Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any reason to hold off on accepting offer?

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

Any reason to hold off on accepting offer?

One outstanding issue...

I tried to read the new Terms of Service for Chatr, but I'm not a lawyer. Is there anyone out there who is, or is more versed in consumer rights who can shed some light here?

Is there any reason we should hold out and not accept the offer provided by Chatr if we are [mostly] satisfied with the offer provided?

I think I'm ready to accept mine, now that the 20gb issue has been resolved. I don't like the idea of losing the roaming indicator though. Would waiting help with that or any other issue, or would it do nothing other than increase the risk I have of losing the offered plan?

Any ideas?
    Looking forward to Wind LTE!

I can't wait for this to be the norm on wireless!

Device(s)
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    I believe, they will move you automatically some time in September.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid mini
    Carrier(s)
    Rogerlicity
    Feedback Score
    My guess ....
    Text will be sent the closer you get to the deadline to switch over or lose the option of your new plan/ automatically putting you
    on one of chatrs regular plans if you go past the deadline.

who wants to play a game of chicken with Rogers ?
    Mobilicity $15.00 Promo plan + $5.00 increase under rogers ownership.

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    The only concern I have right now is that Chatr doesn't allow your phone to use the Personal Hotspot feature. My girlfriend is on Chatr's $25 province-wide plan with the $15 for 1 GB add-on. I tried to use my computer at her place, but a hotspot from her phone didn't work at all. Whenever I use my Mobilicity phone, personal hotspot works great.

Maybe Personal Hotspot would work with Chatr's new $40 Unlimited Data plan. I don't know.

Personal Hotspot is important to me for my computer and tablet. I hope we still get to keep it when we're moved to Chatr.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    The only concern I have right now is that Chatr doesn't allow your phone to use the Personal Hotspot feature. My girlfriend is on Chatr's $25 province-wide plan with the $15 for 1 GB add-on. I tried to use my computer at her place, but a hotspot from her phone didn't work at all. Whenever I use my Mobilicity phone, personal hotspot works great.

Maybe Personal Hotspot would work with Chatr's new $40 Unlimited Data plan. I don't know.

Personal Hotspot is important to me for my computer and tablet. I hope we still get to keep it when we're moved to Chatr.
    I believe it is a problem with configuration of your girlfriend's phone.

Chatr says tethering is permitted, but they won't provide support: https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/content/faq/data_services#chatr-data-plan-for-tethering

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link on tethering.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with Virgin Mobile and her phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5. The settings app is basically identical between the two phones. I'll have to check her phone again.

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So I'm at my girlfriend's place now and tethering does NOT work.

I turned on "Mobile hotspot" on her Samsung Galaxy S5. I first tried my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (connected to her Wi-Fi and entered the password). Her phone said that 1 device was connected and my phone said that I was connected to her. Everything looked as it should. But whenever I tried using Samsung's Internet browser, my library app, or a network app to check network connectivity, there was absolutely no Internet through her phone. When I turned off Wi-Fi, everything that failed earlier worked perfectly on the Virgin Mobile LTE network.

I tried the same test with my iPhone SE that's on Mobilicity. I connected to her phone which said one device was connected and the iPhone said I was connected to her. Again, everything looked as it should. But my iPhone had absolutely no Internet. I turned Wi-Fi off and everything worked fine on Mobilicity.

I even connected both my Note 4 and iPhone SE and her phone said two devices were connected. Both phones showed up on her device list. But neither my Note 4 nor my iPhone SE had any Internet.

Almost daily either my Note 4 (Virgin Mobile) or iPhone SE (Mobilicity) is a mobile hotspot for my computer or tablet so I know what I'm doing.

So her Chatr 1 GB add-on won't share data once connected, and Chatr's website says they don't provide support for this (although it should work).

This really worries me if this is what we can expect when we move to Chatr.

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Can I use my chatr device and chatr data add-on for tethering?

Yes, but at this time we do not recommend or supply technical support for tethering with your device, due to the large amount of data usage while using this feature. chatr data add-ons are designed for emailing, surfing the web, instant messages and keeping you socially connected on-the-go.
    Hmmm. Chatr says tethering should work, but they don't recommend it. They're basically saying a Chatr data add-on is only for light data use while you're on the go -- that is, just for use on your phone.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Hmm...

You can verify the phone has the correct APN and proxy settings (from the Chatr site):
    APN: chatrweb.apn
    Proxy: 205.151.11.11
    Port: 8080

If this doesn't fix it, try swapping the Chatr SIM into another device and making that device a Chatr hotspot. If the same thing persists, this could be a bigger issue that may affect us all when we are transferred to Chatr.

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    @canadian_kool, that fixed it!!

She bought her phone from Rogers back in October and switched to Chatr in November. Her APN now was still "Rogers LTE". I added a new APN for Chatr with your settings (and Chatr's FAQ site also says MMS URL is http://mms.chatrwireless.com so I added that too). Now both my Note 4 and iPhone SE get Internet from her phone just fine.

Now I feel a lot better about switching to Chatr!

Thank you so much.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    @canadian_kool, that fixed it!!

She bought her phone from Rogers back in October and switched to Chatr in November. Her APN now was still "Rogers LTE". I added a new APN for Chatr with your settings (and Chatr's FAQ site also says MMS URL is http://mms.chatrwireless.com so I added that too). Now both my Note 4 and iPhone SE get Internet from her phone just fine.

Now I feel a lot better about switching to Chatr!

Thank you so much.
    No problem! Glad I could help!

Can I ask you to check something else please? We know Chatr will throttle our speed to 3mbps, but they didn't specify if the phones are restricted to HSPA or if they will connect to a throttled LTE. I saw conflicting information in the Chatr subforum, so perhaps you can verify on your girlfriend's phone.

To check the network type on Android, dial *#*#4636#*#*, then tap "Phone information". By "Network type", can you see "LTE"?

Also, if you have run a speed test on it, what is ping like? And do speeds ever drop to 0?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_kool View Post

Can I ask you to check something else please? We know Chatr will throttle our speed to 3mbps, but they didn't specify if the phones are restricted to HSPA or if they will connect to a throttled LTE. I saw conflicting information in the Chatr subforum, so perhaps you can verify on your girlfriend's phone.

To check the network type on Android, dial *#*#4636#*#*, then tap "Phone information". By "Network type", can you see "LTE"?

Also, if you have run a speed test on it, what is ping like? And do speeds ever drop to 0?

Thanks!
    They say everywhere "3G"..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_kool View Post

Thanks!
    I dialed *#*#4636#*#* a number of times on her Chatr phone, but I'm always told the number is blocked! I tried on my Note 4 with Virgin Mobile and I'm always told "The number cannot be completed as dialed" while the display says invalid number.

I know when she was with Rogers her phone always showed LTE, but with Chatr it always shows 4G. Under Settings, About device, Status, Mobile network type it shows "UMTS". In comparison, my Virgin Mobile Note 4 shows "LTE". Does that help?

I know when I run the Speedtest app on Virgin Mobile, I can use about 200 MB. Her Chatr billing date is the 1st of every month and her phone says her data usage for the past 5 days is 100 MB. If I take another 200 MB now, she's not going to be happy at all. (She only has 1 GB for the entire month with an overage charge of 5 cents per MB. 0.05 * 200 = $10).

I ran IP Tools ("A nice little tool for basic network tasks like ping and traceroute!") on her Chatr phone and the third run of ten pings to www.google.ca was 325.00 ms. The same test on my Virgin Mobile LTE was 66.76 ms.

She's been really happy with Chatr. Only once she complained and she's not the type to complain about anything. She got home around 9:30 pm (Monday, June 27) and said that during some of her bus ride from the Kennedy subway station (in Scarborough) to eastern Scarborough her Internet was horrible.

She has Chatr's $15 for 1 GB add-on. I don't know how similar that is to the Chatr Unlimited Data plan that's capped at 3 Mbps.

Feedback Score
    I dialed *#*#4636#*#* a number of times on her Chatr phone, but I'm always told the number is blocked! I tried on my Note 4 with Virgin Mobile and I'm always told "The number cannot be completed as dialed" while the display says invalid number.
    The call/dial/send/green button shouldn't be pressed. The hidden menu, if accessible, comes up immediately after the last character of the code is pressed. Also, that code does not work on all Android-based phones.

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by computergeek541 View Post
    The call/dial/send/green button shouldn't be pressed. The hidden menu, if accessible, comes up immediately after the last character of the code is pressed. Also, that code does not work on all Android-based phones.
    If I just type *#*#4636#*#* nothing at all happens on her Samsung S5 Chatr phone. Same thing with my Virgin Mobile Samsung Note 4.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast