Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Mofi 4500

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    And lastly, I've had a bad experience in the past, where my Xbox 360 was no longer able to connect to the internet through my Cradlepoint MBR-95 router after an Xbox OS update, even if I assign the Xbox a Static IP and place it in the De-Militarized Zone, and neither Microsoft nor Cradlepoint will fix the problem. So I've had to change to other brands of equipment to make sure ALL my devices can get online.
    I wasn't happy with my experiences with CradlePoint MBR-95, either. Had to reboot it a lot and some minor issues of some traffic types being messed up even with firewall modifications. Support had no answers.

Most frustrating for me was when they stopped issuing any kind of firmware updates outside of their subscription services. Not sure whether they still work that way or not.

Feedback Score
    P.S. On the subject of the Ethernet Ports, it's my understanding from reading articles and buyer's guides written by well-respected computer magazines that pretty much EVERY computer device manufactured in the last several years has Gigabit Ethernet Ports installed in it, even if that fact isn't specifically advertised. Supposedly, that's pretty much the only Ethernet Ports being manufactured anymore. But I can confirm that at the present time, the WiFi does NOT include AC as one of the selectable frequencies, even though the box states that it's AC compatible.
    I received my MoFi last week from 4GHS, great experience working with Robert, and it was cheaper than buying direct from MoFi, I also thought I read on 4GHS that if you buy hardware from them and keep an active plan your hardware is covered by lifetime warranty as long as you have service, could be wrong though

My box actually says "Upgradeable to 802.11 AC" I thought I read somewhere October/November timeframe.

My question though is if they come out with a model with gigabit will they sell you just the board and allow you to move the modem etc to the new one, or some type of trade in program, would hate to have just bought the SIM4 v2 and they come out with a SIM4 v3 next month, but then again MoFi does offer 30 no questions asked return

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brenth77 View Post
    If the Mofi is inferior or doesn't work because it uses cheap Chinese components, won't the home-made one made from the same components suffer all the same problems?

If it doesn't work, I'd be inclined to look for different components rather than just ordering the same components for less.
    brenth77 - We got everything to work through software and configuration updates. Mofi uses an older version of openwrt. They probably don't like to change versions often because of the costs. You can disassemble the firmware yourself to see.

I have the latest version of openwrt on my zbt.

Feedback Score
    I just checked out the options with my T-Mobile SIM in it. It definitely seems to allow me to lock-in on a specific Band, but I do NOT see an option to force Carrier Aggregation on T-Mobile.

I realize that what I'm about to say will come as a newsflash for some on HoFo, but any business that wants to stay in business operates in a FOR PROFIT manner, and they have every right to do so. And MoFi doesn't only slap a "cheap Chinese router" together with "an LTE modem" and then call it a day. They also load it with their business class admin firmware/software that offers all the business grade options that consumer grade routers are not allowed to have. It costs money to develop that firmware/software. MoFi has to cover those development costs somehow. And again, they have every right to make a little money, too.

If you're willing to pay the ridiculously high price of a competing solution from Cradlepoint, and if that's the option that works best for you, then by all means, have at it. I understand that for many businesses using the equipment for mission critical tasks, the Cradlepoint equipment may be worth every penny. But I did my own cost analysis, and decided that I can't justify spending an extra $500 for a solution that locks me into one specific carrier, incurring more costs whenever I change carriers (as I'd have to buy a new Modem Cap which can cost as much as $450 every time I change carriers,) and which may not even allow me to lock onto particular Bands if/when I choose to do so.

And lastly, I've had a bad experience in the past, where my Xbox 360 was no longer able to connect to the internet through my Cradlepoint MBR-95 router after an Xbox OS update, even if I assign the Xbox a Static IP and place it in the De-Militarized Zone, and neither Microsoft nor Cradlepoint will fix the problem. So I've had to change to other brands of equipment to make sure ALL my devices can get online.

But as always, Your Mileage May Vary! ;-)

P.S. On the subject of the Ethernet Ports, it's my understanding from reading articles and buyer's guides written by well-respected computer magazines that pretty much EVERY computer device manufactured in the last several years has Gigabit Ethernet Ports installed in it, even if that fact isn't specifically advertised. Supposedly, that's pretty much the only Ethernet Ports being manufactured anymore. But I can confirm that at the present time, the WiFi does NOT include AC as one of the selectable frequencies, even though the box states that it's AC compatible.
    Hey, I'm willing to pay for support if it makes sense. Basically 1/3 of the cost is for support, profit, marketing, etc.

Of course you can't just buy hardware from different vendors, slap it together and expect it to work. I know that it takes software. My point is that they're charging a premium on this to the consumer. They took the cheapest router with the most expensive modem and got openwrt to work on it. Openwrt is definitely not business class. It's a hackers OS to get more features without the price. I mean, there's even an option in there to reboot if there are any network issues. Businesses don't just reboot on error; they need to stay up and running. This option is just a quick fix for an error that would take a lot more money to actually fix.

Again, if it completely worked and they gave top notch support, I would be all in on this. It means they probably have a team or a person that knows linux like the back of his hand supporting the product. If something seemed to be broken they would fix it quick.

With regards to the MBR, that's a cheaper router, isn't it. I never owned one, but I believe the cost was between $100 and $150 and you supply a modem from a different vendor, correct? You can't really use this experience with a more expensive router that costs $500 and uses a cradlepoint supplied modem. I've used one of the smaller cradlepoints with integrated modem at my job and it is as stable as a rock. It didn't support the latest technology, but we didn't need speed either; just stability.

Regarding Ethernet ports, I would like to think that gigabit is all you can get, but the mofi router is only 100 mbps. This is how the ZBT router was manufactured. The router is AC compatible. You just need to remove the LTE modem and pop in a mini PCI-e wireless AC card. Aliexpress will sell it to you this way, if you want.

I'm happy that the mofi works for you. It sounds like you've gotten it to work for you with xbox support. All I'm saying is that people that are considering this purchase should count the cost before proceeding.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by calimansi808 View Post
    Regarding Ethernet ports, I would like to think that gigabit is all you can get, but the mofi router is only 100 mbps. This is how the ZBT router was manufactured. The router is AC compatible. You just need to remove the LTE modem and pop in a mini PCI-e wireless AC card. Aliexpress will sell it to you this way, if you want.

I'm happy that the mofi works for you. It sounds like you've gotten it to work for you with xbox support. All I'm saying is that people that are considering this purchase should count the cost before proceeding.
    It just completely boggles my mind that any company would put only 100 mbps Ethernet ports into a router in this day and age, when lots of people use their router to share files between devices.

Luckily for me, I have available to me a cheap, easy fix for both problems. Since I've NEVER gotten LTE speeds any higher than 60-65 mbps down on any carrier, I doubt my internet speed will exceed 100 mbps anytime soon. And I got a steal of a deal at Wal*Mart recently: A Belkin AC1750 Dual-Band AC+ Gigabit Ethernet Router that normally goes for about $100, on clearance for only $19! I'm currently using it at work, but I could always put a different router at work (such as that old MBR-95) and use the Belkin router at home. I'd just connect the Belkin router to an Ethernet out port on the MoFi router for the internet source, then do most if not all of my routing through the Belkin to get Gigabit Ethernet and AC WiFi!

The main problems with the Belkin router are the lack of Transmission Power adjustment in its Consumer Grade Admin options, and the lack of external antennas that could be swapped out to boost the signal. But it was only $19, so I can't complain too much!
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    Guys I did not read all the posts in detail and while I don't like how pricey Cradlepoint routers are do you know the newer MC400 lp6 modems support dual sim and CAT6 lte?also has on built support for caps and fall back ..paired with aer165 or aer 2100 or aer3100.wont be cheap but there you go they do have this and from what I heard Cradlepoint is rock solid for enterprises etc mbr95 is ages old even mbr1200b is pretty old.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    AER1600** and MC400 is also Cradlepoint latest superseding MC400 lpe and mc200

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid87 View Post
    AER1600** and MC400 is also Cradlepoint latest superseding MC400 lpe and mc200

Just my opinion. Would you consider using an actual windows computer with a MC7455 attached to it through USB? The MC7455 works with all USA carriers on most important bands. From my research, the only LTE band you don't get is 17, which is AT&T's main (slower?) band.

You could manage everything through windows. Then you don't need to deal with cradlepoint or pepwave. You just need to keep your computer running all the time if you want internet.

Feedback Score
    It just completely boggles my mind that any company would put only 100 mbps Ethernet ports into a router in this day and age, when lots of people use their router to share files between devices.

Luckily for me, I have available to me a cheap, easy fix for both problems. Since I've NEVER gotten LTE speeds any higher than 60-65 mbps down on any carrier, I doubt my internet speed will exceed 100 mbps anytime soon. And I got a steal of a deal at Wal*Mart recently: A Belkin AC1750 Dual-Band AC+ Gigabit Ethernet Router that normally goes for about $100, on clearance for only $19! I'm currently using it at work, but I could always put a different router at work (such as that old MBR-95) and use the Belkin router at home. I'd just connect the Belkin router to an Ethernet out port on the MoFi router for the internet source, then do most if not all of my routing through the Belkin to get Gigabit Ethernet and AC WiFi!

The main problems with the Belkin router are the lack of Transmission Power adjustment in its Consumer Grade Admin options, and the lack of external antennas that could be swapped out to boost the signal. But it was only $19, so I can't complain too much!

Sweet setup.

You're right, 100 mbps is all you'll need if using the mofi as your gateway.

$19?!?! I'm jealous.

Thanks for having a normal conversation about this with me. When I disagree, some people start with the name calling and such and it just kills a good discussion.

Feedback Score
    I am highly curious to hear what any Mofi SIM 4 user's thoughts are regarding the cellular performance.
    I would use DMZ to 3rd party router and would try to disable any routing/wifi features of the Mofi.
    Some of the characteristics I am wondering about:
    Uptime, dropped packets, VoIP test results (jitter), latency, signal fidelity in low signal areas, etc.

In other words, does this unit stay reliably connected to cellular with good signal fidelity?

Also, anybody know the FCC ID of this product in order to check out the FCC docs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFNube View Post
    I am highly curious to hear what any Mofi SIM 4 user's thoughts are regarding the cellular performance.
    I would use DMZ to 3rd party router and would try to disable any routing/wifi features of the Mofi.
    Some of the characteristics I am wondering about:
    Uptime, dropped packets, VoIP test results (jitter), latency, signal fidelity in low signal areas, etc.

In other words, does this unit stay reliably connected to cellular with good signal fidelity?

Also, anybody know the FCC ID of this product in order to check out the FCC docs?
    I ordered one of the SIM4s last week to replace my T1114 for Verizon UDP. Haven't tried with Verizon SIM, yet.

Long story, but I'm trying to use it with AT&T/Cricket at the moment instead of Verizon. So far, not having good luck. Hotspot I used previously would connect to weak LTE, but SIM4 will only connect 4G. Once connected, it will transfer data briefly, but then just stop - modem still shows connected, but internet down. Submitted a support ticket on 9/30, but no response. Just tried emailing via contact form.

If I get a chance to try with Verizon, I'll update.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Okay, a few updates here:

1. I had the MoFi 4500 SIM 4 check for a Firmware Update today, and there IS a new one available, dated October 3rd, 2016. I've now installed it. I'm sure some of you are far better than I am at digging into all of the changes that could have happened with the update. All I can tell you is that it did not add the WiFi AC option (not sure if only a Firmware Update can, as I don't know if the router has the necessary hardware built-in) and it does not seem to have added the option to force Carrier Aggregation on T-Mobile.
    2. Yesterday I stopped in at my local Micro Center store to pick-up 2 14" long, 9 dBi WiFi antennas to boost my WiFi range and signal strength within the house. They seem to have improved signal strength on the ground floor (my router is on the 2nd floor) as planned.
    3. I've ordered 2 of the 9 dBi LTE antennas that are available through Amazon and will report back once I've tried them in regards to what kind of signal gain I was able to get with them, if any. Once I've installed them, I'll be testing my Verizon Wireless SIM in it again. I'd already tested the MoFi with that SIM using the included 5 dBi antennas, and for some reason, it didn't seem to be able to connect to VZW's network. Hopefully the more powerful antennas will fix that.

And.... I'm spent!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If you haven't installed the new firmware yet, I'd hold off on doing so unless you're prepared to reconfigure your DNS Server Settings yourself. The new firmware switched me to a DNS Server that was blocking access to Howard Forums and several other messageboards I go to, at least when using the Firefox browser, anyway. Just FYI.

EDIT: Also, I just tried to play an online game for the first time using the MoFi 4500 SIM 4 and my game isn't able to connect. Have any of you had this problem? And if so, what did you do to fix it?
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 10-05-2016 at 11:56 PM.

Feedback Score
    If you haven't installed the new firmware yet, I'd hold off on doing so unless you're prepared to reconfigure your DNS Server Settings yourself. The new firmware switched me to a DNS Server that was blocking access to Howard Forums and several other messageboards I go to, at least when using the Firefox browser, anyway. Just FYI.

EDIT: Also, I just tried to play an online game for the first time using the MoFi 4500 SIM 4 and my game isn't able to connect. Have any of you had this problem? And if so, what did you do to fix it?
    Can't offer any help on the gaming problem, but just reporting in that the firmware update solved my AT&T/Cricket connection issues. Had trouble getting the update to take (had to do recovery mode a couple times), but now connection seems stable. Glad it's fixed, but still bad that they never responded to either my email or my support ticket (still shows status as "New").

As far as the 4500SIM4 on Verizon - WOW! With the T1114, I usually got around 8Mbps/3Mbps. With the 4500SIM4, I got 50Mbps/10Mbps with it just in the window without even using my external antennas!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brenth77 View Post
    Can't offer any help on the gaming problem, but just reporting in that the firmware update solved my AT&T/Cricket connection issues. Had trouble getting the update to take (had to do recovery mode a couple times), but now connection seems stable. Glad it's fixed, but still bad that they never responded to either my email or my support ticket (still shows status as "New").

As far as the 4500SIM4 on Verizon - WOW! With the T1114, I usually got around 8Mbps/3Mbps. With the 4500SIM4, I got 50Mbps/10Mbps with it just in the window without even using my external antennas!
    Huh. When I tried my Verizon Wireless SIM in it, it couldn't seem to connect at all.

I'm gonna try again when my 9 dBi Signal Boosting Antennas get here.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast