Thread: Will Copper be Replaced with Wireless or Fiber?

Feedback Score

Will Copper be Replaced with Wireless or Fiber?

Does anyone know of a rural area where Copper Phone lines have been replaced with full wireless Voice and Data?

Alternatively, is anyone aware of a Rural Area that had their copper replaced with Fiber?

It seems like the reliability of a Fiber Optic cable would be preferable over total wireless, but wireless is definitely making some strides in speed and reliability.
    Last edited by techfranz; 07-26-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Augmented by may be more appropriate. Phone companies have a tremendous investment in copper, which has the advantage of being able to carry a small DC current to power phones independent of other power sources. Fiber will be included in any new installations and/or strung alongside existing copper. Eventually FTTP will be extended to rural areas but ITMT copper will remain the last mile.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Does anyone know of a rural area where Copper Phone lines have been replaced with full wireless Voice and Data?
    Not rural, but after hurricane Sandy there was somewhere in NY (Fire Island?) where Verizon tried to not replace the destroyed copper service by providing wireless home service. The customers were not happy about that. I don't recall how it turned out.

Alternatively, is anyone aware of a Rural Area that had their copper replaced with Fiber?

I know of one rural subdivision that around 2005 was cabled with FIOS rather than copper.

I am on the rural fringe of suburbia. They have run FIOS here. They are forcing us to switch to FIOS if we have a problem with our copper service. So far I have managed to get them to repair the copper, but they make it very difficult. The copper hardware is rotting and being allowed to rot. I have mild hum on the line, but will put up with it until they force me to FIOS. My copper service is probably only good until the next time I have an outage.

I have cable for TV and Internet. I could switch to cable VOIP, but the cable is no where near as reliable as copper POTS, and my cell signal is not reliable enough to be a suitable backup.

It seems like the reliability of a Fiber Optic cable would be preferable over total wireless, but wireless is definitely making some strides in sped an reliability.[/QUOTE]

Total wireless, majority wireless, or even halfsies, wireless will not happen with the current spectrum and LTE. There is not enough bandwidth there. Cabled service, fiber or copper, will continue to service the masses for the foreseeable future. 5G will begin to fill in or compete in some areas for fixed wireless rather than expensive cable runs to each neighborhood and building.

5G is not going to be just like a faster 4G to our phones and hotspots as we currently use them in most areas. It requires many more cells and the frequencies used do not penetrate buildings. It will take a while for the market to sort out what is feasible and profitable.

JMHO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Eventually FTTP will be extended to rural areas but ITMT copper will remain the last mile.
    If the last mile is copper, what is the theoretical maximum upload and download speed? Are Fiber like speeds possible with copper as the last mile?

Feedback Score

It seems like the reliability of a Fiber Optic cable would be preferable over total wireless, but wireless is definitely making some strides in speed and reliability.
    I know some areas where people are using VoLTE and that is definately provided using fiber cables..

Feedback Score
    If the last mile is copper, what is the theoretical maximum upload and download speed? Are Fiber like speeds possible with copper as the last mile?
    I dont think so.. Thats the difference between an electron and a photon and photon always wins..

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezabell View Post
    I know some areas where people are using VoLTE and that is definately provided using fiber cables..
    Maybe you mean VoIP? VoLTE is a wireless technology, nothing to do with fiber.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezabell View Post
    I dont think so.. Thats the difference between an electron and a photon and photon always wins..
    If you are close enough yes you can get fiber like speeds. I can be serviced by CenturyLink which does FTTN to my house and we can get 100 mbps which is the same speed I am paying google fiber for. But this means I am really close to the DSLAM (within 1000ft). G.fast is also coming out which provides up to something like 400 mbps over copper but again is very limited to distance. Only useful to places like apartments or lucky residences (like me) that are super close to the node.

If we are talking about last mile then most likely your speeds are crap and fiber is unlikely to be put in because of cost. Google fiber has slowed down deployment by a lot. "Last mile" is a long distance and depends on how far you actually are.