Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Mofi 4500

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Huh. When I tried my Verizon Wireless SIM in it, it couldn't seem to connect at all.

I'm gonna try again when my 9 dBi Signal Boosting Antennas get here.
    Their instructions said to downgrade to the 1.9.8 (or whatever) firmware for Verizon, but I just used the 2.0b and then 2.0.1std.

I did try the 1.9.x version to try to resolve AT&T/Cricket disconnect, but it didn't make any difference. Was actually an issue listed in the 2.0.1 changes.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brenth77 View Post
    Their instructions said to downgrade to the 1.9.8 (or whatever) firmware for Verizon, but I just used the 2.0b and then 2.0.1std.

I did try the 1.9.x version to try to resolve AT&T/Cricket disconnect, but it didn't make any difference. Was actually an issue listed in the 2.0.1 changes.
    Where can I easily find the different versions of the Firmware? And what do you recommend as the best way to switch back and forth between them?
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    Where can I easily find the different versions of the Firmware? And what do you recommend as the best way to switch back and forth between them?
    Here's the download page on Mofi's site for the SIM4...
    http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=21

They've removed the 2.0b now that the 2.0.1std is available.

If you download the firmware files and save them, you can use the Manually Flash Firmware option at the left to upload/switch to the version you want.

If it gets stuck with the power LED blinking, you can use the recovery mode...
    http://mofinetwork.com/firmware/mofi...500_models.pdf

Feedback Score
    So, no disconnects for you guys, right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by calimansi808 View Post
    So, no disconnects for you guys, right?
    Don't think so since update to 2.0.1std - and I've got really crappy ATT/Cricket LTE signal (-115). Get about 8Mbps/1Mbps.

Haven't used it for any amount of time on Verizon, yet. Am leaving my SIM in a smartphone until after 10/31.

Feedback Score
    Quick follow-up about my complaint of no reply to my support ticket. They did respond asking me to try the new firmware to fix my disconnect issues. Not much info and took pretty long to reply, but they did eventually; and they did appear to resolve the problem.

Am trying to now to see about logging into the unit via SSH and lock to band 17 since that's not an option in the GUI. It's locking onto Band 12 by default which doesn't seem to be as reliable in my area as 17, yet.

Feedback Score
    And further update. Apparently my initial support request must have been overlooked or something because they've been very responsive since. Clarified that band 12 and band 17 are the same frequency, so there's no locking onto one versus the other. Locking to band 12 is apparently the same as locking to band 17. I wonder if the same may be true for bands that people have mentioned are missing from the GUI. Since many bands use the same frequency ranges, maybe you just pick the band that matches the frequency of the band you want to lock to... just speculating.

Feedback Score

Mofi 4500

And further update. Apparently my initial support request must have been overlooked or something because they've been very responsive since. Clarified that band 12 and band 17 are the same frequency, so there's no locking onto one versus the other. Locking to band 12 is apparently the same as locking to band 17. I wonder if the same may be true for bands that people have mentioned are missing from the GUI. Since many bands use the same frequency ranges, maybe you just pick the band that matches the frequency of the band you want to lock to... just speculating.
    Band 17 is a subset of band 12 and consists of 700 MHz lower blocks B and c. Band 12 is 700mhz lower blocks a,b, and c.

The reason was because block a had some interference with tv when it first came out but that has mostly settled now. Att broadcasts both band 17 and band 12, even though it has no 700 MHz lower block a.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I cannot get USB tethering (Android phone) to work on the MoFi4500. Any one get this to work on this device? And, if so, what settings do you have for the MoFi configuration menu?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    I cannot get USB tethering (Android phone) to work on the MoFi4500. Any one get this to work on this device? And, if so, what settings do you have for the MoFi configuration menu?
    I've never heard that the MoFi 4500 supports USB tethering with an Android phone. The USB port is there to allow you to use stand-alone USB MODEMS...

Name:  verizon-pantech-uml290-usb-4g-wireless-modem.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  Verizon-Intros-New-UMW190-USB-Wireless-Modem-3.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  144.4 KB

...as the internet source. This is a useful feature due to the Fail-over Mode of the MoFi 4500. You can use the built-in modem and SIM slot for your primary wireless internet, and then plug in a USB modem for a secondary provider. When the primary provider has a service outage, the MoFi 4500 will automatically switch over to the secondary modem so that you can remain connected to the interwebz.

Feedback Score
    I've never heard that the MoFi 4500 supports USB tethering with an Android phone. The USB port is there to allow you to use stand-alone USB MODEMS...

Name:  verizon-pantech-uml290-usb-4g-wireless-modem.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  Verizon-Intros-New-UMW190-USB-Wireless-Modem-3.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  144.4 KB

...as the internet source. This is a useful feature due to the Fail-over Mode of the MoFi 4500. You can use the built-in modem and SIM slot for your primary wireless internet, and then plug in a USB modem for a secondary provider. When the primary provider has a service outage, the MoFi 4500 will automatically switch over to the secondary modem so that you can remain connected to the interwebz.
    Thanks for the response; much appreciated.

I have been exploring this MoFi4500, and I found the following notes on this firmware update page for this device (http://mofinetwork.com/can/index.php...e=page&id=19):

Regarding newest firmware 2.01:
    "Firmware 2.0.1std does not currently support any USB modems or hotspot at this time so if you need this, use firmware 1.9.8.1. This support will be add soon."

So I scrolled down the page to look at what was said about "USB modems or hotspots" in the notes re: firmware 1.9.8.1, where I found:
    "Also, iphone and Android USB tethering as well as repeater mode is included in this firmware"

These notes from the firmware 1.9.8.1 download page are why I am curious to see if we can get Android USB tethering working with this device (the implications to getting this working are pretty cool). I have downgraded my MoFi4500 firmware to 1.9.8.1. But, to get Android USB tethering working, I need a better understanding of the settings I will need to plug into my MoFi4500-SIM4-v2.

Any ideas, anyone?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Here's the download page on Mofi's site for the SIM4...
    http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=21

They've removed the 2.0b now that the 2.0.1std is available.

If you download the firmware files and save them, you can use the Manually Flash Firmware option at the left to upload/switch to the version you want.

If it gets stuck with the power LED blinking, you can use the recovery mode...
    http://mofinetwork.com/firmware/mofi...500_models.pdf
    Well, this sucks. I am, as I'm typing this, connected to the MoFi 4500 SIM4, using my T-Mobile Hotspot Plan delivering speeds of 32-33 mbps down, and that page for the Firmware Downloads is refusing to load.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow at work using our Con˘a$h cable internet connection at the office.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So, any of you that are using the MoFi 4500 SIM4 Version 2 with an Unlimited Data Plan SIM, have you been able to lock it into Carrier Aggregation Mode yet? 'Cuz I'm not seeing that option in the Band Selection Menu.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
    So for those who have the mofi can you really look into a specific lte band? That sounds great because some of the bands offer better speeds but somehow the devices like to get connected to the one with the most signal even if it sacrifices data speed.

Also how does it compare to this https://cradlepoint.com/products/aer-3100#!specs besides the different price points?
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Well that one is $1,650 , has 13 gigabit ports, up to 4 ports poe out, supports 5ghz wifi ac, cloud managed, band 17 support, dual sim slots.
    Took me long enough to reply to these posts, didn't it? ;-)

Anyway... that thing is just excessively expensive! All I would need is the LP6 Dual-SIM All Carriers Modem in a modern router. Give it the ability to do Failover Carrier Switching based on SPEED (i.e. always keeping you connected to the FASTEST option) as well as being able to force it to connect to specific Bands and Carrier Aggregation Mode, and I could see paying a LITTLE more than the $300 price of the MoFi 4500 SIM4 Version 2. I would never go as high as $600 or above, but I might be willing to spend around $500 to have that Dual-SIM capability. ;-)

Feedback Score
    If you're paying for two UDP lines on separate companies i'd look into something that could do load balancing or bonding.

I think the cheapest way to play with something like that would be something like speedify.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast