Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Project Fi added Three - international data now LTE speeds

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    291
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Project Fi added Three - international data now LTE speeds

    I give Project Fi a lot of credit. They get US Cellular to join, and now this:

    http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...m_medium=gplus

    From the article....
    ".....Google has just announced that Three has been added to Project Fi. This means subscribers will now have access to data speeds that are 10-20X faster than before when traveling abroad. Google also notes that Project Fi now spans to 135+ destinations around the world."

    For those that travel internationally, that does make life a little better. I think before it was around 256 Kb, which is okay for some things, but LTE is certainly an improvement.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    96
    Device(s)
    Sony Xperia M4 Aqua
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    I give Project Fi a lot of credit. They get US Cellular to join, and now this:

    http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...m_medium=gplus

    From the article....
    ".....Google has just announced that Three has been added to Project Fi. This means subscribers will now have access to data speeds that are 10-20X faster than before when traveling abroad. Google also notes that Project Fi now spans to 135+ destinations around the world."

    For those that travel internationally, that does make life a little better. I think before it was around 256 Kb, which is okay for some things, but LTE is certainly an improvement.
    That's great to read.

    However, I don't get how adding Three gives you data speeds in that amount of countries..including ones where Three does not operate....regardless...this is quite a first though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    2,449
    Device(s)
    Pixel2, s8+, s8, s7e, Pro3, Axon 7, Nexus 5+6+5x, Note 4, moto xp
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, Project Fi, att, tmo, FreedomPop, trac/att, Red Pocket/vzw, Tello, tru, lyca, ekit
    Feedback Score
    0
    Looking at the reddit threads, it appears that speeds are now 2mbps (e.g. Canada) to 4mbps (hence the 10-20x). There is also info that speeds are not capped at all on Three. Time will tell.
    --
    CellGuru

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    14,191
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by culex316 View Post
    That's great to read.

    However, I don't get how adding Three gives you data speeds in that amount of countries..including ones where Three does not operate....regardless...this is quite a first though.
    Two separate sentences:
    1) Fi has high-speed data on Three
    2) Fi now roams on 135+ destinations around the world.
    Donald Newcomb

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Detroit (Frequent UK/UAE Visitor)
    Posts
    552
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Two separate sentences:
    1) Fi has high-speed data on Three
    2) Fi now roams on 135+ destinations around the world.
    First, I think time will tell on this one. I'd like to see what countries got added and subtracted. I noticed that you can no longer roam in Bermuda. The country descriptions, however, seem to have say high speed when you go country-by-country here:

    https://fi.google.com/about/rates/

    I'm also hoping that the LTE roaming agreements will mean faster connect times when you initially hand. People seem to struggle a little bit initially getting onto networks

    I note that American Somoa, Midway, and Guam seem to be free calls.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    14,191
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Interesting that Cuba is among the low-cost destinations. Cuba is historically very expensive for roamers.
    Never mind. It's only WiFi calls and texts. Cellular roaming is not available. Just because they have a flag on Fi's rate page doesn't mean that you can roam there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dover, NH
    Posts
    2,578
    Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's a bit confusing, but reading posts from a Fi employee, the Three network adds full speed LTE in certain European countries, adds some additional ones from what T-mobile offers, AND no longer limits any international data to 256Kbps. Instead you get 2-4Mbps all over the world, depending on how well the infrastructure can support it that is.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    291
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just guessing, but with T-Mobile going LTE in many countries (I think they even have it as a summer promotion on it), and Project Fi adding Three's network and roaming agreements, that is why Project Fi is able to promote it the way they are.

    Before Project Fi was simply taking advantage of T-Mobile and Sprint's international roaming agreements as part of their own. I think they are still doing that, but with Three they get to choose which one is best for the phone user, similar to what they are doing now with T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular.

    It wouldn't surprise me if Project Fi is working with Three (and possibly another EU carrier) so they can add US roaming support for those in Great Britain and the EU to come to the US without having to get a sim card as well. Not sure if someone is already doing that, but it would put Project Fi on the map in Europe real easy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    Just guessing, but with T-Mobile going LTE in many countries (I think they even have it as a summer promotion on it), and Project Fi adding Three's network and roaming agreements, that is why Project Fi is able to promote it the way they are.

    Before Project Fi was simply taking advantage of T-Mobile and Sprint's international roaming agreements as part of their own. I think they are still doing that, but with Three they get to choose which one is best for the phone user, similar to what they are doing now with T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular.

    It wouldn't surprise me if Project Fi is working with Three (and possibly another EU carrier) so they can add US roaming support for those in Great Britain and the EU to come to the US without having to get a sim card as well. Not sure if someone is already doing that, but it would put Project Fi on the map in Europe real easy.
    I don't think so, almost all european operators include roaming in US and Canada for free or at the same price of EU roaming.
    I think it is a move for just the US customers to give free roaming and high speed data.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Okeechobee FL
    Posts
    490
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    Looking at the reddit threads, it appears that speeds are now 2mbps (e.g. Canada) to 4mbps (hence the 10-20x). There is also info that speeds are not capped at all on Three. Time will tell.
    This article shares latest in Paris (and Canada) https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/73707...eams-come-true). It will be 3 months before we're testing speeds in Copenhagen, Malmö, and Barcelona.

    Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    Rome Airport: H3G HSDPA
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    So far still lot of problems in Italy. The only network I'm able to connect to is H3G, no access to Vodafone, Tim and Wind...that means very spotty coverage and no access to the LTE. Plus, when I make a call, the caller ID is unknown instead of being my number...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    291
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by davidepisu View Post
    So far still lot of problems in Italy. The only network I'm able to connect to is H3G, no access to Vodafone, Tim and Wind...that means very spotty coverage and no access to the LTE. Plus, when I make a call, the caller ID is unknown instead of being my number...
    Have you talked with Project Fi support on your issues?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    I sent an email.... I'm not in a rush since I'm home and have wifi with me (I'm in the US with a j1 visa)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    291
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by davidepisu View Post
    I sent an email.... I'm not in a rush since I'm home and have wifi with me (I'm in the US with a j1 visa)
    Understood. I would take advantage of that whenever that happens again.

    I give Project Fi credit that there are many ways to reach out to them, and their Tier 1 customer support is quite good. If you're near another phone when it happens even better because you can have them call that phone while they work on your issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. You can now check your Project Fi invite "status"...
    By Jay in forum Google Project Fi
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2015, 06:58 PM
  2. Replies: 112
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 08:30 PM
  3. ST more lax with data, now that we have LTE?
    By mvjunkie in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 09:04 AM
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM
  5. Will LTE end expensive international data roaming?
    By ensnare in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 03:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks