Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Verizon 2G shut down by 12-31-2019

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubtub View Post
    What about all the 3G/1X devices that VZW's mvnos are selling daily (ie Tracfone, Pageplus, all other America Movil Brands) I know they have a lot of these devices, and they sell at Walmart and other retailers like crazy. I have yet to see a VoLTE dumb phone (sarcasm). Knowing Tracfone they'll probably offer to replace all the active VZW Tracfones with either a GSM model or a really bad LTE phone.
    You do get this is 3 1/2 years out? Which MVNOs are selling 3G only smartphones? As far as basic phones those users are falling in number and as long as Verizon starts selling LTE basic phones by mid 2018 there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunya_Bizness View Post
    Which MVNOs are selling 3G only smartphones?
    I think they have pretty much been clearanced out by now. There were some that were still on the shelves in the Spring but I don't see any in the stores any more.

Feedback Score
    Shakrai, not sure if you already knew about this, but I came across this in my research. http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/21...speaker-grill/

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    You clearly didn't read the article.
    Sorry, but I did. They are telling customers that they want people off the network by the end of 2019, but that they may continue if there are critical needs.

I think it's a pipe dream, that's all.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    .....This is good to see - VZW's 2G network sounds atrocious. Using UMTS and VoLTE now, calling someone one 1x or using my mom's phone is dreadful.
    CDMA does not have to sound dreadful, it's the CODEC they elect to use.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Look at Page Plus Cellular. If you only want a low usage plan your only options are for a 3G phone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Sorry, but I did. They are telling customers that they want people off the network by the end of 2019, but that they may continue if there are critical needs.

I think it's a pipe dream, that's all.
    You did? It doesn't seem that way. And you're wrong. You going to come back here in 3 1/2 years to admit you were wrong? Why would it be a pipe dream? I'm waiting for the logic behind that statement.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrobe View Post
    Look at Page Plus Cellular. If you only want a low usage plan your only options are for a 3G phone.
    Well IF they exist in 3 1/2 years they'll have to change now won't they?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shakrai View Post
    YMMV, but I've found if I lock my phone into LTE-only mode I've got usable LTE coverage everywhere I have usable 1X/EVDO signal. Most devices are more aggressive aboit falling back to the older technology than they need to be.

For data, LTE outperforms EVDO with crappy signal. I spent a weekend in rural Alabama, with signal strengths at and below -110dBm. On EVDO (which my phone preferred) I had sub-ISDN speeds, under 100Kbit/s. Locked to LTE-only I was getting 1.0 to 1.5Mbit/s.

For voice, well, again, YMMV depending on device. I tried to get VoLTE calls to drop out in the boonies and I wasn't able to do it. I've never had one drop while in motion either. As far as I'm concerned the LTE overlay is complete.

Mind you, I have a Motorola Nexus 6, and Motorola has a longstanding and well deserved reputation for radio quality. They pull usable signals where other devices have none. It's a shame they're largely irrelevant. Samsung and LG make flashy devices but I don't think they realize that there are parts of the United States outside of the major cities with dense coverage.
    That's quite a statement to make. Have you used their LTE network in every part of the country to know that it's reliable enough to replace CDMA? Many people are saying otherwise based on their experience.

There are many areas where LTE still does not reach, and only CDMA does.

In July 2016. That means nothing in Dec 2019. Think back to Feb 2013. What was coverage like then because that is the same time frame were's talking about. By Dec 2019 band 2 will completely rolled out. Band 66 should be rolled out most places. Band 5 will be started to roll out. And even 600 MHz will be rolled out in some areas. I would think that 600 MHz would alleviate worries about coverage since it would have greater range and can penetrate buildings better than band 13.
    600MHz? Verizon has said they're not interested in 600MHz since they already have nationwide 700MHz.

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...0-mhz-spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    CDMA does not have to sound dreadful, it's the CODEC they elect to use.
    And the fact that they're stripping spectrum from CDMA to move to LTE doesn't help either.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    600MHz? Verizon has said they're not interested in 600MHz since they already have nationwide 700MHz.

Then why are the listed as a bidder and put down a downpayment?

And the fact that they're stripping spectrum from CDMA to move to LTE doesn't help either.
    How much spectrum do you need for phone calls? On CDMA it's not even 8 kbps. Who makes calls anymore? And yes that's a bit sarcastic but our usage is down at least 80% over what it was 3 years ago. Not to mention Verizon has wi-fi calling now which also helps in areas with bad signal. Assuming you have wi-fi access of course. For people to say Verizon won't be able to do this or that 3 1/2 years from now based on TODAY is ridiculous.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    You did? It doesn't seem that way. And you're wrong. You going to come back here in 3 1/2 years to admit you were wrong? Why would it be a pipe dream? I'm waiting for the logic behind that statement.
    I think it's a pipe dream that the millions of CDMA 1x devices will be powered down by the end of 2019. I think VoLTE continues to stagnate. Verizon claimed they would have LTE-only devices with VoLTE pervasive by now. The HTC One A9 had to be de-certified, and HTC had to refund all their customers who bought to use on Verizon.

You still can't enable VoLTE using the standard AOSP/GMS VoLTE flag.

I don't think Verizon will be ready by the end of 2019. Even if they are, the industry won't be - because they can't begin phaseout until Verizon has LTE working fine as a solo network. I have good indicators (noted above) to demonstrate.

P.S. Asking people to "come back here in 3 1/2 years to admit you were wrong" is punitive for no reason. It's just going to discourage people from ever talking to you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dnywlsh View Post
    That's quite a statement to make. Have you used their LTE network in every part of the country to know that it's reliable enough to replace CDMA? Many people are saying otherwise based on their experience.

There are many areas where LTE still does not reach, and only CDMA does.

That article is 8 months old and says that Verizon will walk away if the price wanted by a 3rd party gets too high; it doesn't say that they don't want 600Mhz and doesn't even mention 700Mhz.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    I think it's a pipe dream that the millions of CDMA 1x devices will be powered down by the end of 2019.
    You do get we are talking strictly about retail phones not business m2m devices. And yes it's possible. The number of 3G only smartphones will be zero and the number of basic feature phone that are CDMA only will be less than a few million at best.

There is enough spectrum left over for those things for example in my area Verizon has.

824 - 835
    845 - 846.5
    869 - 880
    890 - 891.5

Clearly 824-835 and 869-890 will be used for LTE leaving 345-346.5 and 890-891.5 for m2m.

I think VoLTE continues to stagnate.
    It's not stagnating and I think you are wrong.

You still can't enable VoLTE using the standard AOSP/GMS VoLTE flag. I don't think Verizon will be ready by the end of 2019. Even if they are, the industry won't be - because they can't begin phaseout until Verizon has LTE working fine as a solo network. I have good indicators (noted above) to demonstrate.
    OMG you're 100% right . Verizon in no way can have VoLTE only in just a mere 1265 days. Impossible.

P.S. Asking people to "come back here in 3 1/2 years to admit you were wrong" is punitive for no reason. It's just going to discourage people from ever talking to you.
    If you don't wish to back up your claims that's on you. I'll be here. threads don't go away.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    That article is 8 months old and says that Verizon will walk away if the price wanted by a 3rd party gets too high; it doesn't say that they don't want 600Mhz and doesn't even mention 700Mhz.
    I think this guy likes to argue. here's another one from the same time that says Verizon WILL participate

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...rum/2015-10-20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    Where do you find the altitude on a Moto X? Thanks.
    Any GPS application will give it to you. I use GPS Status & Toolbox but I'm sure there are other things.

The difference with the Moto X is it has a barometric altimeter in it. It will use a combination of this sensor and GPS altitude to determine your initial altitude and any subsequent changes. Phones without a barometric sensor have to rely solely on GPS to determine altitude and it's extremely inaccurate.

You can download a barometer app if you care to access that sensor directly and use it for things besides altitude measurement.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast