Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to switch from Micro SIM to Nano SIM

Device(s)
    Moto X 2014
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Best way to switch from Micro SIM to Nano SIM

I just got a new GSM phone and it takes a Nano SIM whereas my old GSM phone has Micro SIM. I have a new Nano SIM ready to install, but how do I get my TracFone phone number transferred over to it? I checked the website, but I don't see a way to do this. I was hoping to avoid going through phone support due to their bad reputation on HoFo. Any other options?
    Last edited by hooked; 06-23-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    You can cut your micro SIM down to nano SIM just Google it. Would probably the easiest. You would have to keep your old phone the SIM is locked to. Wait for better suggestions first. I went from LG3 to LG V10 and had to deal with the nightmare Tech support not fun!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    I just got a new phone and it takes a Nano SIM whereas my old phone has Micro SIM. I have a new Nano SIM ready to install, but how do I get my TracFone phone number transferred over to it?
    Log into your TF online account. Add the nano SIM to your account. Then Activate it with the option to "Transfer my phone number from another Tracfone". Select the Micro SIM as the donor. Everything (phone number, units, days) SHOULD transfer over. If you get an erroneous warning that only the phone number and service days will transfer, abort the transfer and contact TF for help with the transfer.

Feedback Score
    I just got a new phone and it takes a Nano SIM whereas my old phone has Micro SIM. I have a new Nano SIM ready to install, but how do I get my TracFone phone number transferred over to it? I checked the website, but I don't see a way to do this. I was hoping to avoid going through phone support due to their bad reputation on HoFo. Any other options?
    The option I would suggest:
    Register a new CDMA BYOP by changing the last digit of the current IMEI and use the nano-SIM serial #. Transfer service to new SIM. Use TracFone website chat if website issues with transfer. If CSR seems unhelpful, try a different CSR.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2014
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions. By the way, these are GSM phones. That wasn't clear in my first post. I will update it.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2014
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Log into your TF online account. Add the nano SIM to your account. Then Activate it with the option to "Transfer my phone number from another Tracfone". Select the Micro SIM as the donor. Everything (phone number, units, days) SHOULD transfer over. If you get an erroneous warning that only the phone number and service days will transfer, abort the transfer and contact TF for help with the transfer.
    So I used hpham's suggestion to go through the website and it was almost too easy.

Feedback Score
    So I used hpham's suggestion to go through the website and it was almost too easy.
    GSM phones are a piece of cake/walk in the park compared to CDMA phones.

Device(s)
    Help me get my little girl off the phone! She talks too much causing her mommy a lot of money!
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    I just got a new GSM phone and it takes a Nano SIM whereas my old GSM phone has Micro SIM. I have a new Nano SIM ready to install, but how do I get my TracFone phone number transferred over to it? I checked the website, but I don't see a way to do this. I was hoping to avoid going through phone support due to their bad reputation on HoFo. Any other options?
    Buy one of these online, rather go ahead and buy 5 of these kits for extras! At .19, you will pay a $1s worth for 5 and this way you can swap to your delight!

If you buy these kits at home you will pay way more for them and guess what, you are just paying almost a 1000 percent markup!!! American sellers that do these markups are crooks! Worse than loan sharks!!!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    TF, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sounds easy, does this method work regardless if it's CDMA or GSM?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mapson View Post
    Sounds easy, does this method work regardless if it's CDMA or GSM?
    It all works the same except the "add the nano sim to your account" part. With GSM, you activate the sim so it is very easy. With CDMA you need a valid IMEI from a phone that will pass the BYOP compatibility checker. You might be able to get on TF chat and get a CSR to do the swap but have not heard of it being done.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Is this still true 08/15/2017?

I am going to upgrade my LG L33L to a Moto E4 (USA XT1768 from AMZ with Ads) and stay with ATT.

I still have 10 complete FD "deal" packages, and 12 FD opened "deal" packages (just used the 180/180/180 and 90-days). Will the new Moto E4 still be Tripled?

Feedback Score
    Yes, still true and if you use one of the FD SIMs you will get TMFL.

If you have a high balance, add the nano SIM to your account, then do a website chat with TracFone CSR and have them first verify your current balance, then ask them to do the transfer, which should complete immediately. Tell them you want to confirm that the new phone can make a receive a call and check the balance before ending the chat session.

Quote Originally Posted by C8H10N4O2 View Post
    Is this still true 08/15/2017?

I am going to upgrade my LG L33L to a Moto E4 (USA XT1768 from AMZ with Ads) and stay with ATT.

I still have 10 complete FD "deal" packages, and 12 FD opened "deal" packages (just used the 180/180/180 and 90-days). Will the new Moto E4 still be Tripled?

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I would assume, 4566 minutes, 3651 messages, 746 MB is not high... not much talking, some txting, and data is mostly GasBuddy.

I can use any of the nano SIMs, no need to trim the micro SIM... right?

IF I did trim the micro SIM, TF would think I still am using the L33???

Feedback Score
    I would consider that a high balance and use chat to do the transfer unless you feel lucky.

If it needs a nano SIM, I would not trim because nano SIMs are thinner than the other SIMs and you risk damaging the phone with a trimmed fatter SIM .

Quote Originally Posted by C8H10N4O2 View Post
    I would assume, 4566 minutes, 3651 messages, 746 MB is not high... not much talking, some txting, and data is mostly GasBuddy.

I can use any of the nano SIMs, no need to trim the micro SIM... right?

IF I did trim the micro SIM, TF would think I still am using the L33???

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    OK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast