Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fi now has a third carrier!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Fi's maps already show some interesting coverage in places like Valentine, NE, where neither Sprint nor T-Mobile provide native service. Either, they're already showing the USCC coverage or they've been using Viaero all along.
    The Fi service seems to be capable of using the main participants' roaming partner services. I have seen my GoogleFi phone use Pioneer's 3G in places where neither T-Mobile or Sprint have service. Pioneer is a 3G roaming partner for Sprint because Sprint has no service in the northwest quarter of Oklahoma. It can't use Pioneer's LTE service, probably because it's LTEiRA with Verizon, but their 3G works just fine. Being able to use Sprint and T-Mobile's roaming partners is a good thing for coverage.

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    The Fi service seems to be capable of using the main participants' roaming partner services. I have seen my GoogleFi phone use Pioneer's 3G in places where neither T-Mobile or Sprint have service. Pioneer is a 3G roaming partner for Sprint because Sprint has no service in the northwest quarter of Oklahoma. It can't use Pioneer's LTE service, probably because it's LTEiRA with Verizon, but their 3G works just fine. Being able to use Sprint and T-Mobile's roaming partners is a good thing for coverage.
    Of course it's capable of using the roaming partners. For example, there are large parts of Michigan where there are only two carriers--Verizon and AT&T, yet Google Fi works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    ....Being able to use Sprint and T-Mobile's roaming partners is a good thing for coverage.
    But it seems to be very selective. Our Fi phone has roamed AT&T in some places but not Verizon. I think Fi roams some of Sprint's preferred partners but not Verizon or CSpire. If they roamed CSpire, Mississippi would be completely covered. If they roamed Verizon, their coverage map would look like Verizon's.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    Of course it's capable of using the roaming partners. For example, there are large parts of Michigan where there are only two carriers--Verizon and AT&T, yet Google Fi works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's very selective. Sprint and US Cellular have pretty much nationwide roaming on Verizon, however only in select areas may you actually roam on Verizon or AT&T with Fi. Fi support has said currently only native US Cellular coverage will be included, however they are working to include their roaming partners in the future.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    It's very selective. Sprint and US Cellular have pretty much nationwide roaming on Verizon,
    Also, onto USCC, since Sprint doesn't have coverage here in Mendocino County, they use USCC for service, and Verizon also roams In-market onto USCC here in dead spots, and vice versa. Project Fi has roamed onto USCC here in T-Mobile dead spots for a while, since USCC is Sprint's roaming partner here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    Of course it's capable of using the roaming partners. For example, there are large parts of Michigan where there are only two carriers--Verizon and AT&T, yet Google Fi works just fine. k
    Roaming is very hit-or-miss. Many complaints from Nexus 5X users that they don't get roaming, ever.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hfmo88 View Post
    Roaming is very hit-or-miss. Many complaints from Nexus 5X users that they don't get roaming, ever.
    I'm wondering why the phone would matter if it is based on the Fi sim and Fi app. The radio band support of the 5X is the same as the 6P, no?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    I'm wondering why the phone would matter if it is based on the Fi sim and Fi app. The radio band support of the 5X is the same as the 6P, no?
    It may be based on the mis-impression that many people have that they should be able to roam AT&T everywhere. Using T-Mobile's roaming as a basis, they only allow AT&T roaming in a very limited number of places, everywhere else is LAC-blocked. So if someone expects that he'll be able to roam AT&T just because he doesn't have either T-Mobile or Sprint, he's in for a disappointment.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Fi now has a third carrier!

there is some anecdotal evidence that the nexus 6 might have or have had at one point more roaming available than the 6p or 5x.

e.g. see http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1873873
    Last edited by mch; 06-17-2016 at 11:34 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    there is some anecdotal evidence that the nexus 6 might have or have had at one point more roaming available than the 6p or 5x.

e.g. see http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1873873
    Again, why or how if the SIM and app are the same? I don't understand how it would be possible even.

Device(s)
    Pixel, iPhone X, iPad Pro, LG V30, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is USCC LTE active on FI yet?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Is USCC LTE active on FI yet?
    The roll out may well be phased.

what happens on your phone when you try
    *#*#34872#*#*

that is likely the force code.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Again, why or how if the SIM and app are the same? I don't understand how it would be possible even.
    The radios could be different.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The SIMs may not have been the same. The 6P and 5X required a newer SIM card -- those that upgraded from a Nexus 6 had to get a new SIM card if they upgraded phones, the old SIM card does not work in the new phones. So it may be something related to the older SIM card.

Device(s)
    Pixel2, s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, Red Pocket/vzw, Tello, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    The problem on the 5x is that the settings got botched and the 5x is on home only rather than automatic. It is all hidden from view so you would not know it. There are a couple threads on it, one on xda. Supposedly a Google issue so no easy fix.
    --
    CellGuru

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast