Thread: AC791L 5GHz range is poor...

Feedback Score

AC791L 5GHz range is poor...

Before I RMA this device, has anyone experienced similar results? I've owned a variety of MiFi devices throughout the years, some dual banded like this one, and have never experienced such poor range from the 5GHz side.

No matter what the power setting, the signal and connected data rate starts dropping after about a foot or two away from my device. At 6-10 feet it drastically drops, and beyond that it's virtually unusable...The mere fact that I don't notice any difference between power levels indicates a hardware/firmware issue anyway.

I understand that lower power means longer battery life, but there are often times where I'd like to get a decent signal within a hotel room while traveling.

Any observations on this?
    Last edited by n0xlf; 08-07-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n0xlf View Post
    The mere fact that I don't notice any difference between power levels
    Quite late on this, but have you determined if the hardware is Saiyan? Perhaps you could bring it near death and it will have a higher power level?

Jokes aside (if you get the reference), it does appear to be a faulty device, however is there really much to noticeably gain in 5ghz WiFi compared to 2.4ghz? For most applications, anyways..

Also, it was quite amusing to see you joined in 2005 and this was your first post.

Feedback Score
    I'm like the ultimate lurker

I'm looking at getting it replaced now...

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The modern mobile hotspots have pretty weak WiFi. I think the design emphasis is 100% centered around battery life. Lower dBm on the WiFi AP definitely helps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    The modern mobile hotspots have pretty weak WiFi. I think the design emphasis is 100% centered around battery life. Lower dBm on the WiFi AP definitely helps.
    I think that's probably true - Was just hoping to find someone else with one of these that could confirm it. I'm sure their assumption is that 99% of people use their device(s) within a few feet of it at the coffee shop/etc. and not necessarily try to cover a hotel room with it...