Verizon in other parts, and so on. Then there's always the cable providers, who also have fiber in their own parts of the country (where also Verizon and AT&T have fiber).

If Wind has an agreement with ENEL, can they place small cells on power poles? Or does Italy not have above ground power poles? I imagine in an LTE world that would create an amazing network if they have access to all power poles.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leoloca View Post
    In Italy nobody has ever offered unlimited plans, just big amount of data like 20GB/month, but I never see unlimited plans, and sincerely I thought they weren't that expensive O: .....
    Actually, Wind had an unlimited data bolt-on for 20€/mo but that was back in the GPRS days. (Trivia)
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Actually, Wind had an unlimited data bolt-on for 20€/mo but that was back in the GPRS days. (Trivia)
    Ha. Reminds me of the days I had unlimited T-Zones data on T-Mobile for $5.99/month.

Feedback Score
    Name:  Screenshot_20160420-223439.png
Views: 285
Size:  709.2 KB

Virgin Mobile Canada

Feedback Score
    Hi everyone! I'm back and I'll share with you some vodafone IT LTE speed tests:
    B20 (800Mhz) 10x10, outside big cities:

B3 (1800Mhz) 15x15, Milan subway, Saturday night:

CA B3 + B20 (1800Mhz + 800Mhz), 15x15 + 10x10:

CA B7 + B3 (2600Mhz + 1800Mhz), 15x15 + 15x15, Milan downtown:

Feedback Score
    Wow, those are some great speeds! When I was in Milan in August of last year, I was going to get a Vodafone SIM, but unfortunately they were closing and I was forced to buy one from 3. Coverage in the city center and at the Expo was great, and I typically got around 60 mbps down, but at the apartment where I was staying (outside the city center but still within the city) it would roam voice-only on TIM. Around Lake Como things were pretty spotty but I was able to get some 3G and 4G in the city of Como itself.
    My fastest speed tests:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mackat1 View Post
    Wow, those are some great speeds! When I was in Milan in August of last year, I was going to get a Vodafone SIM, but unfortunately they were closing and I was forced to buy one from 3. Coverage in the city center and at the Expo was great, and I typically got around 60 mbps down, but at the apartment where I was staying (outside the city center but still within the city) it would roam voice-only on TIM. Around Lake Como things were pretty spotty but I was able to get some 3G and 4G in the city of Como itself.
    Yeah, Vodafone is the most reliable network in Italy, now it's getting ready to launch three carriers aggregation 800+1800+2600 up to 300Mbps. They're also launching dual carrier aggregation using frequencies of different antennas.
    3 it's good in big cities, but as you saw outside cities you might be roaming on TIM. Now things are changing, roaming will be soon on WIND, in the future 3 and WIND are going to merge if the EU will let them, this is going to help to improve their coverage and LTE speed.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3