Thread: Got Huawei Ascend Mate 2 for $60, Questions

Feedback Score

Got Huawei Ascend Mate 2 for $60, Questions

Over the weekend I got a Huawei Ascend Mate 2, white, excellent condition, for only $60. It has already been updated to Android 5.1. I have played around it quite a bit and I really like it. It hits the marks for me--GPS locks on and stays that way, it doesn't lag (most notably it doesn't shut down Maps/Navigation running in the background if I'm doing other things), and it has great RF performance, delivering a good signal at my house which is well in the boonies and other phones (most notably the ZTE Grand X Max + I'd used previously) had failed to do. I've gotten around its unusual Android behavior of no apps drawer by using Nova Prime (which I use anyway). I've learned other quirks--when installing via side-loading the .apk files from the microSD, ALLOW apps to run in the background (that's why 1Weather and kept disappearing and NoLED wasn't informing me of anything, I learned) and DO NOT delete the installation package when prompted (it was deleting the .apk files off of the microSD).

There are a few quirks, the main one I'm struggling with--when changing wallpaper via the Android settings, it keeps putting a "divider" down the middle vertically, sort of "splitting off" what I'm telling it to do vs what I want it to do, basically showing me two different halves. The only way around this I've found is running "Perfect Viewer," a 3rd party picture viewing app, browsing to wallpapers I've downloaded and using IT to set the wallpaper. I can also get respectable results sometimes long-pressing and having Nova handle it. However, if I want to use the built-in wallpapers the phone comes with, the only way to do that is through the Android settings and when I do that it "splits" this wallpaper in half, showing this wallpaper on one side and the previous wallpaper on the other. NOTHING I do stops this.

Is there anyway around this? Alternatively, where are the file locations for the built-in wallpaper? This way I could browse there using Perfect Viewer or ES File Explorer and then I'd be OK.

Device(s)
    LG VX3100
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
    Over the weekend I got a Huawei Ascend Mate 2, white, excellent condition, for only $60. It has already been updated to Android 5.1. I have played around it quite a bit and I really like it. It hits the marks for me--GPS locks on and stays that way, it doesn't lag (most notably it doesn't shut down Maps/Navigation running in the background if I'm doing other things), and it has great RF performance, delivering a good signal at my house which is well in the boonies and other phones (most notably the ZTE Grand X Max + I'd used previously) had failed to do. I've gotten around its unusual Android behavior of no apps drawer by using Nova Prime (which I use anyway). I've learned other quirks--when installing via side-loading the .apk files from the microSD, ALLOW apps to run in the background (that's why 1Weather and kept disappearing and NoLED wasn't informing me of anything, I learned) and DO NOT delete the installation package when prompted (it was deleting the .apk files off of the microSD).

There are a few quirks, the main one I'm struggling with--when changing wallpaper via the Android settings, it keeps putting a "divider" down the middle vertically, sort of "splitting off" what I'm telling it to do vs what I want it to do, basically showing me two different halves. The only way around this I've found is running "Perfect Viewer," a 3rd party picture viewing app, browsing to wallpapers I've downloaded and using IT to set the wallpaper. I can also get respectable results sometimes long-pressing and having Nova handle it. However, if I want to use the built-in wallpapers the phone comes with, the only way to do that is through the Android settings and when I do that it "splits" this wallpaper in half, showing this wallpaper on one side and the previous wallpaper on the other. NOTHING I do stops this.

Is there anyway around this? Alternatively, where are the file locations for the built-in wallpaper? This way I could browse there using Perfect Viewer or ES File Explorer and then I'd be OK.
    Wow. You never mentioned exactly where you found a HAM 2 for that price

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
    We work to fully solve issues, we try to help improve the situation of people who need this help. That is an honorable purpose and makes this worth the effort.