Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 4GHS Rural Internet

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    I don't understand. A hotspot is a hotspot. You aren't required to buy a hotspot to buy the plan from 4HAS.
    A Mobile Hotspot is usually about the size of a deck of cards, and is made for on-the-go use. The MiFi, Jetpack, etc devices are all Mobile Hotspots. Examples below:

Verizon Wireless Netgear AC791L Jetpack
    Name:  02-wifi-hotspot-verizon-wireless-jetpack-4g-lte-ac791l-630.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  103.7 KB

Verizon Wireless Novatel MiFi 6620L Jetpack
    Name:  mifi6620l-1.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  30.8 KB

Home & Office Hotspots, on the other hand, are devices intended to be used in a stationary location as a replacement for landline internet. They have more powerful routers built-in, usually more powerful LTE/cellular antennas, and have to be plugged into an electrical outlet all the time to be used. They're often marketed primarily to businesses, and include devices such as:

Verizon Wireless Novatel T1114 "4G LTE Router with Voice"
    Name:  Router-Novatel-T1114-Tasman-Verizon.jpg
Size:  13.6 KB

Sprint Netgear "LTE Gateway" 6100D

Name:  BrooklynBrdg_1.png
Views: 1449
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  netgear-lte-gateway-6100d-hbp-antennas_492.65418502203403.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  19.2 KB

It's devices of the latter type that I would be interested in if I were to activate service with CricKet/AT&T, as I would be using this as a primary internet source, and I demand business class performance in that situation.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    A Mobile Hotspot is usually about the size of a deck of cards, and is made for on-the-go use. The MiFi, Jetpack, etc devices are all Mobile Hotspots. Examples below:

Verizon Wireless Netgear AC791L Jetpack
    Name:  02-wifi-hotspot-verizon-wireless-jetpack-4g-lte-ac791l-630.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  103.7 KB

Verizon Wireless Novatel MiFi 6620L Jetpack
    Name:  mifi6620l-1.jpg
Size:  30.8 KB

Home & Office Hotspots, on the other hand, are devices intended to be used in a stationary location as a replacement for landline internet. They have more powerful routers built-in, usually more powerful LTE/cellular antennas, and have to be plugged into an electrical outlet all the time to be used. They're often marketed primarily to businesses, and include devices such as:

Verizon Wireless Novatel T1114 "4G LTE Router with Voice"
    Name:  Router-Novatel-T1114-Tasman-Verizon.jpg
Size:  13.6 KB

Sprint Netgear "LTE Gateway" 6100D

Name:  BrooklynBrdg_1.png
Views: 1449
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  netgear-lte-gateway-6100d-hbp-antennas_492.65418502203403.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  19.2 KB

It's devices of the latter type that I would be interested in if I were to activate service with CricKet/AT&T, as I would be using this as a primary internet source, and I demand business class performance in that situation.
    All you need is a hotspot that can take a SIM card and supports AT&T's bands. Sprint and VZW operate a little differently than AT&T and T-mobile do. With AT&T and T-mobile the SIM gets activated, but the device doesn't really matter for the most part. A phone needs to have a voice plan, and hotspots won't work unless the plan supports hotspot, but other than that there aren't really any limitations such as a certain type of device or model that can be used.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Let's say someone wants to take advantage of this deal, but doesn't want to use a Mobile Hotspot. Let's say they prefer to use a "Home and Office Hotspot" with Business Class reliability, instead. What options are available for AT&T/CricKet for that type of device?
    This is what I use with T-Mobile.

http://mofinetwork.com/files/MOFI450...Spec_Sheet.pdf

It also supports 2x carrier aggregation.
    $25 Cricket Wireless Signup Bonus

Cricket offers a $25 referral credit for new subscribers who are referred by another user. Simply use the link above to claim your bonus.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

All you need is a hotspot that can take a SIM card and supports AT&T's bands. Sprint and VZW operate a little differently than AT&T and T-mobile do. With AT&T and T-mobile the SIM gets activated, but the device doesn't really matter for the most part. A phone needs to have a voice plan, and hotspots won't work unless the plan supports hotspot, but other than that there aren't really any limitations such as a certain type of device or model that can be used.
    With pretty much ALL LTE networks, the data activation is on a SIM. That includes Sprint and Verizon Wireless. Their devices no longer work without a SIM... or, at least the LTE Bands won't work without it, which would greatly reduce your coverage. I have yet to find an LTE carrier in the USA that doesn't use SIMs in their devices.

As for the differences between carriers, it's pretty simple. On both Sprint and Metro PCS (T-Mobile's pre-paid offering) the SIMs are IMEI LOCKED, which means they can ONLY work in a device if the IMEI matches the IMEI listed in your account with the carrier. This means that EVERY TIME you change device, you have to involve your carrier in changing the registered IMEI on your account, AND you have to change the SIM card, too. This allows them to rigidly control which devices you can and cannot use with your account, taking away the power of choice that a free market should be allowing us to have.

While it is apparently possible to defeat IMEI Locking if one's hacking skills are 1337 enough, doing so is also apparently a violation of Federal laws. Therefore I'm not willing to even waste my time and money signing up for service with a carrier that does that crap, because it defeats the whole purpose of a SIM card, which is to have your account active on the SIM, so you can change devices whenever you feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by manhole View Post
    This is what I use with T-Mobile.

http://mofinetwork.com/files/MOFI450...Spec_Sheet.pdf

It also supports 2x carrier aggregation.
    Been hearing a lot about that recently! But how does someone that wants it actually ORDER one? MoFi haven't exactly made it easy to obtain one.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

4GHS Rural Internet

Been hearing a lot about that recently! But how does someone that wants it actually ORDER one? MoFi haven't exactly made it easy to obtain one.
    Just click "Add to Cart". Or were you being sarcastic?

http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=189

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manhole View Post
    Just click "Add to Cart". Or were you being sarcastic?

http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=189
    Nope, not being sarcastic! In the other HoFo threads where it's been mentioned, it was said that it WASN'T on their website yet.

Feedback Score
    With pretty much ALL LTE networks, the data activation is on a SIM. That includes Sprint and Verizon Wireless. Their devices no longer work without a SIM... or, at least the LTE Bands won't work without it, which would greatly reduce your coverage. I have yet to find an LTE carrier in the USA that doesn't use SIMs in their devices.

As for the differences between carriers, it's pretty simple. On both Sprint and Metro PCS (T-Mobile's pre-paid offering) the SIMs are IMEI LOCKED, which means they can ONLY work in a device if the IMEI matches the IMEI listed in your account with the carrier. This means that EVERY TIME you change device, you have to involve your carrier in changing the registered IMEI on your account, AND you have to change the SIM card, too. This allows them to rigidly control which devices you can and cannot use with your account, taking away the power of choice that a free market should be allowing us to have.

While it is apparently possible to defeat IMEI Locking if one's hacking skills are 1337 enough, doing so is also apparently a violation of Federal laws. Therefore I'm not willing to even waste my time and money signing up for service with a carrier that does that crap, because it defeats the whole purpose of a SIM card, which is to have your account active on the SIM, so you can change devices whenever you feel like it.

I don't quite follow your concern as it relates to AT&T. AT&T, like T-mobile, just activates the SIM card. You can put the SIM in any device you want. A phone is supposed to have a voice plan, and hotspot isn't supposed to work unless the account allows for hotspot, but other than that you just swap the SIM as desired.

Take AT&T's MSV plans for example. With those plans you buy a bucket of data, but the SIM can be put into any device since there are no restrictions. That's how this plan by 4HAS is supposed to work. If you want voice you need to add voice, and if you want to use a phone you might need to add voice, but AT&T doesn't say "you can't use that phone or that hotspot with our service".

The AT&T DTV unlimited plan does have hotspot restrictions though, but that is because they only allow connected car hotspots on that plan.

With Sprint and MetroPCS, they do lock the IMEI to the SIM, but that's not how AT&T or T-mobile work. I suspect that MetroPCS still locks the IMEI to the SIM because T-mobile never updated the MetroPCS system, but MetroPCS will let you SIM swap for free as long as you give them the IMEI.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Nope, not being sarcastic! In the other HoFo threads where it's been mentioned, it was said that it WASN'T on their website yet.
    Ok I want sure :-). I ordered it about a month ago.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

4GHS Rural Internet

In the RV mobile internet link it says 4GHS confirmed the Cricket partnership.

AT&T absolutely does not deliver 10Mbps and 70-170 ping times. That's Cricket speed, the ping time alone is a red flag because AT&T's average is closer to 40ms.

I called and spoke to someone. It's capped at 8 Mbps down and 8 Mbps up. Was confirmed by a rep. It does use AT&T network but I didn't asked if it was from cricket. And it's not good for gaming. High ping time. Which would pretty much say it's running through cricket wireless proxies.
    Last edited by Slagish; 07-29-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    I called and spoke to someone. It's capped at 8 Mbps down and 8 Mbps up. Was confirmed by a rep. It does use AT&T network but I didn't asked if it was from cricket. And it's not good for gaming. High ping time. Which would pretty much say it's running through cricket wireless proxies.
    This really does vary, Slagish. On my unlimited plan I haven't seen triple digit latency in months - it typically is in the 40s and 50s. The wife's line isn't the U/L plan and typically sees 90s ms latency.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have been using it for three days, got the MoFi router, It is Cricket, it uses the ndo apn. It is about the same speed as my Exede service, I do notice slightly higher latency. But if your not a gamer the 68 and change after taxes is much better than over $200 for 35 GB in a month priority data from exede.

Ping 148 down speed 6.6Mbps, Up speed 6.7Mbps

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kneemeister View Post
    I have been using it for three days, got the MoFi router, It is Cricket, it uses the ndo apn. It is about the same speed as my Exede service, I do notice slightly higher latency. But if your not a gamer the 68 and change after taxes is much better than over $200 for 35 GB in a month priority data from exede.

Ping 148 down speed 6.6Mbps, Up speed 6.7Mbps
    Do you mean latency is less on your satellite connection? They use a geostationary satellite...it is impossible for a geostationary satellite to have latency in the 100s ms range due to the near 45,000 mile data trip.

Feedback Score
    This is typical for my testing, except upload speeds are generally much higher. This is using a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4 on a Cricket Unlimited Data plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Its at the end of the month so I am on "liberty pass" from exede, monday I will run a true compareison test between the two. But last night the 4GHS seemed to have higher ping times.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast