Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amazon's BLU R1 HD - 16 GB - Black - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads

Feedback Score

Amazon's BLU R1 HD - 16 GB - Black - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads

Good day.

Amazon has the BLU R1 HD - 16 GB - Black - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads on sale for $59.99 for Amazon Prime subscribers:

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-R1-HD-Exc...2&keywords=blu

From the description on Amazon's web page, it seems to be a decent inexpensive unlocked phone.

Any opinions?

Does it have two SIM Card slots and a microSD slot, or just one SIM Card slot and a SIM Card/microSD slot?

Is there a(ny) way to stop the ads (other than by striking the screen with a hammer)?

Thank you.
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    We were actually thinking of grabbing a couple of these, but saw others saying that Blu doesn't like to actually roll out the updates they say they will. We want band 12 and it won't be active right off the bat, it comes via Ota. Aside from that, the rest of the specs don't really bother us, and the ads, we are so so about them, for the price, couldn't care less about the ads.
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Feedback Score
    Hello NHCharmedOne and happy Fourth.

The "Lockscreen Offers & Ads" would really disturb me, not to mention that they would probably be a drain on the battery.

The $49.00 price is really attractive, but, as the all saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Having said that, I may just order one and, if I can't figure out a way to disable the offers and ads, return it.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Happy 4th to you as well!!

I never gave a thought to what it might do battery wise, that could end up sucking up tons of power and data. I was reading that people who bought the fire phone were able to download some screen lock apps that seemed to block the ads. So that may work, if not I know you could root it, but I usually try to avoid that lol

I think we may still grab 2 and if it's too much of a pain, we'll just send back too.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, NHCharmedOne.

Just did a quick "DuckDuckGoing" (don't use Google Search for privacy reasons) and the ads on the Amazon Fire phones could be turned-off by asking Amazon C.S. nicely to turn them off, or by a couple of simple non-root adb commands, or by "freezing" (disabling) the ad app with the "Pro" version of Titanium Back Up. More than likely, one of these three methods would also work on Amazon's BLU R1 HD phone.

All versions of Titanium will only install on a rooted phone. I have rooted all the Android phones I have owned to date (from Gingerbread to Lollipop), but haven't yet bought a Marshmallow phone to play with.

It would appear that Amazon's BLU R1 HD would be a relatively inexpensive phone to learn Marshmallow's intricacies, hopefully, ending up with a rooted phone.

We'll see.

Device(s)
    Motorola G 4G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    Good day.

Amazon has the BLU R1 HD - 16 GB - Black - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads on sale for $59.99 for Amazon Prime subscribers:

https://www.amazon.com/BLU-R1-HD-Exc...2&keywords=blu

From the description on Amazon's web page, it seems to be a decent inexpensive unlocked phone.

Any opinions?

Does it have two SIM Card slots and a microSD slot, or just one SIM Card slot and a SIM Card/microSD slot?

Is there a(ny) way to stop the ads (other than by striking the screen with a hammer)?

Thank you.
    I've got a Blu R1 HD 16GB. It has two microSIM slots and a microSD slot.

I just got an update today, but I don't know what it covers. The ads aren't obtrusive. If you've got a Fire tablet, it's very similar. They show up on the lock screen, but not in the notification tray or when using the phone.

Spend the extra $10 and get the 16GB/2GB version.
    Cricket unlimited talk/text + 2.5 GB data for $35

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman81 View Post
    I've got a Blu R1 HD 16GB. It has two microSIM slots and a microSD slot.

I just got an update today, but I don't know what it covers. The ads aren't obtrusive. If you've got a Fire tablet, it's very similar. They show up on the lock screen, but not in the notification tray or when using the phone.

Spend the extra $10 and get the 16GB/2GB version.
    I think the OTA update is supposed to activate LTE Band 12.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Amazon's BLU R1 HD - 16 GB - Black - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads

It looks like the OTA update that was released in July was unrelated to enabling band 12. Does anyone have any news as to when Blu will release the update for band 12? The Blu website still shows "4G LTE band 12(700 MHz) will be available via OTA (Over-the-air) update shortly after launch."

I find it funny that they still list band 17 on the product page as 2100mhz.

Also, just a heads up. You can use "Engineer Mode MTK" to enable Band 12 right now (under BandMode). The downside is there is no VoLTE so you can't make calls over Band 12, but the data works great.
    Last edited by manhole; 08-13-2016 at 05:20 PM.
    $25 Cricket Wireless Signup Bonus

Cricket offers a $25 referral credit for new subscribers who are referred by another user. Simply use the link above to claim your bonus.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manhole View Post

Also, just a heads up. You can use "Engineer Mode MTK" to enable Band 12 right now (under BandMode). The downside is there is no VoLTE so you can't make calls over Band 12, but the data works great.
    No need to wait for the update then. I don't think BLU will enable VoLTE (if possible) on this device anyhow.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    No need to wait for the update then. I don't think BLU will enable VoLTE (if possible) on this device anyhow.
    Actually T-Mobile requires VoLTE be activated with band 12. I'm going to speculate that maybe Blu is waiting for T-Mobile to certify their VoLTE implementation before pushing out the update to flip on band 12 and VoLTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manhole View Post
    Actually T-Mobile requires VoLTE be activated with band 12. I'm going to speculate that maybe Blu is waiting for T-Mobile to certify their VoLTE implementation before pushing out the update to flip on band 12 and VoLTE.
    It will be interesting to see if BLU indeed gets t-mobile VoLTE certification. I would not hold my breath. My Life One X and the Vivo XL both have band 12 for data but do not support VoLTE. Not sure if activating VoLTE is a simple software update or requires hardware.
    Last edited by bmwfreak; 08-19-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Feedback Score
    Dumb question: I bought this phone, and I can't figure out how to set up Speed Dial numbers. Is this no longer a thing in Android 6, or is it just this phone?

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Had this phone for a week, 2GB/16GB. Very nice for the money. Apps open fast, never lags, all radios work well. Speaker isn't that bad. Fine for listening to talk radio and for turn-by-turn. Here WeGo maps work great. Speakerphone is only usable in a quiet room tho. Only thing is, the screen is polarized the wrong way. Can't use polarized sunglasses. Camera is fine for most uses. Got this case for $7.59 from Amazon. Really nice except Panasonic's $7 earbuds won't fit. Gonna have to enlarge the hole.

Name:  pQ7nOqx.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  47.6 KB

Called Airvoice to update to LTE ($10 plan), tethering works. I never see my lockscreen so ads are very unobtrusive. I wouldn't mind them if they were at all targeted. Maybe eventually. Blu says it is getting Nougat.

One odd thing. The phone disappeared from Amazon for a few days. Then came back as out-of-stock. They probably want to make sure they are all running v6.6, which can't be hacked to get rid of ads.

Slightly edited:

Last edited by raderator; 10-19-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Q (PP w QNC)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Seems it's being replaced by the Blu R1 Plus. Slightly faster processor, much bigger battery, rounded back gets rid of camera bump.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raderator View Post
    Seems it's being replaced by the Blu R1 Plus. Slightly faster processor, much bigger battery, rounded back gets rid of camera bump.
    I just heard about this a couple of days ago. I was bummed because I'm in the market for a phone replacement right now, and they are not selling any more HDs. Blu wouldn't comment as to why... in fact, I reached out to them and they replied that they are working with Amazon to resolve the issue, but they "can't comment any further at this time", which implies there is something they know that they can't tell me (which isn't even what I asked! I just wanted to know why the R1 HD wasn't available).

Sure enough, I look around the internet and find reference to an FCC filing on a device called the R1 Plus, which appears to have Amazon branding.

So I have two questions then:
    1) Will the "plus" be a 2nd generation R1 HD that replaces it, or a newer beefier option to offer alongside it for more money, hence the stronger CPU and battery?
    The original R1 HD still has very relevant specs for a mid-level phone, it doesn't make sense to retire it. Yet, the "plus" appears to still have a 720p 5" display and feature set, which means they are competing for the same tier of handset model. Also, the fact that the R1 HD product page has mysteriously disappeared from Amazon, only to come back and say indefinitely sold out, implies that the original R1 HD has been retired and is about to be replaced with a new handset. I do hope this means it will be sold for the same amount and therefore was worth the wait to purchase.
    2) WHEN THE HECK WILL IT BE AVAILABLE. The phone I was using previously kicked the bucket, I'm currently on a junk backup phone that I hate, and would really like to purchase something ASAP. The original Blu R1 HD was a no brainer, but if the replacement isn't coming out for a while, I should spend a little more and get something like the G4 Play. I would think a launch is imminent though, they'd be crazy to miss the holiday season. I hope we'll see something before Black Friday!
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast