Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydp211 View Post
    I had Project Fi twice and cancelled, I never could figure out a good way to get my iPhone to be very good with just the data sim, and I like my iPhone and Apple a lot.

Finally futzed around and figured out that the iPhone and Project Fi are not good bed partners, and decided to get a 2nd service for it and not worry about it. So now the iPhone is on a free RingPlus account and my Nexus 5x and Nexus 9 tablet will be on Project Fi. That gives me good call/text service on both phones at home, good enough cell data service on all but the iPhone at home. And since when I'm in the home area I'm almost always on wifi that is more than good enough.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk
    The data only SIM is fine. Just be aware that the data only SIM is T-Mobile only, it does not switch between Sprint and US Cellular.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    Would you recommend Project Fi? What has your experience been like? What are the good and bad things?
    My daughter and her husband both switched from individual Verizon plans to Google FI with 1GB. Their bills dropped from around $70 per month to $22 due to wifi and credits for unused data each month. Today, we took a ride into Canada and my daughter got a message from Google FI saying welcome to Canada and then listed the international plan her phone switched to and cost per minute for calls made and data costs if used. It was all seamless. I ordered Google FI today and hope to be on it next week.
    Last edited by Peterfield; 08-05-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Device(s)
    Pixel2, s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, Red Pocket/vzw, Tello, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    We were on the St. Lawrence a few days ago and Bell was the strongest signal with -80dBm. No T-Mobile. No Sprint. I was getting 40mbps down so Canada throttling has been lifted completely! That beat AT&T throttled HSPA roaming at 128kbps for sure!

Correction: Bell was 9.21 mbps, Telus was 11.14mbps and Rogers was 40mbps. All LTE.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score

so so

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    We were on the St. Lawrence a few days ago and Bell was the strongest signal with -80dBm. No T-Mobile. No Sprint. I was getting 40mbps down so Canada throttling has been lifted completely! That beat AT&T throttled HSPA roaming at 128kbps for sure!

Correction: Bell was 9.21 mbps, Telus was 11.14mbps and Rogers was 40mbps. All LTE.
    Had to give it up here in SC, T-mobile and Sprint in the Rural areas just does not cut it as of yet. T is getting their 700mhz service ready here, should make a big difference.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by troy201 View Post
    Had to give it up here in SC, T-mobile and Sprint in the Rural areas just does not cut it as of yet. T is getting their 700mhz service ready here, should make a big difference.
    I know US Cellular is in parts of SC and from what I'm told, you can manually select USCC and if not in their area it will roam on whatever network the have a roaming agreement with, which could be Verizon down there.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    I know US Cellular is in parts of SC and from what I'm told, you can manually select USCC and if not in their area it will roam on whatever network the have a roaming agreement with, which could be Verizon down there.
    Let me see if I understand. On a Fi phone, you select USCC and if their signal is not available, you'll roam Verizon? I'm not from Missouri but you'll have to show me that happening.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Let me see if I understand. On a Fi phone, you select USCC and if their signal is not available, you'll roam Verizon? I'm not from Missouri but you'll have to show me that happening.
    Read it on a post here somewhere and if I can find it again, I'll post it here. So far, my experience has been great. Next time I'm in MA, a non- US Cellular area, I'll force the phone to the US Cellular network and see what happens and post that here, also.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile and sprint also have decent signal at least in eastern ma.

Device(s)
    Pixel2, s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, Red Pocket/vzw, Tello, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Let me see if I understand. On a Fi phone, you select USCC and if their signal is not available, you'll roam Verizon?
    That is correct. In northern NY (no USCC, Sprint or T-Mobile signal):

On the USCC profile, I got Verizon EV/DO and got about 2mbps down (great signal, I can see the tower from where I was).

On the Sprint profile I got Verizon 1x (100 kbps).

On the T-Mobile profile I got AT&T HSPA roaming throttled to 128kbps.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Above was the post I was referring to.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    That is correct. In northern NY (no USCC, Sprint or T-Mobile signal):....
    Hmmm. I'l have to try that next time I take a shortcut through the boonies.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    From my experience, it is hit and miss. I believe Project Fi is able to control which roaming towers to use.

My mother's house has okay Sprint coverage and no T-Mobile coverage. However, there is an AT&T tower less than a mile away that T-Mobile would normally roam to. If I try to manually switch to T-Mobile it will time out on me, then 30 seconds later switch back to Sprint.

If I were to guess, I would say that Project Fi is able to restrict roaming towers if one of the other carriers already has native coverage in that area. YMMV

Feedback Score
    Cricket data is slow. They have abysmal customer support that doesn't speak English very well. Their porting department sucks. Their port process often does, too. Project Fi: excellent customer support 24/7 from phone app. Totally transparent pricing. Excellent technical support.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    Cricket data is slow. They have abysmal customer support that doesn't speak English very well. Their porting department sucks. Their port process often does, too. Project Fi: excellent customer support 24/7 from phone app. Totally transparent pricing. Excellent technical support.
    8 megabit is slow for a phone?

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    8 megabit is slow for a phone?
    8 Mbit is the maximum theoretical speed. Non-perfect signal and lower priority data during network congestion means your speeds will be well below that most of the time.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast