Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mobilicity - Chatr Roaming

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_kool View Post

Just a quick update... Across rural New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and now here in Halifax, Nova Scotia data works...

I did not add any My Wallet credit. Shows "CDN Roaming", but no roaming indicator (R).

I cannot phone or receive calls, but I have data everywhere in the country!!!

👍😀

Sent from my ONE A2005 using HoFo mobile app
    Cool update thanks!
    Can you text for free as well?

Sent from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 PRO using HoFo mobile app
    Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS? I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I never tried SMS because I usually use WhatsApp and Messenger only haha... But I tested it, and SMS also works here in Nova Scotia. So we get free data and SMS roaming, but not calling...

Pretty good, so I really hope Rogers keeps it this way!

Feedback Score
    I am not sure if you guy are aware of it or not. But last few days I sent international texts for free. My plan is only for North American text.

Sent from my SM-G386W using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morris View Post
    Can anything seriously be done about the impending loss of the roaming indicator? Like are there any steps we can take to complain to regulators about this devious plan that Rogers has? Because I personally think that this is a despicable business practice and can start a dangerous precedent for carriers to cash in on consumers if it proves lucrative enough.
    I'm quite surprised no one else is on Chatr's case for this too... this is the first network I've been with that does not let users know if they're roaming or not. We have to manually check if we're in zone or not every single time and everywhere?? What about people living/working by the zone borders? Or we don't remember all the zones across Canada off the top of our heads? How do we even check if we're roaming or not right before picking up a call? How do we automatically limit data usage while roaming if we're driving across towns?

It looks like the idea is for them to ding us whenever they can and they haven't been bringing in enough roaming charges... better charge them roaming when they don't even know they are roaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aleunge View Post
    I'm quite surprised no one else is on Chatr's case for this too... this is the first network I've been with that does not let users know if they're roaming or not. We have to manually check if we're in zone or not every single time and everywhere?? What about people living/working by the zone borders? Or we don't remember all the zones across Canada off the top of our heads? How do we even check if we're roaming or not right before picking up a call? How do we automatically limit data usage while roaming if we're driving across towns?

It looks like the idea is for them to ding us whenever they can and they haven't been bringing in enough roaming charges... better charge them roaming when they don't even know they are roaming.
    Zone size has doubled for me, I'm OK with it. You can take a smaller zone and have your "R".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote73 View Post
    Zone size has doubled for me, I'm OK with it. You can take a smaller zone and have your "R".

Unfortunately, that's not an option even if you wanted it.

And you do know that all carriers has been increasing and improving home coverage without hiding the roaming areas right? Or do you prefer more hidden charges every time they expand the network? So, yes, you can have your hidden roaming charges. I prefer constantly improving coverage with legit and common industry roaming distinctions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aleunge View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not an option even if you wanted it.

And you do know that all carriers has been increasing and improving home coverage without hiding the roaming areas right? Or do you prefer more hidden charges every time they expand the network? So, yes, you can have your hidden roaming charges. I prefer constantly improving coverage with legit and common industry roaming distinctions.
    I'm paying $25/month for 6gb unlimited. I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    I'm paying $25/month for 6gb unlimited. I'm happy.

Yeah, true. That is a hard to beat bargain and I'm mostly happy about it too. It's just the change to no indicators applies to all Chatr customers, not just people who migrated from Mobi. Doesn't seem like a customer oriented decision but more of a purely roaming charge grabbing tactic. It'll be next to impossible for us to keep tabs... can't imagine what it'll be like for the less tech savvy/much older peeps.

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/CM13
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

There's no reason for Chatr to eliminate the roaming indicator, regardless of any expansion of home areas. As others have noted, it creates a situation where users have no real control over their roaming costs. You can't even use a rooted device and set a firewall to block roaming data because of the lack of a roaming indicator.

Sent from my mobile

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Well, I have taken it out-of-zone, and they don't have the roaming indicator to enable automatic data disconnection, but they do send you an SMS to inform you that you are using services out of zone and PPU now applies.

In theory, if you quickly read the SMS and manually disable data, you only spend a few minutes wasting credit on inadvertent data roaming.

Not great, but better than nothing I guess
    Looking forward to Wind LTE!

I can't wait for this to be the norm on wireless!

Feedback Score
    Well, I have taken it out-of-zone, and they don't have the roaming indicator to enable automatic data disconnection, but they do send you an SMS to inform you that you are using services out of zone and PPU now applies.

In theory, if you quickly read the SMS and manually disable data, you only spend a few minutes wasting credit on inadvertent data roaming.

Not great, but better than nothing I guess
    Good to know, but almost the same as nothing to me... that's actually still really terrible and not helpful. Not only are the SMS messages not a guarantee/dependable and you're officially suppose to dial that *#555# number to really know, it doesn't tell you when you're back in coverage and like you said, you still do not have complete control over your own roaming data and costs.

There's absolutely no reason for Chatr to do this except to get you on roaming charges while you unknowingly roamed. It's the only way they can get around the auto disabling of roaming data and roaming indication on all phones. I imagine a lot more people would call them out for this if all the carriers started doing the same, and not just Rogers testing it on their small group of Chatr users.

I applaud the business exec sitting there thinking of ways to charge more and came up with this innovative scheme though.

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score
    I can see roaming indicator on the subway))

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Add a contact.
    Name: "Zone Check"
    Number: *#555#

Contact settings.
    'Place on Home screen'

tap, tap
    You know.

--
    Well, I have taken it out-of-zone... they do send you an SMS to inform you that you are using services out of zone and PPU now applies.

Carrier(s)
    ChatR (formerly Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    If Rogers' billing system knows when you are are roaming or not (in order to charge roaming fees) then they can link the system to notify you.

Either they lack the technological expertise to implement this OR are intentionally crippling their service to overbill people. As someone who works in the IT field myself, I'd be embarassed to work for Rogers/Fido/ChatR in either scenario.

"We don't know how to turn on a roaming indicator" or "we're hiding information from you so we can bill you".

For shame.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    The 'R' roaming indicator is not something scripted.

It's automatically generated when the device MNC does not match the tower MNC

With artificial roaming we can't depend on the MNC mismatch to trigger the indicator.
    We are always on the native network.

We wouldn't get the cheap rates and data without the zones and artificial roaming.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast