Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Mofi 4500

Feedback Score
    They're supposed to update it again in October/November with 5ghz support and hopefully gigabit Ethernet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan31 View Post
    They're supposed to update it again in October/November with 5ghz support and hopefully gigabit Ethernet.
    I wonder which chinese router they're going to use.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by calimansi808 View Post
    I wonder which chinese router they're going to use.
    Why would a Firmware Update for the MoFi 4500 Sim 4 model require a Chinese router?
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Why would a Firmware Update for the MoFi 4500 Sim 4 model require a Chinese router?
    It's a repeated criticism repeated through comments on Amazon reviews. One guy says that you can make your own 4500 SIM4 for much less by buying a specific router from China (I wasn't able to find it actually available to purchase anywhere) for $35 and then installing an LTE modem inside.

Adding 5Ghz or gigabit would require more than a firmware update. It would have to be a new hardware version.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brenth77 View Post
    It's a repeated criticism repeated through comments on Amazon reviews. One guy says that you can make your own 4500 SIM4 for much less by buying a specific router from China (I wasn't able to find it actually available to purchase anywhere) for $35 and then installing an LTE modem inside.
    Well, I'm choosing to see things this way: The MoFi 4500 SIM 4 is about $300, and its built-in modem supports ALL the LTE Bands in use in North America, and maybe even Europe. It's unlocked and carrier agnostic, so you can put in a SIM from the carrier of your choice and use it!

Meanwhile, the truest competition for the MoFi 4500 SIM 4 is the combination of a Cradlepoint MBR 1400 Router and a carrier-specific Modem Cap. To get that set-up with a Verizon Modem Cap costs $800!!!

And on top of that, I've never heard of the Cradlepoint set-up letting you lock in a particular LTE Band, or force the modem into Carrier Aggregated Mode. The MoFi 4500 SIM 4 is the ONLY device I've heard of that gives you that level of control over your LTE connection. So for me, it was a no-brainer!

But as always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm choosing to see things this way: The MoFi 4500 SIM 4 is about $300, and its built-in modem supports ALL the LTE Bands in use in North America, and maybe even Europe. It's unlocked and carrier agnostic, so you can put in a SIM from the carrier of your choice and use it!

Meanwhile, the truest competition for the MoFi 4500 SIM 4 is the combination of a Cradlepoint MBR 1400 Router and a carrier-specific Modem Cap. To get that set-up with a Verizon Modem Cap costs $800!!!

And on top of that, I've never heard of the Cradlepoint set-up letting you lock in a particular LTE Band, or force the modem into Carrier Aggregated Mode. The MoFi 4500 SIM 4 is the ONLY device I've heard of that gives you that level of control over your LTE connection. So for me, it was a no-brainer!

Exactly. The guy commenting on Amazon was saying that the specific router and modem he mentioned were literally the same hardware that Mofi was putting together and selling, but $300 is far from gouging - especially considering what a nitch market this is

Plus, I've tried many many times in the past to cobble together my own solutions to things on the cheap. Usually, it's been more headache than it's worth. Took me years to finally give up on Windows Media Center in favor of TiVo and wondered ever since why I didn't do it sooner.

Feedback Score
    @brenth77
    Amazon review says he bought it from china. Alibaba seems pretty close.

Gah I hate that site...Although I've never actually used it because everything i've ever needed to buy from there needed a 100pcs order minimum.
    Last edited by sims; 09-26-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    @brenth77
    Amazon review says he bought it from china. Alibaba seems pretty close.

Gah I hate that site...Although I've never actually used it because everything i've ever needed to buy from there needed a 100pcs order minimum.
    You're probably right. I think all I could find was listings with 100 minimum, too. I must have missed the ones you linked to. I think when I found someplace selling the modem he said he got, it was like $250 or $300 just for it. Probably cheaper somewhere else, though.

Feedback Score
    The aircard MC7455 can be had for $192 from china on ebay

Feedback Score
    So for those who have the mofi can you really look into a specific lte band? That sounds great because some of the bands offer better speeds but somehow the devices like to get connected to the one with the most signal even if it sacrifices data speed.

Also how does it compare to this https://cradlepoint.com/products/aer-3100#!specs besides the different price points?

Feedback Score
    Well that one is $1,650 , has 13 gigabit ports, up to 4 ports poe out, supports 5ghz wifi ac, cloud managed, band 17 support, dual sim slots.

Feedback Score
    brenth77 is correct. The current mofi router has 2.4ghz n for wifi and 100 mbps ethernet. If they are going to go with 5ghz and gigabit ethernet, they need to change the model of router they're using. I'm just guessing that they're going to use a cheap chinese router because that's what they've done in the past.

Feedback Score

Jack - You are correct. The modem in the mofi supports all carriers in the US. I have personally tried it with all 4 and it works really, really well because it supports all of the lte bands and all the newest technologies. Yes, you can lock to any band you want and get all kinds of diagnotics using this modem. The mofi router may or many not have all of these bands built into the GUI. If it doesn't, you just need to log into the modem using a terminal program and change it yourself.

Yes, the mofi does seem cheaper than offerings from cradlepoint or pepwave. When I did a cost analysis, I found that mofi is making approximately $100 per router. Again, this might not seem like much, but for what you get, I think they are not being fair and honest with their customers. Their support is lacking and they do have bugs in their router. Plus the router is using 5 to 10 year old technology. The technology thing is not for stability, but rather going with a cheap option that looks "rugged."

Look, I really wanted this to work. I wanted to get the mofi router for myself and turn on all the bells and whistles. I wanted to push the router to its limits and work with mofi to squash any bugs and just have super stable cellular internet at home. I didn't get that feeling even before I purchased the router. If it works for you with no bugs, stick with it. For me, I want more from a "business grade router."

Feedback Score
    brenth77 is correct. The current mofi router has 2.4ghz n for wifi and 100 mbps ethernet. If they are going to go with 5ghz and gigabit ethernet, they need to change the model of router they're using. I'm just guessing that they're going to use a cheap chinese router because that's what they've done in the past.
    If the Mofi is inferior or doesn't work because it uses cheap Chinese components, won't the home-made one made from the same components suffer all the same problems?

If it doesn't work, I'd be inclined to look for different components rather than just ordering the same components for less.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Jack - You are correct. The modem in the mofi supports all carriers in the US. I have personally tried it with all 4 and it works really, really well because it supports all of the lte bands and all the newest technologies. Yes, you can lock to any band you want and get all kinds of diagnotics using this modem. The mofi router may or many not have all of these bands built into the GUI. If it doesn't, you just need to log into the modem using a terminal program and change it yourself.
    I just checked out the options with my T-Mobile SIM in it. It definitely seems to allow me to lock-in on a specific Band, but I do NOT see an option to force Carrier Aggregation on T-Mobile.

Yes, the mofi does seem cheaper than offerings from cradlepoint or pepwave. When I did a cost analysis, I found that mofi is making approximately $100 per router. Again, this might not seem like much, but for what you get, I think they are not being fair and honest with their customers. Their support is lacking and they do have bugs in their router. Plus the router is using 5 to 10 year old technology. The technology thing is not for stability, but rather going with a cheap option that looks "rugged."

Look, I really wanted this to work. I wanted to get the mofi router for myself and turn on all the bells and whistles. I wanted to push the router to its limits and work with mofi to squash any bugs and just have super stable cellular internet at home. I didn't get that feeling even before I purchased the router. If it works for you with no bugs, stick with it. For me, I want more from a "business grade router."
    I realize that what I'm about to say will come as a newsflash for some on HoFo, but any business that wants to stay in business operates in a FOR PROFIT manner, and they have every right to do so. And MoFi doesn't only slap a "cheap Chinese router" together with "an LTE modem" and then call it a day. They also load it with their business class admin firmware/software that offers all the business grade options that consumer grade routers are not allowed to have. It costs money to develop that firmware/software. MoFi has to cover those development costs somehow. And again, they have every right to make a little money, too.

If you're willing to pay the ridiculously high price of a competing solution from Cradlepoint, and if that's the option that works best for you, then by all means, have at it. I understand that for many businesses using the equipment for mission critical tasks, the Cradlepoint equipment may be worth every penny. But I did my own cost analysis, and decided that I can't justify spending an extra $500 for a solution that locks me into one specific carrier, incurring more costs whenever I change carriers (as I'd have to buy a new Modem Cap which can cost as much as $450 every time I change carriers,) and which may not even allow me to lock onto particular Bands if/when I choose to do so.

And lastly, I've had a bad experience in the past, where my Xbox 360 was no longer able to connect to the internet through my Cradlepoint MBR-95 router after an Xbox OS update, even if I assign the Xbox a Static IP and place it in the De-Militarized Zone, and neither Microsoft nor Cradlepoint will fix the problem. So I've had to change to other brands of equipment to make sure ALL my devices can get online.

But as always, Your Mileage May Vary! ;-)

P.S. On the subject of the Ethernet Ports, it's my understanding from reading articles and buyer's guides written by well-respected computer magazines that pretty much EVERY computer device manufactured in the last several years has Gigabit Ethernet Ports installed in it, even if that fact isn't specifically advertised. Supposedly, that's pretty much the only Ethernet Ports being manufactured anymore. But I can confirm that at the present time, the WiFi does NOT include AC as one of the selectable frequencies, even though the box states that it's AC compatible.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast