Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Feedback Score
    I'm on the fence between sticking with Boost or going to Metro (I don't really want to spend more than $30 a month). I don't want an iffy connection, so Fi probably won't be good for me. I rarely travel as well. I have a Nokia Lumia 635 which I definitely want to get rid of. Maybe if I get a newer phone, it'll be easier for me to connect to LTE?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If you're in a Verizon area, Puppy Wireless has a $30 plan that's 700/700/1.5GB.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that Fi only works with certain Nexus phones.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Isn't Verizon in all the same areas as the other US carriers?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    Isn't Verizon in all the same areas as the other US carriers?
    Never say either "never" or "always". While Verizon generally has the best overall coverage, there are places where Verizon does not have good service.

Feedback Score
    I just joined and haven't even gotten the phone yet, so don't know what my experience will be. But the reason I got it is because I have a U.S. Cellular tower less than two miles away and no one else closer than 9 miles away. If as expected I use little data many months of the year Project Fi will be cheaper than U.S. Cellular plans.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Fi has been great for me. Fi should be better than Boost, since you are still getting the Sprint Network, but can also connect to T-Mobile or US Cellular if they are better. It would require you to switch to a Nexus phone, though the Nexus 5X is only $199 if you buy it through Project Fi.

Project Fi has worked great for me, though to be a good deal you need to not use much data or be able to use WiFi.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Just saw my area now as US Cellular 4G LTE service, finally, according to the maps. Think I'll sign up for FI next month.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Just saw my area now as US Cellular 4G LTE service, finally, according to the maps. Think I'll sign up for FI next month.
    Unfortunately I haven't had the new SIM update pushed to my 5X. I can force US Cellular 3G, and I see LTE for a split second before it goes to 3G. Can't wait until I have US Cellular LTE here in NH.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Cancelling Project Fi, for the 2nd time. I really like that they added a new carrier, cell service is great (or at least improving), customer service is excellent, very accessible. I just really like Google Voice, and miss some of the GV features that are missing with Fi. If they could offer Fi as a provider only, and still have GV integration, I think that would be perfect.

I think originally they offered something like that if Sprint was your carrier, you could integrate GV into your phone (like Fi) or leave it separated.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgie View Post
    Cancelling Project Fi, for the 2nd time. I really like that they added a new carrier, cell service is great (or at least improving), customer service is excellent, very accessible. I just really like Google Voice, and miss some of the GV features that are missing with Fi. If they could offer Fi as a provider only, and still have GV integration, I think that would be perfect.

I think originally they offered something like that if Sprint was your carrier, you could integrate GV into your phone (like Fi) or leave it separated.
    I agree, I miss being able to use my GV number on multiple phones using voice instead of having to rely on Hangouts Dialer and VoIP like I do with having Fi active.

I haven't been super impressed with how Fi switches networks either, lots of times it will hang out to either a T-Mobile EDGE signal or Sprint 1x/3G even if another carrier has strong LTE in the area.

Device(s)
    Motorola W315
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel U
    Feedback Score
    I signed up for Project Fi just to get the 5X on sale. I used the Fi service for a month and then cancelled it. I get better value from Cricket because I can get a strong signal at my house and office on Cricket, but almost none on Fi. Plus, I get 5 Cricket line with 2.5 GB data for a total of $100/month. If I could get a better Fi signal at my house and office, I might reconsider Fi.
    WAR EAGLE!!!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6, Project Fi + iPad Mini, TMo
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Project Fi isn't for everyone.

For me, most of my data use is on my iPad mini. That's where I check my email, watch videos and listen to music. And for that device, a TMobile data plan with Binge On is perfect. However, TMobile works great at my home (thanks to good WiFi), and good at work. But not that great in between. Again, not an issue since I'm not checking mail or streaming video while driving. But I do need to talk while driving.

Basically, TMobile coverage in Upstate New York is spotty.

Now Sprint coverage, in my area anyway, is pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. So for me, Fi gives me integrated SMS / Phone via hangouts, good voice coverage (when you look at the combination of all three Project Fi carriers) and I spend less than $30 / month. I also travel quite frequently to both South America, Europe and Canada. Which makes it even better.

In my case, having two devices with specific purposes makes Fi a great choice for my phone.
    Nexus 6 - ProjectFi
    iPad Mini 2 - TMobile 6GB w/ Binge On
    iPhone 6 - AT&T (work issued)
    ---
    Past Carriers: AT&T (10 years), Nextel (4 years)
    Past Phones: iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, BB Bold, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Moto SLVR, Moto v180...

Feedback Score
    I had Project Fi twice and cancelled, I never could figure out a good way to get my iPhone to be very good with just the data sim, and I like my iPhone and Apple a lot.

Finally futzed around and figured out that the iPhone and Project Fi are not good bed partners, and decided to get a 2nd service for it and not worry about it. So now the iPhone is on a free RingPlus account and my Nexus 5x and Nexus 9 tablet will be on Project Fi. That gives me good call/text service on both phones at home, good enough cell data service on all but the iPhone at home. And since when I'm in the home area I'm almost always on wifi that is more than good enough.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Roaming isn't fantastic; phone frequently hangs onto a garbage 1x/EVDO connection in areas with strong T-mobile LTE coverage. That should improve as Sprint retires their 2G bands. Public WiFi usage is clunky as well.

Data only SIM works great in my Thinkpad T460.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast