Thread: Pantech C740 USB cable part number?

Feedback Score

Pantech C740 USB cable part number?

Does anyone know the part number for this cable?

I thought USB was supposed to be some sort of standard, but EVERYTHING I have with a supposed MicroUSB port has a different connector - currently 1 tablet, 3 cell phones, 2 cameras, and a music player.

Feedback Score
    Hi James,

I know this is an old post, but since no one replied to you:

The Pantech C740's connector is not USB. It is a 16-pin proprietary connector. If you do a Google Search for "pantech c740 connector" (I'm not allowed to post links yet), the first link will show you that it is proprietary, and has more technical information if you need the pinout.

Have Fun!

-Cory

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. I did find a cable for it on eBay, with the search you suggested.

WRT whether it's a USB cable or not, I suppose that depends on how you look at it. I think if one end plugs into a standard USB port (e.g. on a PC), then it ought to be considered USB. But there are a lot of devices out there with one USB end and one proprietary one; from my experience, more than have standard connectors :-(

Feedback Score
    Hi James,

I had not considered the other side of the cable being the reason you called it a USB cable, that makes sense now.

Two of the four wires in a USB (or half USB) cable are 5 volts (and the other ground), so it is a convenient and nearly universal source for 5V DC, so it saves manufacturers money by providing that instead of having the expense of providing a plug-in power supply that converts your house's 110V AC power (assuming you are in the U.S.) to 5V DC. In fact, internally these cables that use USB solely for power often don't even have the other two wires (which normally transfer data)

So personally, I wouldn't call it a USB cable, but I now see where you are coming from and agree that it's splitting hairs.

Anyway, I'm glad you found the cable you need!

-Cory

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CVeRiTy View Post
    I had not considered the other side of the cable being the reason you called it a USB cable, that makes sense now.
    Well, the other side of the cable being a standard USB plug is only half the reason I think they're USB cables. The other half is that most of the devices I own that have the non-standard plugs on the device end actually are USB devices, or can be used as such. The PanTech, for instance, goes to USB mass storage mode when I plug it in, so I can mount it as if it were a USB drive and transfer files &c.