Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezLouise View Post
    So the apparently good LTE Tmo in Everwett wouldn't do internet, but when phone was forced to USC 3G, internet worked great.
    Update, 8 months in.

PHONE, NEXUS 6P:

1st sent back because it didn't allow adding fingerprints after a while, and gradually stopped recognizing them.

2nd sent back because suddenly only 1/2 - 1/2 of the screen was visible, that half flickered periodically, and could not force the phone to shut down. Was able to wipe the phone via the Store before mailing. Post office probably would have concerns about a vibrating package when the alarms sounded.

3rd phone in hand for a few days, so far, so good. If this one breaks before the one year warranty expires, I'll get another replacement​. Just because 650$. Any breaks after warranty expires and I'll leave Project Fi. Maybe even go back to the old standby: a Samsung feature phone on TracFone's Verizon network for phone, and spouse's old Galaxy S3 for internet in locations that have WiFi.

I am a little irked that the policy is to replace with refurbished devices. They were refurbished for a reason and I am not confident the devices are reliable.
    Also irked that a 650$ device doesn't last at least 3 years. I saved to buy it. That seems like a crummy way to treat customers.

SERVICE:

If I don't leave home, the service will mostly stay on US Cellular, which is reliable there. Sometimes it picks up and grabs onto Sprint which is unreliable here. The Fi Switch app is my good friend.

Travelling from the foothills West of Yakima WA to Everett, the phone seems to get and stay on a T-Mobile signal. Some good, some not so good.

In the Mukilteo area, the phone repeatedly goes back to T-Mobile and Sprint; both have poor internet service in that region.

I do not know if I miss calls due to the phone's switching behaviors. I don't get many calls and usually notice poor internet only when I try to use it, Fi Switch back to (usually) US Cellular, then do my thing. It's inconvenient.

If I needed reliable phone and internet away from the house wifi, I would not use the Project Fi service. Would instead go with a Verizon or a Verizon like CDMA network or AT&T, which are reliable or mostly reliable (in that order) in the regions I need service.

I do mostly like the price of the plan, although I'd be better off with less talk and text in favor of more data. And the "cool" factor, although it is superceded by the cost of the unreliable device and service. My favorite part is a smartphone without bloatware, with timely OS upgrades, operating on US Cellular network.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Update about 11 months in. I am using Project Fi mostly between upstate New York and Massachusetts. I am saving money because I don't use more than 1GB of data most of the year, but in the summer when I am traveling more my data usage goes up. The beauty is that I am only paying for what I am using all year, resulting in a savings. Even during the summer I rarely go over 2GB though. I think pricing is good for us low-usage folks who are around wifi most of the time (at home and at work). In general coverage has been fine, though I routinely go where there is no coverage: Adirondacks and Vermont. Last summer I had a motorcycle breakdown miles from cell service and had to push it to a house for help. Coverage has picked up quite a bit along the coast where I go in the summer a lot, and in general I am fine with it. At home I stay locked onto either Sprint or T-Mo, depending on where I was most recently. Last year I was having lots of phone reception issues even at home, but something has changed improving my reception at home--not sure what. My Nexus 5X has run perfectly and I love the camera. Getting it for $10.48 per month is nice. Have not really used customer service for much, but I do find the online help information very good. No issues at all with the clean and simple billing--love that aspect compared to reading through my father's Dead Sea Scroll bill from AT&T.

Feedback Score
    I have had Fi for 10 months and love it. I use Wi-Fi at home and work so 1GB is much more than I need each month. Started with a Nexus 5x and just upgraded to a Pixel XL.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Finally dropped Fi after about 12 months and change due to needing more than 1GB of data on a regular basis, and hitting some coverage holes fairly frequently. Went back to AT&T Prepaid, joining my wife's plan so we both get 6GB of data a month with rollover for one additional month for $75 plus sales tax. That is essentially "unlimited" for us since we never approach those limits. Really loved the Fi service in terms of billing, etc., but the lack of phone selection, coverage, and cost once you go beyond 1GB per month were too limiting.

Feedback Score
    Just switched from a Nexus 5X to a Pixel XL on Project Fi. Got the phone updated using Wi-Fi including the Fi app. Moved the Fi Sim over to the Pixel and it just worked. No need to call anybody.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 640
    Feedback Score
    I absolutely love Project Fi, until I wanted to use more data. My only issue with PFi was how much I was 'counting the data' to try and use as little as possible. It's worth because there are so many options around $35-50 that give you good amounts of data. If you really don't use much data, it is still a great service.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    I agree it's not the ideal service for heavy data usage. The data only sim is a very attractive feature for me. You can use up to 9, I have2 so far.

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgie View Post
    I agree it's not the ideal service for heavy data usage. The data only sim is a very attractive feature for me. You can use up to 9, I have2 so far.
    Is SIM still TMobile only?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezLouise View Post
    Is SIM still TMobile only?

The data Sim is TMobile only, the regular Fi Sim for phone is TMobile, Sprint and US Cellularl.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7