Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: ZTE Mobley hacking (Mainly trying to get it running outside a car)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

ZTE Mobley hacking (Mainly trying to get it running outside a car)

This is a new dedicated thread for trying to get the Mobley to work outside of a car.

Why do this? The Mobley is an eligible device to use with the new directv unlimited data plans. So it is an officially sanctioned unlimited AT&T hotspot device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Qualcomm iPhone 7:
    AT&T Unlimited Plus

iPad Pro 9.7:
    Verizon Unlimited

Rural Internet:
    Stand-alone AT&T Connected Car Unlimited ($20 a month!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Just power it with 12vdc on the two pins and see what happens.

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    If you don't want to mod it, you can buy odb2 extender, cut the wire and strip it back and access the wires. They make an obd2 breakout box too. Sounds like something I would do. I don't need to since my unlimited ipad sime already works in everything.

On a side note, I did make a portable mifi powered by my Ridgid 18V batteries, I built on a board with the an actual Ridgid connector on the bottom so it slides on like a tool. Come on Ridgid, Dewilt and Milsucky, get with the times and offer jobsite wifi. How about a job site radio with wifi, tethering abilities, can be plugged and used as a second battery charger too.
    Last edited by gedster314; 06-22-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    Just power it with 12vdc on the two pins and see what happens.
    Should read through this thread first, to see what has been tried so far.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...nlimited-Plans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT&T Unlimited Plus with Netgear DC112A
    $20 Mobley stand-alone hotspot for home internet

Unlimited ZTE Mobely Hotspot

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Also the 30 second cycle relay is still working, I have reset and ran many times now without it powering off, there may very well be a better way but this method at least for me seems to be working.

Just to check my device is still working normal I will remove the relay temporarily and verify it is still powering off like normal.

Last edited by mexican-bum; 06-22-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican-bum View Post
    Also the 30 second cycle relay is still working, I have reset and ran many times now without it powering off, there may very well be a better way but this method at least for my seems to be working.

Just to check my device is still working normal I will remove the relay temporarily and verify it is still powering off like normal.

I have very little experience with electronics but I'll give it a shot with the stuff you listed. I think there may be shrink wrap cables and connectors we can use to make it look nice.

I could probably design a housing for the relay to 3D print so it's protected

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican-bum View Post
    Also the 30 second cycle relay is still working, I have reset and ran many times now without it powering off, there may very well be a better way but this method at least for me seems to be working.

Good!! I hope it stays up! Keep us posted!

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2388 View Post
    Good!! I hope it stays up! Keep us posted!

Got my voltage regulator in, wired it in with the 15.5 volt power supply, set the voltage Regulator to 13.0 volts and hooked back up. It lasted all night without shutting off. Going to figure out a permanent mounting solution and should be ready for the lake house.

By the way before I got the voltage regulator in I hooked up just the 12.4 volt power supply to test that my device was still behaving normally, and sure enough after about 45 minutes it powered off. So the power save feature is still working, I then hooked up to just my 15.5 volt power supply which honestly I had not tried before and something interesting happened, while it did power off a few times over the next 8 hours, it would automatically come back on.... not sure what to make of that.

Feedback Score
    Thats strange. My stuff wont be here until tomorrow so i wont get to test mine out before then. How about when no one is connected to the device via wifi? Will it still stay on?

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2388 View Post
    Thats strange. My stuff wont be here until tomorrow so i wont get to test mine out before then. How about when no one is connected to the device via wifi? Will it still stay on?

I actually tried that, and yes it stayed on, or at least it was on when I checked it.

Most of my testing was done with 3 separate laptops that I left on, I connected to the wifi but unchecked "Connect automatically". I tested this and when the wifi would power off, even if I immediately power back on all 3 laptops would be disconnected and I would have to manually click connect again.

When I used the 15.5 volt power supply by itself I would find the wifi up and running just fine but all the computers would be disconnected, so I knew it powered off at one point, I reconnected them came back and again found them disconnected.

With the cycle relay they never lose connection.

Feedback Score
    How about when the power supply switches does the zte power down or is it fast enough that it dont notice. Like if were streaming a directv stream if it switches would it drop out and come back

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    The way I have it wired up it never loses power, also my power supply is 1.5 amps so it handles powering everything easily.

Here is how I got my voltage regulator wired up, will try to take an actual picture once I have it setup without alligator clips

Also not in pic but positive power goes to pin 16, negative or ground goes to pin 4 or 5, doesn't seem to matter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mexican-bum; 06-24-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Feedback Score
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/131215122565?_mwBanner=1

Found this on ebay. A little overbuilt though.

Feedback Score
    My ZTE Mobley only stays on for about 5 minutes when engine is off. Any idea how I can avoid idling the engine to use the hotspot?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Useratt1 View Post
    My ZTE Mobley only stays on for about 5 minutes when engine is off. Any idea how I can avoid idling the engine to use the hotspot?
    Have u tried to go under powersave and turn the timer to 2 hrs? What kinda car?

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast