Thread: Use Fi sim periodically?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Use Fi sim periodically?

I was curious if I could get Fi but then deactivate my account except for around a few times a year when my wife and I travel to visit family. The addition of US cellular is a big plus now. Can you basically is fi as a true prepaid provider and just activate it as needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, CellNuvo, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    You can suspend service up to three months (except military up to 39 mos), then it will automatically resume. You keep your number during the suspension but you cannot use the number (hangouts will not work either).

If you want to deactivate, you can port your number to Google Voice (or elsewhere) and you would need a new SIM and start over on your next visit. Or if you do not need the number, just cancel, and then start over.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    They told me reactivation can take up to a week so when I inquired......That was maybe back in February 2016.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I believe the number associated with Fi (your Google Voice number), also gets suspended when Fi is suspended, so you can't suspend Fi and use your GV number on another carrier.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtraveler85 View Post
    They told me reactivation can take up to a week so when I inquired......That was maybe back in February 2016.
    Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking about suspending my account two more times and then nuking it after a couple of trips. T-Mobile/Sprint coverage is horrible where I live (no band 12 on T-Mo because of stupid UHF station).

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisereg View Post
    Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking about suspending my account two more times and then nuking it after a couple of trips. T-Mobile/Sprint coverage is horrible where I live (no band 12 on T-Mo because of stupid UHF station).
    Why would you get Fi if you have bad Sprint and T-Mobile coverage? When you suspend Fi, you also suspend your GV number tied to Fi.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Why would you get Fi if you have bad Sprint and T-Mobile coverage? When you suspend Fi, you also suspend your GV number tied to Fi.
    Mostly for the International roaming. Also, I hadn't been on Sprint for 6+ years in this area so I was hoping it'd had gotten better.

I don't have my main GV # tied to the service, so that isn't an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk