Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Project Fi added Three - international data now LTE speeds

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    Understood. I would take advantage of that whenever that happens again.

I give Project Fi credit that there are many ways to reach out to them, and their Tier 1 customer support is quite good. If you're near another phone when it happens even better because you can have them call that phone while they work on your issue.
    Here's an update.
    So, I got no answer from Project Fi, but I tried to put my sim card on my iPhone 6s Plus.
    In the iPhone, I'm able to register on TIM and 3 ITA networks and I got LTE on both. At the beginning I was also able to register to Vodafone IT LTE and I was able to open some websites, but after I switched back to TIM and tried to register again on Vodafone, they blocked me on that network.
    So for now the only accessible networks are TIM and H3G on iPhone.
    Yesterday I was able to join the Wind network on the Nexus 6P, but on the iPhone doesn't work. Putting the Sim back on the Nexus 6P the only accessible networks are Wind and H3G (no LTE).
    Also, the nexus 6P doesn't have the Band 20 LTE (the low band spectrum, like the 700Mhz in the US) that here is widely used. In fact, with my iPhone I was connected to TIM on band 20 LTE. To get LTE on the iPhone you need to manually setup the apn field with h2g2 (in both Cellular Data and LTE setup).

My suspicion is that while on the iPhone we use the T-mobile partners, in the Nexus 6P the Fi app let us use just the operators with which Google has an agreement with. I will try to uninstall the Fi app and see what happens.

Regarding the Caller ID on phone calls, on the iPhone not problems at all, while in the Nexus 6P my call shows as unknown number...probably Google redirects the calls to some sort of Voip service which is not setup correctly.
    Last edited by davidepisu; 07-29-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So, I got no answer from Project Fi....
    How did you reach out to them? Emails are usually 8-24 hours, they usually don't respond to feedback via the app, but them calling you back is usually less than 5 minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    How did you reach out to them? Emails are usually 8-24 hours, they usually don't respond to feedback via the app, but them calling you back is usually less than 5 minutes.
    Email, but this afternoon I also called them.

They had me to disable and re-enable the Project Fi app and the Hangouts app.
    All the steps didn't solve the problems.

I believe it is just how Project Fi is configured. In the Nexus 6P, when you're roaming in one of the countries where Project Fi has an agreement with Three Uk, the Project Fi sim card is seen as a Three Uk sim card.
    There's an apn voice called "Project Fi - Simon", and looking at the settings the MCC and MNC are 324 and 20, the ones of three uk. When I tried to modify or delete that apn setting, the phone restored the defaults apn settings for three uk (for both internet and MMS).
    Trying to create a new apn with the MCC and MNC for T-mobile was impossible with the Project Fi app enabled.
    Disabling the Project Fi app and rebooting the phone results in the sim card to behave like in the iPhone, and it is seen as a T-mobile sim card.
    So basically, what the Project Fi app does is to create a specific carrier setting, based on the country you're visiting. I noticed that upon arrival in Italy, when I turned on the phone, the GPS icon appeared and then the Project Fi app poped up the message that said "Welcome to Italy - We have you covered here".
    After that I started to have connection on Three Italy.
    So the Project Fi app when enabled will override the standard carrier settings on the phone to connect you with the partner they have an agreement which.
    Another confirmation of that is when you try to make a phone call using the phone stock dialer. On the Nexus 6p, calling a number that is not a US number with the stock phone app results in an unknown number, while using Hangouts shows the phone number. This is because the call on Hangouts is routed directly through Google, while with the stock phone dialer is routed through http://hueglobalsolutions.com the H3G mvne platform which Google is now using in some markets (and likely where the misconfiguration caller id problem arise).

My idea is that Hue doesn't have an agreement with the two major italian operators (for a reason since H3G is buying Wind here and it is becoming the biggest mobile operator), but when the sim card is read as a T-mobile get access to the T-mobile roaming agreements, although some operators like Vodafone immediately recognize the sim card as not an official T-mobile sim card and prevent its access to the network.

Feedback Score
    Update: after posting this same message on the Google forum today something is changed. I disabled and re-enabled the Project Fi app after being in a place where H3G had no signal, since I wanted to use the T-Mobile roaming agreements. When I activated Project Fi again it has created a new APN settings this time called "Project Fi - Tm" , with the MCC and MNC of T-Mobile and Google codes as mvno. Now the phone has stable connection to Tim and the icon R (as roaming), appeared on the top of the screen within the signal bars.

Feedback Score
    Here's the screenshots
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Feedback Score
    Speeds are not so good as they were with H3G. Ping is obscene
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2