Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Verizon 2G shut down by 12-31-2019

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG G6+, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    It is a metaphor. Still plenty of places my phone falls back to 1x/EV-DO.
    LTE speeds aren't very good there in Seattle either, at least at King Street Station (Amtrak (long distance trains and Cascades commute trains), Sounders commute trains, Light Rail, trolley), and downtown, they were horrible.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG G6+, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    The problem is tower density and the smaller range of LTE. With enough spending, VZW can fix it.
    No problems up here with that, but we're rural. Verizon has actually been pretty active in adding new sites and doing Co-locations here as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Verizon should keep a 5x5 carrier on 1x
    IS-2000 (aka: 1X) uses 1.25MHz wide channels, not "carriers" of variable size like LTE. They could leave it running indefinitely without much hit to their spectrum holdings. The problem would be getting replacement equipment. I suspect they're already running into issues with that, hence the accelerated schedule.

It's too reliable of a network to completely shut down. I'm just skeptical that their Vollte network will as reliable as their legacy 1x.
    YMMV, but I've found if I lock my phone into LTE-only mode I've got usable LTE coverage everywhere I have usable 1X/EVDO signal. Most devices are more aggressive aboit falling back to the older technology than they need to be.

For data, LTE outperforms EVDO with crappy signal. I spent a weekend in rural Alabama, with signal strengths at and below -110dBm. On EVDO (which my phone preferred) I had sub-ISDN speeds, under 100Kbit/s. Locked to LTE-only I was getting 1.0 to 1.5Mbit/s.

For voice, well, again, YMMV depending on device. I tried to get VoLTE calls to drop out in the boonies and I wasn't able to do it. I've never had one drop while in motion either. As far as I'm concerned the LTE overlay is complete.

Mind you, I have a Motorola Nexus 6, and Motorola has a longstanding and well deserved reputation for radio quality. They pull usable signals where other devices have none. It's a shame they're largely irrelevant. Samsung and LG make flashy devices but I don't think they realize that there are parts of the United States outside of the major cities with dense coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shakrai View Post
    Mind you, I have a Motorola Nexus 6, and Motorola has a longstanding and well deserved reputation for radio quality. They pull usable signals where other devices have none. It's a shame they're largely irrelevant. Samsung and LG make flashy devices but I don't think they realize that there are parts of the United States outside of the major cities with dense coverage.
    It's been well known that Samsung radios are pretty damn good now a days, I get signal with my S7 that my Moto X 2014 never did.

Feedback Score
    IS-2000 (aka: 1X) uses 1.25MHz wide channels, not "carriers" of variable size like LTE. They could leave it running indefinitely without much hit to their spectrum holdings. The problem would be getting replacement equipment. I suspect they're already running into issues with that, hence the accelerated schedule.

YMMV, but I've found if I lock my phone into LTE-only mode I've got usable LTE coverage everywhere I have usable 1X/EVDO signal. Most devices are more aggressive aboit falling back to the older technology than they need to be.

For data, LTE outperforms EVDO with crappy signal. I spent a weekend in rural Alabama, with signal strengths at and below -110dBm. On EVDO (which my phone preferred) I had sub-ISDN speeds, under 100Kbit/s. Locked to LTE-only I was getting 1.0 to 1.5Mbit/s.

For voice, well, again, YMMV depending on device. I tried to get VoLTE calls to drop out in the boonies and I wasn't able to do it. I've never had one drop while in motion either. As far as I'm concerned the LTE overlay is complete.

There is no doubt Vollte has dramatically improved since its inception. Even in weak LTE coverage , the phone will hang on to dear life just to keep the call connected. Verizon just needs to keep adding towers especially in markets where they are stretched thin.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    It's been well known that Samsung radios are pretty damn good now a days, I get signal with my S7 that my Moto X 2014 never did.
    That's encouraging, if true; I don't really care for Samsung and have no first hand experience with them. My second hand experience with them has been depressing enough for my tastes.

Did they fix their lousy GPS chipset yet? Add a barometer for accurate altitude readings? I used to laugh, my sister and I used to use oir phones to log runs before we got Polars. When running together and logging them with the same app her S5 would have us running in the middle of the Mississippi River and show thousands of feet of elevation change.

My Moto X had us exactly where we were -- it was precise enough to show what side of the street you were on! -- while accurately logging elevation changes (zero) and altitude (below sea level -- we live in New Orleans)

They also have bloatware galore and locked bootloaders, which are major dealbreakers for me, but to each his own.

Feedback Score

My Moto X had us exactly where we were -- it was precise enough to show what side of the street you were on! -- while accurately logging elevation changes (zero) and altitude (below sea level -- we live in New Orleans)
    Where do you find the altitude on a Moto X? Thanks.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Also, running legacy equipment like 1x is a significant cost to Verizon, and quite a bit of overhead for not much gain.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Also, running legacy equipment like 1x is a significant cost to Verizon, and quite a bit of overhead for not much gain.
    The thing is there are still many 3G/1x gaps across the country. In my market I rarely see it anymore as they continue to densify. I would think the task of getting LTE everywhere ( especially where those gaps are) will be tough to pull off.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    LTE speeds aren't very good there in Seattle either, at least at King Street Station (Amtrak (long distance trains and Cascades commute trains), Sounders commute trains, Light Rail, trolley), and downtown, they were horrible.
    The sad thing is that VZW LTE is considerably better than AT&T LTE downtown. Band 30 should help AT&T though.

The main areas where I see VZW phones fallback to EV-DO/1x routinely are the eastern suburbs of Seattle: Issaquah, Redmond, Sammamish, and the nearby pieces of unincorporated King County. Haven't seen much improvement in these areas for years. LTE coverage with both AT&T and T-mobile are better in these areas. VZW needs to catch up.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There is no doubt Vollte has dramatically improved since its inception. Even in weak LTE coverage , the phone will hang on to dear life just to keep the call connected. Verizon just needs to keep adding towers especially in markets where they are stretched thin.
    They do not need to add towers. Not to mention they just can't "add towers" as they want. Adding a tower can take years and are often rejected by zoning boards. Google "Verizon tower rejected" using the quotes under NEWS and see what you get.

The thing is there are still many 3G/1x gaps across the country.
    In July 2016. That means nothing in Dec 2019. Think back to Feb 2013. What was coverage like then because that is the same time frame were's talking about. By Dec 2019 band 2 will completely rolled out. Band 66 should be rolled out most places. Band 5 will be started to roll out. And even 600 MHz will be rolled out in some areas. I would think that 600 MHz would alleviate worries about coverage since it would have greater range and can penetrate buildings better than band 13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunya_Bizness View Post
    They do not need to add towers. Not to mention they just can't "add towers" as they want. Adding a tower can take years and are often rejected by zoning boards. Google "Verizon tower rejected" using the quotes under NEWS and see what you get.

In July 2016. That means nothing in Dec 2019. Think back to Feb 2013. What was coverage like then because that is the same time frame were's talking about. By Dec 2019 band 2 will completely rolled out. Band 66 should be rolled out most places. Band 5 will be started to roll out. And even 600 MHz will be rolled out in some areas. I would think that 600 MHz would alleviate worries about coverage since it would have greater range and can penetrate buildings better than band 13.
    You make valid points. They do need more towers in markets though , some areas their network is stretched thin. I've been very impressed with their densification here near NYC. They have certainly been the most active out of all the carriers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That's encouraging, if true; I don't really care for Samsung and have no first hand experience with them. My second hand experience with them has been depressing enough for my tastes.

Did they fix their lousy GPS chipset yet? Add a barometer for accurate altitude readings? I used to laugh, my sister and I used to use oir phones to log runs before we got Polars. When running together and logging them with the same app her S5 would have us running in the middle of the Mississippi River and show thousands of feet of elevation change.

They also have bloatware galore and locked bootloaders, which are major dealbreakers for me, but to each his own.
    You need to get a new Samsung.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I wonder what they plan to do with 2.5x2.5 MHz that gets left over when you run 10x10 LTE on band 5?
    Band 5 can be run at 1.4, so they can use the guard bands on CLR for a small channel of LTE - it'd be great for extra voice capacity.

This is good to see - VZW's 2G network sounds atrocious. Using UMTS and VoLTE now, calling someone one 1x or using my mom's phone is dreadful.

Feedback Score
    What about all the 3G/1X devices that VZW's mvnos are selling daily (ie Tracfone, Pageplus, all other America Movil Brands) I know they have a lot of these devices, and they sell at Walmart and other retailers like crazy. I have yet to see a VoLTE dumb phone (sarcasm). Knowing Tracfone they'll probably offer to replace all the active VZW Tracfones with either a GSM model or a really bad LTE phone.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast