Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Data Roaming Indicator Issue

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

Data Roaming Indicator Issue

I think we should work on Chatr to deal with the Roaming indicator issue...

As much as Rogers has a poor reputation, they so far, are really handling this transition to Chatr in a reasonably fair way from a customer perspective.

What they have done:
    • Preserved monthly rate plan features
    • Kept prices to minor increases, exactly the same, or in some cases, even lowered them
    • Listened to our complaints about the 20GB data add-on, and gave it to us
    • It now appears people who had the 30 min North American roaming bundle are seeing this in their offer

From my deductions, Rogers is removing the roaming indicator for one of two reasons:
    1. Rogers wants to cause inadvertent roaming to empty the credit in our accounts
    2. Rogers plans to do away with the zones soon

Based on the relatively good treatment they are giving us, I'm leaning towards thinking soon the zones will be Canada-wide. As far as I can remember, they did the same with Fido after some time, and it makes sense for them to better align Chatr to compete with TELUS/Public Mobile, perhaps with less speed, but with a national network. In this case, Chatr's competitive edge is "true" [throttled] unlimited, and Public has LTE but hard caps.

But... In the case that this is not the plan, we should lobby for them keeping the roaming indicator.

We have successfully contacted Mobi/Rogers and gotten the 20GB data add-on issue resolved, and now the 30 mins roaming talk add-on issue resolved, so perhaps we can get the roaming indicator issue resolved.

I'm thinking of sending an email with some calculations of how much background data would drain our $10 credit, and how much minimal roaming would cause a service disruption.

Something like this:

Out-of-zone data costs $0.05/mb, so you get 200mb for $10. Pokemon GO .apk file is 61mb, Snapchat is 72mb, Chrome is 59mb, and Facebook Messenger is 47mb. If these 4 apps updated automatically when inadvertently roaming, this would use 239mb - the entire $10 bonus credit and some more would be lost.

Let's look at a situation that could cause a customer to have no service - despite being on automatic billing... If a customer on automatic top-up has their $50 to cover their $50 plan fee deposited a few days before their billing due date, then they inadvertently leave the zone with this credit on their account, the phone would not know this and could begin to roam. At $0.05/mb, the $50 top-up would be completely gone with 1gb of data, but this much usage is not necessary to cause a service disruption...

If even 10mb of data ($0.50) is used, the plan payment cannot be made, if the automatic top-up of $50 is applied to the account, and the $0.50 of data roaming is removed, the account then only has $49.50 available and on the anniversary date, the phone goes inactive for non-payment.

Since we cannot have the operating system stop data at the edge of the arbitrary zone boundary, if no change is given to the operating system for it to know that it has left a data zone, how does Rogers ensure a good customer who pays on time does not have a service disruption over a few mb of accidental roaming data?

But I'm not sure who should get this email... Mobilicity support? Chatr? Rogers customer service? Rogers Ombudsman?

Thoughts?
    Looking forward to Wind LTE!

I can't wait for this to be the norm on wireless!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv and Z30
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_kool View Post
    But I'm not sure who should get this email... Mobilicity support? Chatr? Rogers customer service? Rogers Ombudsman?
    Definitely not Mobilicity. Last time I asked them anything beyond a basic question about the migration, they told me to contact Chatr directly.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I think I'll work my way up the chain. First, Mobi support, then Chatr, then Rogers, then Ombudsman, then CEO's office.

I think that my question is legitimate, and deserves an answer:

"how does Rogers ensure a good customer who pays on time does not have a service disruption over a few mb of accidental roaming data?"

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I emailed mobilicity and got no where. I ported to public mobile since their data is super fast, actually usable and no zoning issues.
    I really hope others will have better luck than me. I didn't have the patience and public mobile's new plan seemed to better fit my needs.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Did anyone get an answer about the roaming indicator and possible inadvertent data usage?

Especially, how to avoid the situation that you top up exactly your billing amount, then you inadvertently use a few MB and are now just short of your bill, and then have service suspended

I talked to Chatr and they told me to be proactive about disabling data, so I explained how this still doesn't prevent inadvertent roaming , and they said they would pass on my feedback = did nothing.

I filled out the Rogers "Share a Concern" form, [https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.po...act-ombudsman] that is linked to on the Mobi support page, but still have gotten no answer.

Anyone get anything about data roaming?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv and Z30
    Feedback Score
    ^ I may be overly cynical, but did you seriously expect a straight and useful answer from these guys?

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Minor Domo View Post
    ^ I may be overly cynical, but did you seriously expect a straight and useful answer from these guys?
    Kind of, to be honest. It is a very legitimate question... I summarized the whole thing with a one-liner:

"How do you ensure that a good customer who is on automatic billing does not have a service disruption because of inadvertent data roaming?"

Service disruption is a pretty serious issue for a telco, so I would hope I get a serious answer.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv and Z30
    Feedback Score
    Kind of, to be honest. It is a very legitimate question... I summarized the whole thing with a one-liner:

"How do you ensure that a good customer who is on automatic billing does not have a service disruption because of inadvertent data roaming?"

Service disruption is a pretty serious issue for a telco, so I would hope I get a serious answer.
    I guess you're a "glass half full" type of guy, and I'm a "glass half empty" sort :P

I agree it's a legit question, but my expectations for the telcos are pretty low.

Also, I figure that if they really had a good answer for this, why wouldn't they have said something already?

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G, Blackberry Bold, Samsung Galaxy Core LTE, Moto G, Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Zoomer Wireless (Cityfone), Mobilicity, Speakout
    Feedback Score
    I called Chatr to ask how can I avoid pay roaming charges under Chatr prepaid service.

- I was told Chatr is a prepaid service.
    - The per-authorize payment from credit card is only for the monthly feee. Chatr takes money out of my credit card on my anniversary date 3am in the morning and go straight to pay my monthly fees.
    - I need to call Chatr to add money for the roaming charge. I was assured that they are separate sub-accounts under my account.
    - When I asked what is the name of the sub-account holding the money for the reaming charge. The CSR does not know.

YMMV as this is verbal explanation. It will be my words against their words if it is different later on.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobilicity;
    Mobilicity: Your roaming notification will disappear on your device screen as of September 20, 2016 when you are out of zone. This is the message that reads "CDN Roaming" or "T-Mobile". Remember, you are subject to pay-per-use rates when using your mobile out of zone.
    So, I just got the above message. It appears that they did not correct their language surrounding the roaming indicator outside of Canada. So they meant it... Our phones will not believe they are roaming now if they connect to networks outside of Canada like T-Mobile.

If we go near the USA border, this could mean one inadvertent email sync on T-Mobile could cost us a month's payment worth of credit...

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    (...)

If we go near the USA border, this could mean one inadvertent email sync on T-Mobile could cost us a month's payment worth of credit...
    I go to Niagara Falls a few times a year. When I'm close to the Falls, should I go into Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data on my iPhone and turn it off to be sure I don't get billed $6 / MB for US roaming?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    I go to Niagara Falls a few times a year. When I'm close to the Falls, should I go into Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data on my iPhone and turn it off to be sure I don't get billed $6 / MB for US roaming?
    But if you don't have money in your roaming account, their system will not let you have data or minutes.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv and Z30
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by embguy View Post
    But if you don't have money in your roaming account, their system will not let you have data or minutes.
    We all automatically get a $10 credit for migrating and then an additional $10 per month for 8 months for signing up for credit card autopay.

Which is nice, until it accidentally gets blown by accidental roaming.

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score

Data Roaming Indicator Issue

Quote Originally Posted by embguy View Post
    Are you sure about that? That disagrees with what is written on the MyChatrMove site, on the last page, just before you hit the "Complete" button:

Important information
    Account + My Wallet balances
    Any balance you have in your usage My Wallet will be combined with any prepaid monthly fees and transferred to your chatr wallet. All chatr payments (monthly fees and pay-per-use) will come out from this one simple account.

Update: I am on Auto-Pay, so their statement ...

'All chatr payments (monthly fees and pay-per-use) will come out from this one simple account.'

... makes it sound like all pay-per-use charges are going directly to my credit card.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    Are you sure about that? That disagrees with what is written on the MyChatrMove site, on the last page, just before you hit the "Complete" button:

Important information
    Account + My Wallet balances
    Any balance you have in your usage My Wallet will be combined with any prepaid monthly fees and transferred to your chatr wallet. All chatr payments (monthly fees and pay-per-use) will come out from this one simple account.

Update: I am on Auto-Pay, so their statement ...

'All chatr payments (monthly fees and pay-per-use) will come out from this one simple account.'

... makes it sound like all pay-per-use charges are going directly to my credit card.
    I had the same concern until I call Chatr to ask question as a new customer.
    I was told Chatr is a prepaid service. It is like Mobi, if you do not pay before the billing day, your phone will be dead on the billing day.
    You need to call to add money in order for the roaming to work. The monthly fee account and roaming accounts are separate. But they don't call it roaming account. I was assured that if I do not put money in my roaming account, I will not get a surprise $1000 invoice.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast