Page 188 of 188 FirstFirst ... 88 138 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
Results 2,806 to 2,816 of 2816

Thread: Boom Mobile (vzw)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    You don't need a carrier branded device. I have a Nexus 6P and visual voicemail VoLTE work fine.

Pretty much any unlocked device that works on Verizon and has these features should work with boom. However, there appears to be an issue with Samsung unlocked devices for whatever reason...

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Understand that now, as I noted. The thing is, 6p is too big for me; 5.2 display like on my HTC 10 is as big a phone as I ever want to have, but if they keep making 'em bigger at some point I'll have to adapt. Pixel too pricey for me, I'll never spend more than $350 willingly on a phone.

I did look at Moto G5 Plus unlocked, but didn't go there because they were having serious issues on VZW network, which now appear to have been resolved with a firmware update.

Homework also showed that unlocked phones like the LG G6 are requiring "activate the SIM on a branded phone and then put it in the unlocked phone" trick, and honestly I'm just too lazy to go there. I'm a control freak who at the same time likes things to work out of the box without any added effort. Plus LG's quality issues scared me off.

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    I'm with e.mote, unless the VoLTE/HD is working, then to me it's a problematic situation.
    CDMA voice if fine for me and my device supports LTE data simultanious with CDMA voice.

I had HD voice with Verizon, but u don't miss it.

I'm not seeing evidence that the unlocked LG and Moto phones will get VoLTE/HD on MVNOs
    I'm not seeing evidence they don't either.

In fact, I seldom see LG's phone (Gx/Vxx) mentioned here (or TF threads).

Hell will freeze over 10 times before I ever sign a contract with anybody again.
    No contract required for the big carriers now. No ned to even use their payment plans for phoned.

I left Verizon due to cost. It was the cheapest for my needs for a while, then MVNOs caught up. The extras offered by Verizon (HD voice, VVM, cloud storage) weren't​ worth the extra cost.

Boom looks to be tbe VoLTE guinea pig for Verizon. But in a year or two it'll be the norm, just like LTE data is now.

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    Homework also showed that unlocked phones like the LG G6 are requiring "activate the SIM on a branded phone and then put it in the unlocked phone" trick
    As far as I've seen that was early on. Verizon is just slow adding them to the database. Withing a few weeks those problem​ get cleared up.

The Moto G5+ was that way, buy when I activated one a few months later it was fine.
    That's happened with many devices. Maybe Verizon will get it's act together some day.

The Moto G5+ worked fine, but VoLTE was noisy. Functioned dine. That was directed with a firmware up date.

As to LG quality, they had 3 problem devices (G3, G4, V10). No similar problems since (G5, G6, V20, V30) Though people keep bringing up the G4/V10 issues like they apply to the newer devices.

Samsung recalled/bricked the whole Note 7 line over battery issues. Will you not buy Samsung now because of that?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBrent View Post
    The G6 that I currently use is the US997 model which is normally an international device I believe has Amazon firmware on it
    The US997 is a US model not international.
    It's the carrier unlocked version. There's another model for international users (H870?)

The Amazon​ Prime edition is recent, getting ads for a lower price. But it uses special software and the bootloader can't be unlocked for custom ROMs (same as with other Prime version if phones) since that would allow you to remove the ads.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 11-10-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Motorola has many carrier independent and unlocked devices that will work on Boom Mobile, so as mentioned there are also unlocked "international" versions of phones- ie they are designed for use on a specific carrier or service in the USA and they will unlock or come already unlocked ONLY for use outside the USA when travelling or a request after usage for a specific timeframe on the carrier or MVNO.

Also some devices- like the Apple iPhones that are sold by Verizon for use on PREPAID service- have to be actually have had a card from their prepaid side purchased and then they will allow the phone to be unlocked and used on another Verizon tower based company (or even Verizon post paid too must do this)....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    as mentioned there are also unlocked "international" versions of phones- ie they are designed for use on a specific carrier or service in the USA and they will unlock or come already unlocked ONLY for use outside the USA when travelling or a request after usage for a specific timeframe on the carrier or MVNO.
    The unlocked LG G5 (RS988), V20 (US996), G6 (US997) and V30 (US998) are not international phones. They are models for the USA. They have other models for international markets.

Motorola dies similar. The Moto G5 plus XT1687 is the us model and works on all US carriers. The XT1684 and XT1685 are international versions. Only the XT1687 has CDMA bands and US LTE bands 2, 4, 12, and 13.

Same with the Samsung unlocked S7, S8, S8+, and Note8. Again, there are other models for nob-US markets.

Feedback Score
    You don't need a carrier branded device. I have a Nexus 6P and visual voicemail VoLTE work fine.
    Since you have a 6P let me ask a dumb question. How do you know when VoLTE is working?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just wanted to let people know that Straight Talk(Tracfone/Carlos slim company) has a new unlimited plan.

- $55 Unlimited Talk, Text, Data(32GB of high speed and then subjected to throttling during network congestion time's)
    - BYOD Eligible
    - Not as great customer service as Boom

I remember having Boom mobile and while CS was good, they signed me up for 3 AT&T business lines when I only bought 1 and they never fixed that but were helpful when I pointed it out and fought the charges.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Acee View Post
    Since you have a 6P let me ask a dumb question. How do you know when VoLTE is working?
    When you make a call and still retain LTE data.

Also when calling others that have VoLTE enabled on VZW or AT&T and seeing a HD logo.

Feedback Score
    My Moto G4 Play XT1607 worked fine on Boom, minus the VoLTE. I think it has the bands that "could" make it work IF Verizon allowed it to do so. I'm on Selectel mainly because I need local roaming where I live. That's more important to me than VoLTE. Boom and Selectel both had/have me on VZWINTERNET for APN.

I have a TMobile SIM I've been testing off and on for service in my area. Using that SIM gives me settings that I believe could give me VoLTE but the service isn't solid enough to allow further testing. So it seems logical that my phone is capable with its current bands and it has many! Nougat was supposed to possibly allow VoLTE but it never materialized.

I was treated fine by Boom. Now that changes in APN are going on, it makes me glad I went back to Selectel so that I have solid service, albeit without VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    When you make a call and still retain LTE data.

Also when calling others that have VoLTE enabled on VZW or AT&T and seeing a HD logo.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Page 188 of 188 FirstFirst ... 88 138 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188