Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    8 Mbit is the maximum theoretical speed. Non-perfect signal and lower priority data during network congestion means your speeds will be well below that most of the time.
    I disagree with most of that. I've had Cricket over the last year, and my wife and daughter are still on it. 99% of the time we have/had 8 Mb/s download speeds, including through downtown Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans. Call quality was also very good.

Yes, the data pings are higher, and I would suspect that in a truly congested tower those on Cricket would get a lower priority. However, I don't agree with the "most of the time" part of your post. Of course, YMMV.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    I disagree with most of that. I've had Cricket over the last year, and my wife and daughter are still on it. 99% of the time we have/had 8 Mb/s download speeds, including through downtown Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans. Call quality was also very good.

Yes, the data pings are higher, and I would suspect that in a truly congested tower those on Cricket would get a lower priority. However, I don't agree with the "most of the time" part of your post. Of course, YMMV.
    It all comes down to where you are. For example, I have horrible coverage in my home, only one bar, and because of that get horrible speeds from Cricket. The "strength" of any carrier ultimately comes down to how strong there coverage is where you need to use your phone.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post

I've spent enough time on ATT MVNOs (Straight Talk and GoPhone) to know that speeds go to pot when the network is under heavy load. College campuses are a good test. When school is in session, speeds are terrible. When school is closed for a holiday, speeds are back to normal.
    Nexus 5X on Google Fi

Feedback Score
    Very good experience for the most part. Took a road trip this past weekend from Idaho to rural Washington. I kept service almost the whole drive (note: this was not true in the past, before adding US Cellular and fixing the Nexus 5X roaming bug). As a whole, I had better service than my wife did, and she has postpaid Verizon. The place we stayed, the only carriers with native service there are AT&T (they have strong HSPA) and US Cellular (LTE, but signal strength is a bit weaker so you'll drop to 3G inside most buildings). Even on 3G, I could browse the web fine, even watch Youtube. My wife, meanwhile, was 1X the whole time we were there, roaming. Occasionally you'll need to kick your phone in the pants to get it to switch to the right network, but usually it's good about switching, and it tends to learn quickly what works well.

Now, for in the city, it's even better! I used to have Cricket. My phone wouldn't work in my last apartment. It wouldn't work in the computer lab at school (all phones have trouble there, but the lack of Wifi calling made it an issue). It would struggle anywhere near the shopping mall due to congestion (I could have full LTE signal and get no data at times). It had trouble in Costco and many other large stores. And even with good service, MMS messages would fail at least half the time, and sometimes normal SMS would be slow to send too.

With Fi, my phone was now usable in my last apartment (that apartment, only T-Mobile and Verizon got usable signals), and the backup of Wifi Calling was nice. Wifi calling saved me in the computer lab (where I worked part time). The 2 Costcos around here both have usable service (though nothing amazing). I can always get decent speeds near the mall. I moved apartments, and I'm now less than a mile from a T-Mobile tower, so I have amazing signal. Wife on Verizon has okay signal (~2 bars). And the Fred Meyer near my new apartment, I get 2-3 bars LTE inside, wife drops to no service at all! Also, no issues with SMS or MMS, either on cellular or Wifi.

....Just, don't go to Montana, Fi sucks there (at least if you want data, you'll get voice and SMS fine).

But overall, I've been very happy with Fi. I've had a much better experience than I did with Cricket, and often times my phone works better than Verizon phones do, in the places I frequent.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Was getting frustrated with my 5X so I blew it out and flashed to Nougat. Reconnected Fi and everything is working well. Phone is MUCH smoother and more responsive.

Feedback Score
    I cancelled Fi. Here in Phoenix, Sprint is lacking band 26 and T-Mobile is lacking band 12, so there is no low frequency LTE to be found on either carrier, which means coverage isn't all that great, especially inside buildings. I also use more data than 1G, and find that Cricket just provides a better value because you can join a group and have 2.5G of data on AT&T for $20.

Device(s)
    WECO 2565
    Carrier(s)
    GoogleVoice
    Feedback Score
    I was attracted by the promised "VPN over WiFi" only to find out it is far from universal.
    In fact, I've never seen it work to date. That's only significant my thumbs down...

I am happy with the support; most of my issues are due to my Android ignorance...

Feedback Score
    And now they have that feature on any Nexus phone with the latest update even without Fi

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by syme View Post
    I was attracted by the promised "VPN over WiFi" only to find out it is far from universal.
    In fact, I've never seen it work to date. That's only significant my thumbs down...
    That feature is only for completely open WiFi connections. No passphrases or sign-in requirements.

Truly open WiFi also usually means un-encrypted, so Google creates a VPN tunnel between the phone and its servers. WiFi routers that use sign-ins and passphrases usually includes encryption between the device and the router, removing the ability for others to see what you are doing.

I've gotten "the key" a few times during my travels, but there are less and less open WiFi hotspots around nowadays. More and more are moving to where they ask people to sign into Facebook for access, or have either a passphrase or website sign-on page.

Google even has a link, using Google Maps, where people have entered where they've gotten "the key":
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...vRIU3wLKJqIVg0

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by syme View Post

I am happy with the support; most of my issues are due to my Android ignorance...
    I hate the way WiFi Assistant works. Zero control over what the phone is doing. Either it tries to hang on to a very weak WiFi connection or it completely ignores known open WiFi. No Google VPN if you manually connect to an open AP, which is stupid.

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    I hate the way WiFi Assistant works. Zero control over what the phone is doing. Either it tries to hang on to a very weak WiFi connection or it completely ignores known open WiFi. No Google VPN if you manually connect to an open AP, which is stupid.
    Can settings for that be altered?

Sunniest regards, -W

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Today when T-Mobile shut down, Fi switched to Sprint.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    One frustrating thing that sometimes happens is that our Fi Nexus 5x will get stuck on an unusable (zero bars) Sprint 3G signal while my T-Mobile phone is showing 3 bars of LTE. I've tried rebooting the phone and it comes right back to Sprint. Whenever this happens I can't recall the codes to lock it in one carrier or another.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I use FI Switch app to change providers when that happens, which isn't often but it does occur.
    Nexus 5X & 6P on Google Fi
    iPhone 5S on Boom

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Feedback Score
    From reports I've seen, it seems like the 5X has a lot more issues, in regards to locking onto a carrier and similar issues, than the 6P. Not really sure why, just that I see many more complaints from 5X users. It will be interesting to see how PFi works with the new Pixel phones, assuming they will be supported.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast