Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    From reports I've seen, it seems like the 5X has a lot more issues, in regards to locking onto a carrier and similar issues, than the 6P. Not really sure why, just that I see many more complaints from 5X users. It will be interesting to see how PFi works with the new Pixel phones, assuming they will be supported.
    Those issues are supposedly fixed in the Nougat update from what I've read

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    One frustrating thing that sometimes happens is that our Fi Nexus 5x will get stuck on an unusable (zero bars) Sprint 3G signal while my T-Mobile phone is showing 3 bars of LTE. I've tried rebooting the phone and it comes right back to Sprint. Whenever this happens I can't recall the codes to lock it in one carrier or another.
    That does happen. I'm with Peterfield.... I use the FiSwitch app to manually switch when Project Fi doesn't work right. The automated process isn't perfect, but over time it adjusts.

If you prefer not to use an app, the codes are on Project Fi's FAQ page: https://productforums.google.com/for...fi/IkOy8ZGNyPk

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Just today when traveling in southern NH, my 5x used a good Sprint signal most of the time. It switched to T-Mobile at one point but later went back to Sprint. Each day the 5x seems to be better at finding the best signal.
    Nexus 5X & 6P on Google Fi
    iPhone 5S on Boom

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Just today when traveling in southern NH, my 5x used a good Sprint signal most of the time. It switched to T-Mobile at one point but later went back to Sprint. Each day the 5x seems to be better at finding the best signal.
    At first the 5X dropped a lot of calls. Figured I would hang in there and didn't want the PITA of porting again. It improved over the next several weeks meaning not many dropped calls. During the past week several more calls dropped and a number of people thought they lost me.

Yesterday I switched to ATT Go Phone. I placed a call last night worried it would drop. Then I realized I'm not on Fi anymore and relaxed.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6 64GB, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrazek007 View Post
    At first the 5X dropped a lot of calls. Figured I would hang in there and didn't want the PITA of porting again. It improved over the next several weeks meaning not many dropped calls. During the past week several more calls dropped and a number of people thought they lost me.

Yesterday I switched to ATT Go Phone. I placed a call last night worried it would drop. Then I realized I'm not on Fi anymore and relaxed.
    When I had Gophone I would drop calls all the time. I then ported to TMO and it was very good but expensive. I finally switched back to Fi last month and I must say versus 6 months ago the signal switching has improved dramatically and when I am home in the basement and like it seamlessly switches over to TMO wifi calling. I will say that I believe the improvement is mostly due to TMO bolstering their signal, but I also have ringplus (Sprint direct) and the LTE signal has gotten much also. 6 months ago it would jump down to Sprint Evdo or less and it was pretty much unusable.

So I will say Fi itself hasn't really gotten that much better, but TMO and Sprint have continued getting better where I travel (which is all over the world). Outside the US connectivity (thx TMO) is just stellar.

Also I have Nexus 5x but I use Pure Nexus and have not undated to N. M is running quite smooth now, so I'm not becoming a Google beta tester anymore.

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Two weeks' new user Nexus 6p reliably connects to USC LTE west of Yakima WA. Travelling to Everwett over SnoPass, it drops to 3g around Cle Elum I think, picks up Tmo near the summit and stays on Tmo in Everwett, including in an building notorious for poor reception for all except ATT and Verizon.

FiSwitch says today less than a minute unconnected last 24 hours, yesterday was about 12 minutes.

I have not tried checking over Chinook or White Pass yet. It would be fabulous if same or similar coverage as the TracFone feature phone that runs on Verizon.

Happy camper so far, although fingerprint program seems to have issues but that is not a Fi problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    So the apparently good LTE Tmo in Everwett wouldn't do internet, but when phone was forced to USC 3G, internet worked great.

Redwood Valley, CA/Moving back to Pocatello, ID in April, 2018
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I can answer my own question after having Google Fi for 2 months. I need a phone that is reliable 100% and because of that, I had to switch to another carrier. Internet speed on Fi was great, I pretty much always had LTE. However, I had a few issues with call quality. For most of the time, calls were fine. However on one day, a family member told me that he tried calling me 10 times and sent me a text and those never went through. Also, I was at the park and when I received a call it would break up (I could barely make out every other word). When I was at a grocery store and connected to their WiFi, I received a call and had the same issue. When I got off their WiFi and was called back, I didn't have an issue. If I travel though, I'll use Google Fi so I can have mobile internet and maybe be able to call someone. I'm glad I got a good deal on my Nexus 5x with them though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by morgothaod View Post
    I can answer my own question after having Google Fi for 2 months. I need a phone that is reliable 100% and because of that, I had to switch to another carrier. Internet speed on Fi was great, I pretty much always had LTE. However, I had a few issues with call quality. For most of the time, calls were fine. However on one day, a family member told me that he tried calling me 10 times and sent me a text and those never went through. Also, I was at the park and when I received a call it would break up (I could barely make out every other word). When I was at a grocery store and connected to their WiFi, I received a call and had the same issue. When I got off their WiFi and was called back, I didn't have an issue. If I travel though, I'll use Google Fi so I can have mobile internet and maybe be able to call someone. I'm glad I got a good deal on my Nexus 5x with them though.
    From what I've seen, there have been issues with the 5X and Fi. Not sure what the problem is, and some who have 5X phones are claiming the issues are fixed, but it was a problem previously.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

So far so good. Activated a new Nexus 5X on Project Fi.

I have used a Nexus 4 for a couple years until this month. Most recently, my MVNO was Ultra, which I liked. At the same time, Project Fi looked interesting from its beginning. If you compare Ultra to Fi,
    • Both have special features for international calling.
    • Both are slanted to users who need low-to-moderate amounts of data. That is, each has a version of Pay As You Go data, based on a price of $10 per gigabyte. Fi has true PAYGO for data, Ultra has flexibility but falls short of the PAYGO ideal.
    • The pricing is similar, although Project Fi will work out to be more expensive for me. If I made more overseas calls, Ultra would be cheaper.
    • Ultra is based on an interesting idea of multiple money-saving features for international calls. Project Fi is totally experimental and requires a Nexus or Pixel device.
    • Fi has roaming to 135 countries with simple rules and low cost. Ultra has no roaming, foreign or domestic.

Google announced the new Pixel phones on October 4. From that announcement, and the rumors that started days before, we learned that the Pixel phones would be much more expensive than the 5X and 6P. $649 to $879 for the new models. That was beyond my budget, especially since the 5X, at $249, looks to be a great phone in itself.

The Nexus phones were marked as no longer available from Google, but remained available if a person ordered them through http://fi.google.com . The handwriting was on the wall. The Nexus 5 was getting scarce, so I ordered mine on Oct 5. It came on Friday the 7th. I activated it on Wednesday the 12th. As I was ordering the phone, Google prompted me to input the information about my old service so the number could be transferred expediently. I supplied all the data including the Ultra account number. The Fi SIM was packed with the phone and activation took a few minutes.

There are active discussions of Fi on Google+ and on Reddit. You can read about every kind of bad luck that occurs. But heck, it wouldn't be a grand beta project without some problems. People report persistent problems if they are in an area where none of the carriers (T-mobile, Sprint, USCC) has a strong signal. Then the Fi algorithms fall short in switching to the least bad signal as the user travels about. AFAIK, my home area in Gaithersburg, Maryland has fair to good signals from T-Mo and Sprint, none from USCC. I have had no trouble.

On day 1, I installed Signal Spy Pro, which tells me what signal is active. Even with my limited travel, the active band bounces around. On T-Mo it will show LTE band 4 or band 12 usually. On Sprint, it may show LTE band 25 at 1900 MHz. But right now I forced it to Sprint (using Signal Spy Pro) and it showed band 26 (800 MHz), then band 25 again, then band 26. All of that is with no actual usage.

So... my device on the local towers is trying to do a good job. I'll have to get out of town more and see what happens.

Concerning the 5X device:
    • The camera is wonderful, including Hi-def movies.
    • The battery life seems really good. I think there are built-in features of Marshmallow that reduce battery drain when the phone is not in use. I'll try to preserve the battery life by keeping it out of the heat. The previous phone was exposed to too much heat in summers.
    • Wi-fi calling and Band 12 LTE will come in handy for travel even within Maryland.
    • Marshmallow (Android 6) is great. Nougat, 7.0, is available, but some glitches are reported. I can wait for a more perfect Nougat.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Reportedly, there are fixes in the Nougat kernel for the 5X that will help with carrier switching issues. I'm not sure of the details.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    Reportedly, there are fixes in the Nougat kernel for the 5X that will help with carrier switching issues. I'm not sure of the details.
    Thank you. I don't recall the exact complaints against Nougat. I am being offered 7.0, the never-updated Marshmallow. It's easy to update but hard to revert.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimWorthey View Post
    Thank you. I don't recall the exact complaints against Nougat. I am being offered 7.0, the never-updated Marshmallow. It's easy to update but hard to revert.
    Upgrade. Nougat cured the stutter issues that plagued my 5X on Marshmallow.
    Nexus 5X on Google Fi

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    ATT GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I've been reading numerous reports from 5x owners about Nougat sending phones into irreversible bootloops and bricking them. I'm not touching it until that issue is resolved.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast