Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Data Roaming Indicator Issue

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by embguy View Post
    I had the same concern until I call Chatr to ask question as a new customer.
    I was told Chatr is a prepaid service. It is like Mobi, if you do not pay before the billing day, your phone will be dead on the billing day.
    You need to call to add money in order for the roaming to work. The monthly fee account and roaming accounts are separate. But they don't call it roaming account. I was assured that if I do not put money in my roaming account, I will not get a surprise $1000 invoice.
    Thanks for the info! Good to know I won't get a huge shock the next time I go to Niagara Falls.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_kool View Post
    If we go near the USA border, this could mean one inadvertent email sync on T-Mobile could cost us a month's payment worth of credit...
    No as data is only billed when you exceed your 6GB
    TXT are totally free

The only "issue" is if you receive an incoming call
    When in doubt, call them back as outgoing is free

Not sure why the roaming indicator is such a big deal

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    'All chatr payments (monthly fees and pay-per-use) will come out from this one simple account.'

... makes it sound like all pay-per-use charges are going directly to my credit card.
    This is incorrect
    They do not bill your credit card even if registered for autopay
    Same system every other Chatr user has had for years

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    No as data is only billed when you exceed your 6GB
    TXT are totally free

The only "issue" is if you receive an incoming call
    When in doubt, call them back as outgoing is free

Not sure why the roaming indicator is such a big deal
    Your data limit is plan-specific, but you are never billed within your arbitrary zone, just slowed down to slightly faster than dial-up if you exceed your limit. Outside of the arbitrary zone, you do not get any data at all included in your plan, and every kilobyte is chargeable data from your prepaid credit.

Data is billed at $0.05/mb outside of an arbitrary zone within Canada, and billed at $6/mb if you are connected to a network in the USA.

If you are close to the USA border such as in Niagara Falls, Canada, it is possible that your phone will connect to T-Mobile, and if your phone does not display a roaming indicator, it will think that T-Mobile is the home network. If T-Mobile is the home network to your phone, it will continue to attempt to use data as usual. If you have credit in your Chatr account for occasional incoming calls, it will withdraw that money until it is gone. If you put $30 or so in there for occasional incoming calls, this credit would be gone with 5 megabytes of usage on T-Mobile, or one email sync.

Despite putting more than sufficient credit for out-of-zone incoming calls, suddenly you can no longer use your phone for receiving calls, but you did not actually use this credit - it was an inadvertent a use of your entire credit because of the lack of roaming indicator.

This is the issue.
    Looking forward to Wind LTE!

I can't wait for this to be the norm on wireless!

Feedback Score
    Data is billed at $0.05/mb outside of an arbitrary zone within Canada, and billed at $6/mb if you are connected to a network in the USA.
    So on that note, I asked this question earlier on the forum but had no replies, but for the $25 unlimited province-wide plan with 6GB 3G data, the pay-per-use chart actually shows "n/a" instead of $0.05/min when using data in Canada but outside the local zone. I inquired about this with a Chatr dealer yesterday and they said that it means it's essentially no charge roaming data within Canada?!!

Can anyone else verify this please? This sounds too good to be true. But also doesn't sound like a typo given it's been brought up multiple times on multiple forums (here and RFD) since July.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Priv and Z30
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iphone7 View Post
    So on that note, I asked this question earlier on the forum but had no replies, but for the $25 unlimited province-wide plan with 6GB 3G data, the pay-per-use chart actually shows "n/a" instead of $0.05/min when using data in Canada but outside the local zone. I inquired about this with a Chatr dealer yesterday and they said that it means it's essentially no charge roaming data within Canada?!!

Can anyone else verify this please? This sounds too good to be true. But also doesn't sound like a typo given it's been brought up multiple times on multiple forums (here and RFD) since July.
    No one really knows for sure, although there's been a lot of discussion on this, mostly concentrated in the latter half of the other thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-your-new-plan

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Data Roaming Indicator Issue

Only the cheapest plans say "n/a" for Out-of-Zone Additional Megabytes:

https://mychatrmove.info-mobilicity.ca/secure/ppu/708
    UNLIMITED IN-ZONE TALK, TEXT AND DATA (6 GB AT 3G SPEED)

down to the cheapest

https://mychatrmove.info-mobilicity.ca/secure/ppu/701
    UNLIMITED IN-ZONE TALK AND TEXT.

So, for example, that cheapest In-Zone Talk and Text plan immediately above says "n/a" for both in-zone and out-of-zone additional megabytes. This makes sense because data is not available for a Talk and Text only plan.

So "n/a" must mean "not available" or "not applicable" for the cheapest plans.

All of the more expensive plans
    https://mychatrmove.info-mobilicity.ca/secure/ppu/709
    UNLIMITED IN-ZONE TALK, TEXT AND DATA (6 GB AT 3G SPEED)
    up to
    https://mychatrmove.info-mobilicity.ca/secure/ppu/713
    UNLIMITED IN-ZONE TALK, TEXT AND DATA (20 GB AT 3G SPEED)
    show 5 cents/MB for Out-of-Zone Additional Megabytes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post

So "n/a" must mean "not available" or "not applicable" for the cheapest plans.
    But it says "n/a" for in-zone data too on the $25 plan, which clearly can't mean "not available" since there is data in-zone.

It's so frustrating that Rogers can't use more clear-cut language. It's like they're deliberately doing this to create confusion.

If you look at Chatr's own plans, the wording they use is "included" which is far less vague.

Device(s)
    Note 4, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    But it says "n/a" for in-zone data too on the $25 plan, which clearly can't mean "not available" since there is data in-zone.

It's so frustrating that Rogers can't use more clear-cut language. It's like they're deliberately doing this to create confusion.

If you look at Chatr's own plans, the wording they use is "included" which is far less vague.
    "n/a" for in-zone data that is unlimited but slowed way down after 6 GB (or 2 GB, or 20 GB depending on your plan/offer) has to mean "not applicable" because you can't buy additional megabytes for a plan that is unlimited.

I completely agree with you. Rogers/Chatr wording is horrible. They say North American when they really mean USA. At first, they told me my "Anniversary date" was the "1th of every month". Initial offers talked about "North International"!?!? They seem to have really rushed our move to Chatr.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    If you are close to the USA border such as in Niagara Falls, Canada, it is possible that your phone will connect to T-Mobile, and if your phone does not display a roaming indicator, it will think that T-Mobile is the home network.
    I find this very hard to believe. I can understand how the roaming indicator may not work INSIDE Canada, but I cannot understand how it would work outside of Canada. T-Mobile has a completely different network ID. I'm not sure I would bet money on it, but I am fairly comfortable saying the statement that as of the 20th of September, if I cross into the USA my roaming indicator will show roaming.

I guess we will know for sure very soon. I am certainly open to be proven wrong, but technically speaking I cannot understand how the roaming indicator would not work outside of Canada.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Also, as per the Chatr website:

Will I get a notification when I use data in the US or Internationally?
    Yes. You will receive a notification when you start roaming, whether you have initiated a data session or not, when travelling to the US or internationally. Don’t forget to top-up with extra funds before your trip!
    (http://www.chatrwireless.com/web/con...tion-data-used)

Device(s)
    Oneplus 2, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Wind, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_torch View Post
    I find this very hard to believe.
    I also find it hard to believe, but they specifically said this in regards to T-Mobile. They had over a month to correct this information on their website, and did not, then just it out to us as a text message to confirm there will be no roaming notification on T-Mobile or anywhere.

Mobilicity: Your roaming notification will disappear on your device screen as of September 20, 2016 when you are out of zone. This is the message that reads "CDN Roaming" or "T-Mobile". Remember, you are subject to pay-per-use rates when using your mobile out of zone.
    I hope you're right giving them the benefit of the doubt here. Still doesn't resolve inadvertent usage within Canada, but at least it will for the USA.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G, Blackberry Bold, Samsung Galaxy Core LTE, Moto G, Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Zoomer Wireless (Cityfone), Mobilicity, Speakout
    Feedback Score

I hope you're right giving them the benefit of the doubt here. Still doesn't resolve inadvertent usage within Canada, but at least it will for the USA.
    My plan has 30 roaming minutes per month. I do not put money in the roaming account. I am safe 99% of the time.

If I have money in the roaming account, I will disable wireless data on my phone. Turn the data on when I know I am inside the zones. I know it is a real pain.

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score
    I'm more concerned about Canadian roaming indication. Why it's not possible to keep it?
    We know that it's technically possible cause Mobi is on Robbers network since last fall

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using HoFo mobile app
    Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS? I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score

Sent from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 PRO using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast