Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Feedback Score

What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Would you recommend Project Fi? What has your experience been like? What are the good and bad things?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    Would you recommend Project Fi? What has your experience been like? What are the good and bad things?
    I would only recommend Fi to someone who:
    * doesn't use much cellular data. $10/GB quickly becomes more expensive than other options.
    * has good coverage and service quality most of the time with at least one of the three Fi carriers.
    * is comfortable enough with technology to not need in-store help and generally make use of Android.

Bonus points for people who are already embedded in the Google ecosystem and people who travel internationally.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    We've had a phone on Project Fi for about 6 months. So far this account has cost us between $27 and $35 per month. This is about half what we were previously paying for this line. The phone generally defaults to T-Mobile and only occasionally falls back to Sprint and rarely to a roaming partner, like AT&T. There have been spots out in the backwoods where we have had no service. The biggest concern is knowing that data is a la carte and waiting until you have WiFi to do things. We tried unsuccessfully to switch to Sprint, just to see if their as bad as some people say and have considered porting the line to a family member's Cricket account. But we have hung in there with Fi and are not unhappy.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I'm debating between staying with Boost Mobile or going to Google Fi. It would be nice being able to get Android updates, however 5 GB for $30 is a good value. The only downside I have had with Boost is sometimes I get 3G instead of LTE.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Considering switching to Google FI. My daughter and son-in-law both switched and are saving a lot of money due to unused data credits and wifi calling compared to their previous provider. The limited phone selection is a factor but the compatible Nexus phones themselves are generally rated high by users. The addition of US Cellular as a partner will help in many rural areas not serviced by TMobile or Sprint.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I switched from Boost Mobile to Fi to get the Nexus 5X on sale. The Sprint coverage area is the same for Boost and Fi, with T-Mobile and US Cellular being an extra bonus for road trips. The downsides to Fi are you can only use Nexus phones and the data is way overpriced. But with multiple networks to get a signal from so you won't be as affected by a network outage, you'll get the latest security fixes for Android before anyone else, and the fact that you don't have to replace the sim card when traveling abroad are big pluses. Google will have to work out how upgrades will work, and the experience may be different if you live in an area with Google Fiber to connect to WiFi in more places

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    I switched from Boost Mobile to Fi to get the Nexus 5X on sale. The Sprint coverage area is the same for Boost and Fi, with T-Mobile and US Cellular being an extra bonus for road trips. The downsides to Fi are you can only use Nexus phones and the data is way overpriced. But with multiple networks to get a signal from so you won't be as affected by a network outage, you'll get the latest security fixes for Android before anyone else, and the fact that you don't have to replace the sim card when traveling abroad are big pluses. Google will have to work out how upgrades will work, and the experience may be different if you live in an area with Google Fiber to connect to WiFi in more places
    Just to note that getting the latest security fixes is because of owning a nexus. Not because of being on Fi.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Data is not overly expensive. I think being able to get a credit for data unused more than offsets the price. Also, you're not throttled or penalized or shut off if you go over your data amount, only charged for the extra data you used on a pro-rated basis and no reduction in speed. Sounds like a good concept and hopefully other cell phone companies.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    I had Fi previously, stopped it and just recently started again. We are moving soon, but currently still rural. The addition of US Cellular is nice, the data seems to be mostly 3G, but I can make a non-WiFi voice call and it stays connected very well. Our wifi is very poor, so using it for VOIP is not very good. Sprint and Tmob are both weak here at the house. In town I know Tmobile is pretty good, but the phone seems to like to connect on Sprint mostly, I've noticed.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Data is not overly expensive. I think being able to get a credit for data unused more than offsets the price...
    If you are a heavy data user (10GB+/mo) there are much cheaper alternatives. Sprint, T-Mobile, cricket have unlimited data plans.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    If you are a heavy data user (10GB+/mo) there are much cheaper alternatives. Sprint, T-Mobile, cricket have unlimited data plans.
    That's true, but I was thinking about a normal or typical user. Having said that, I have had months where I went beyond the 2-3 GB I normally use, this month being one of those.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    That's true, but I was thinking about a normal or typical user. Having said that, I have had months where I went beyond the 2-3 GB I normally use, this month being one of those.
    Even at low usage, e.g. Cricket gives 2.5GB/mo for $35 with autopay (all taxes included). 2GB on Fi is $40 + taxes.

Fi does have its advantages over Cricket though and vice versa.
    Last edited by mch; 07-08-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Even at low usage, e.g. Cricket gives 2.5GB/mo for $35 with autopay (all taxes included). 2GB on Fi is $40 + taxes.

Fi does have its advantages over Cricket though and vice versa.
    What advantages does Fi have over Cricket?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    What advantages does Fi have over Cricket?
    International roaming is first. You can also get a free data SIM that is charged only for the data you use. I don't think Cricket has WiFi calling; Fi does.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There are a lot of happy customers at Project Fi, but like all the other carriers they are not perfect.

I've tried them twice. I got the invite last December, ported my number from Cricket, and overall I was happy for a while. But something happened where I could not get calls when on certain bands on the Sprint network. After a month of back and forth between me and the Project Fi engineers, I told them that I had to port out. I went back to Cricket.

After a few weeks, another friend of mine on PFi told me that they got word that they fixed many issues, including some of the same issues I had with Sprint. So, I ported over again, but immediately had the same problem. Three more weeks of emails and calls to the engineers didn't resolve anything. I had no choice but to move back to Cricket.

I let them know that I don't blame them. Chances are the issue was with Sprint because there were people on Sprint's forum complaining about the exact same thing. On the other hand, Project Fi has to be able to work with Sprint, and in my case either couldn't or wouldn't.

The first tier customer support at Project Fi is very good. However, if you have an issue that requires help beyond that, it gets very iffy. In my opinion, they only have so many higher tier engineers and technicians, and too many cases to go through. If you don't have them on the phone, they have to move on to the next thing and you don't know when they are going to come back to you.

If you know you'll use less than 2 GB per month, and could really use a phone internationally, Project Fi should be an option. However, $10 per Gig can get pricey if you use more than 2 GB per month because there are just too many other options to choose from. Remember, much of the international roaming comes from their agreement with T-Mobile, and T-Mobile has plans that include international data roaming as well.

I'm back on Cricket, and that's where I'll probably stay unless I move to an area that AT&T doesn't have coverage.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast