Thread: Mobilicity vs. Public Mobile

Feedback Score

Mobilicity vs. Public Mobile

Just food for thought.

I am a long time Mobi customer and thrilled to see my old line rate is being grandfathered by Rogers with the transition to Chatr.

I had also activated another line recently at $35 per month with 2GB 3G data. But I wanted to point out to others who may have similar plan, that Public Mobile also introduced new price tiers this week which seems far better. Essentially, you'll get 2GB LTE data on a Canada wide network (not just local zones like on Chatr) for $38 per month. So I will be moving one of my current Mobi lines to the Public Mobile plan instead. Thought I'd pass this one in case others are trying to compare and contrast the new Chatr offers with others.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Public is a far better option IF you do not use as much data
    For the 6GB to 20GB crowd Chatr/Mobi is way to go

If you plan on lighter data (esp around that 2GB sweet spot) I would say jump on Public in a heartbeat

Oh plus Public gives tenure rewards (reduce cost every year) autopay rewards (less per month with pre auth pay) and referral rewards (new system is more like Koodo where both people get a credit now)
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Looked at the Public Mobile offerings and they have a Canada wide + US calling package, add 6Gb of LTE data and no zone restrictions for $50/month.

That's only $10 more than the Mobi Canada/US calling package with 6Gb of 3G data. This is tempting but then I have to deal with Telus. =(

edit: I misread the data offer as it is 6Gb/90 days which isn't comparing apples to apples.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900, Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Wind, Three, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I ported to public. Data is good and call quality is very clear. For some reason Rogers network always has this voice quality quirk where every 4th call connects but sound quality is distorted

I ported out because mobilicity data was unusable. I have friend in Chatr 3mb plan and it's much more consistent than mobilicity. So I'm thinking of going back to mobilicity for a short whike
    Robellus - The Future is Greedy

Device(s)
    Nokia N900, Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Wind, Three, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I now wish I hadn't ported out in the first place as I had the 20gb plan and the $ 50 20gb is what people were offered

Feedback Score
    Yeah you should have stayed mobilicity patience is key. Especially when chatr offers are very fair.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fido2004 View Post
    I now wish I hadn't ported out in the first place as I had the 20gb plan and the $ 50 20gb is what people were offered
    It's a hassle... I have the 20gb plan with mobi, but was not offered the $50 for 20gb plan. I emailed to no avail, and will now have to call.
    Looking forward to Wind LTE!

I can't wait for this to be the norm on wireless!

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Stop calling the data speed that is being offered 3G. They say it's capped at 3mbps which means they're only giving you 1/5 3G data if you use the theoretical max of 14.4.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Chatrlicity:
    $30 Unlimited NAM , $30 Unlimited Province Wide

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    Stop calling the data speed that is being offered 3G. They say it's capped at 3mbps which means they're only giving you 1/5 3G data if you use the theoretical max of 14.4.
    Technically, 3G = peak speeds of 3.1 Mbps when drafted so Rogers is correct in advertising as 3G. The 14.4 Mbps you refer to is part of the 3.5G HSPA+ model. 3.5G and 3.75G refer to HSPA/+ ranges above 7.2 Mbps and up to 42 Mbps, the latter speed some even advertise as "4G" but that's another story.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just got a few phone calls and two of them the caller said they couldn't hear me, and my data sucks. But that is life with Mobi right now.

Just ordered a PM sim to test out their reception where I live, since I had issues with Telus cell coverage many years ago. If the call quality is clear I plan to port out and pass on the Chatr offering now that I have another US calling option provider.