Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fi now has a third carrier!

Device(s)
    s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, CellNuvo, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    The roll out may well be phased.

what happens on your phone when you try
    *#*#34872#*#*

that is likely the force code.
    The code is live on my N6.

It's not ready yet.

EV/DO data is working.

1x data is not working,

LTE is not working.

The CDMA radio is not programmed (no MIN and no PRL). There is no voice so you get the USCC intercept "you are roaming" message.
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, CellNuvo, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    Re-loaded Fi app and USC has been activated with new MIN and PRL. Voice, 1x and EV fully operational.

No LTE. Looking at the Fi map and the press release, it does not explicitly state that you will get LTE on USC. Time will tell.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    Looking at the Fi map and the press release, it does not explicitly state that you will get LTE on USC. Time will tell.
    Looking at Fi's new coverage map for SW Wisconsin, where USCC is really the only carrier worth their salt in that area, it does show LTE coverage around the towns, with 2G and 3G in the outlying areas. Pretty much what I would expect, as there are a lot of hills in that part of the state.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Good to know. When I first switch to USCC it hangs out on Band 5 LTE (LTE engineering screen) before falling back to EV/DO, so must be that it is not quite there yet. The coverage map does not have the latest T-Mobile band 12 LTE coverage areas here in NH yet either.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Re-loaded Fi app and USC has been activated with new MIN and PRL. Voice, 1x and EV fully operational.

No LTE. Looking at the Fi map and the press release, it does not explicitly state that you will get LTE on USC. Time will tell.
    From what I've read on the Fi Google Group from a Fi employee, USCC will be operational as part of a Fi app update between now and mid-July. I roamed on USCC when I was on Mt Washington, but it was just 1x roaming, I'm guessing it's the same roaming Sprint gets in the area.

Good to know. When I first switch to USCC it hangs out on Band 5 LTE (LTE engineering screen) before falling back to EV/DO, so must be that it is not quite there yet. The coverage map does not have the latest T-Mobile band 12 LTE coverage areas here in NH yet either.
    The Fi map shows new LTE in USCC only areas, so I would assume they plan to implement LTE on USCC. Areas like western NH (Hillsborough, Deering, Dunbarton, etc.) show LTE where Sprint and T-Mobile have no towers. I did notice that they don't show band 12 LTE, or many of the new T-Mobile towers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ok, LTE on USC today! Sideloaded Project Fi J.2.5.12, cleared data on the phone app, and we're good!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Excellent news.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    If I force USCC (34872) on my Nexus 6p, I seem to be able to roam on VZW, SID 6 here in Seattle. 1x/EV-DO only though, but an outgoing voice call worked and there is data connectivity.

I wonder if that will last.
    Last edited by mch; 06-30-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    For me, it would be interesting if they added CSpire as a partner, even just 2G would help. T-Mobile and Sprint don't cover rural MS very well.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Jet Black in product red battery case
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless "$25 /30-day plan", Page Plus "standard plan"
    Feedback Score
    US Cellular is HUGE for me, It is the only cell company that has good rural coverage here in Central Oregon.

I don't use my cell phone much (I have VOIP land line "ooma" that is free for me) so spending $20 month just to have the service is kinda high for me..... $10 mo for limited use would be much better for me to accept.

Paying for what you use data..... Is a great concept.

That said, I may have to bite the bullet and just go with P-Fi

Redwood Valley, CA/Moving back to Pocatello, ID in April, 2018
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skypros View Post
    US Cellular is HUGE for me, It is the only cell company that has good rural coverage here in Central Oregon.

I don't use my cell phone much (I have VOIP land line "ooma" that is free for me) so spending $20 month just to have the service is kinda high for me..... $10 mo for limited use would be much better for me to accept.

Paying for what you use data..... Is a great concept.

That said, I may have to bite the bullet and just go with P-Fi
    It's huge up here in rural Northwestern California too, U.S. Cellular has the best coverage of any of the carriers here, though Verizon is very close, and AT&T isn't far behind. T-Mobile has made a good showing lately, but they're still behind the other guys. I'm in Redwood Valley in Mendocino County myself, halfway between Ukiah and Willits, or 120 miles northwest of San Francisco.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Decided to try Project Fi again now that US Cellular is on board.

The down side is that USCC hasn't ported to everyone yet, so I'm still with either T-Mobile and Sprint. Both have decent to great coverage where I am, but USCC's coverage in the rural areas of southern WI is by far the best of the three, and incoming calls from Sprint are still intermittent.

I've talked to two Project Fi support technicians, and they both said that even though July was supposed to be the month to have everyone added to USCC, there is still a good chunk of customers that will have to wait a couple weeks before the next app update happens. Right now I get "Invalid MCC/MDC" when I try to manually force USCC.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    Decided to try Project Fi again now that US Cellular is on board.

The down side is that USCC hasn't ported to everyone yet, so I'm still with either T-Mobile and Sprint. Both have decent to great coverage where I am, but USCC's coverage in the rural areas of southern WI is by far the best of the three, and incoming calls from Sprint are still intermittent.

I've talked to two Project Fi support technicians, and they both said that even though July was supposed to be the month to have everyone added to USCC, there is still a good chunk of customers that will have to wait a couple weeks before the next app update happens. Right now I get "Invalid MCC/MDC" when I try to manually force USCC.
    I can confirm this as far as the fact that I just signed up for a new Fi line. No USCC. Trying to select USCC via code gives the same error message. Sprint and T-mobile work fine though. My other Fi line has USCC.

I did speak with Fi support, and the person I spoke to had no useful information other than suggesting power cycling my phone, switching in and out of airplane mode, etc. Sounds like you got a hold of someone who had a few more clues.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like you got a hold of someone who had a few more clues.
    I had to talk to two techs before I got a real answer, but until then they did the same to me as they did to you (phone recycle, clear cache, etc).

I know Project Fi support is fast, but I'd rather wait 5 more minutes and get someone who knows how to help than someone not up to speed on things calling me right away.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    One thing I've noticed with Fi, is that in theory the ability to use 3 carriers where you connect to the best one is not how it works in reality. If you are in an area with weak coverage with some of the carriers, often times you will be stuck with poor 2G/3G signal, even if another carrier has strong LTE. If you are driving and there are certain areas where a carrier doesn't have service, you don't simply connect to the next carrier like you would when connecting to the next tower, you often have long period of no service before it reconnects. During my trip through Maine, I would go from T-Mobile LTE > Sprint 1x even if US Cellular had strong LTE.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast