Thread: Port Canada number to VOIP with voicemail-to-email.What's cheaper than FreePhoneLine?

Feedback Score

Port Canada number to VOIP with voicemail-to-email.What's cheaper than FreePhoneLine?

My mom has a Fido phone number (in Canada). She is leaving the country and won't need her service anymore. But, she wants to keep the same number.

What we've found so far is FreePhoneLine.ca (hereafter FPL). They charge $20 for porting. What's nice is that they give free voicemail. And this is all my mom needs for now. Let's say my mom's number is now ported to FPL. If someone calls her and she doesn't answer, FPL offers free voicemail-to-email service. She just has to check her gmail to listen to the attached mp3 file.

But if she doesn't place an outgoing call with the FPL app every 90 days, her service will be cut (and maybe she loses the Fido number that she so much desires to retain). So what my mom can do is pay $80 for what FPL call "VOIP Unlock Key". With this Unlock Key, my mom doesn't have to worry about placing outgoing calls with the FPL app. (Just to be clear, she would only make an outgoing call to save her service. Otherwise, she'd use other ways to make phone calls (e.g. Gmail/ Google Hangouts).

So my question is: Is there something cheaper than FPL that allows a Canadian number to be ported? And that charges less than $80 to nullify the risk of losing your VOIP service (phone number)?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by out View Post
    So my question is: Is there something cheaper than FPL that allows a Canadian number to be ported? And that charges less than $80 to nullify the risk of losing your VOIP service (phone number)?
    Take a look at VoIP.ms. I believe it's currently $8.75 to port a Canadian number. Monthly fee for the DID ranges from $0.85 to $1.70 per month. (I pay .85/month) Inbound per minute charge ranges from $0.009 to $0.0125. (I pay .009/minute) They also use 6-second billing and have free voicemail which can be emailed to wherever desired to listen to.

Depending on how many incoming minutes the DID will get and how long your mom plans to keep the number then VoIP.ms could be cheaper.........especially in the short run. And there would be no requirement to make an outgoing call.

VoIP.ms is generally considered one of the better places to "park" a number with minimal use.

Feedback Score
    Thatk you Taoman54, for your reply.

If my mom doesn't answer any call, so that all calls go to voicemail, will voip.ms charge inbound? Or is it only if you pick up?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Thatk you Taoman54, for your reply.

If my mom doesn't answer any call, so that all calls go to voicemail, will voip.ms charge inbound? Or is it only if you pick up?
    If all calls go to voicemail that is "picking up" the phone so yes there will be a charge. But again, with such low rates and 6-second billing (very important for short duration calls) the charges should be mere pennies.

Edit: So I just tested this with my own VoIP.ms account. I made a 41 second call to voicemail. Total cost was 0.0063 cents. So just over half a cent. The vast majority of VoIP providers charge by the full minute instead of using 6-second billing. Six second billing can definitely save you money on short duration calls over time.

Feedback Score
    Voip.ms is a good choice for retaining a phone number. While it does cost, maybe $10/year with a few incoming calls, it is a paid service so very little risk of losing that number compared to a free service or one where you have to remember to do something to keep the account active or risk losing it. The other advantage of going with voip.ms is if your Mom has a smart phone, you can add a voip (SIP) dialer and if she has access to good data or wifi connections she can make calls back to Canada for cheap, $0.005 or 1/2 cent per minute or to the USA for $0.01/minute.

So compared to the $80 for the FPL call "VOIP Unlock Key", you could alternatively have about 8 years of service with voip.ms for the same amount.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post
    Inbound per minute charge ranges from $0.009 to $0.0125. (I pay .009/minute) They also use 6-second billing
    Is the minimum increment six seconds then, or is it one minute?
    In other words, if someone calls you and voicemails for 30 seconds, are you charged just for 36 seconds ($0.0054), or for one minute?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Is the minimum increment six seconds then, or is it one minute?
    In other words, if someone calls you and voicemails for 30 seconds, are you charged just for 36 seconds ($0.0054), or for one minute?
    You would be charged for 36 seconds. Minimum increment is 6 seconds. It does round up but only to the next 6-second block of time. The vast majority of VoIP providers round up to the next minute.

So assuming 99% of potential voicemails will be under 1 minute in length then each call would be less than 1 penny.

Quote Originally Posted by tony49122 View Post
    So compared to the $80 for the FPL call "VOIP Unlock Key", you could alternatively have about 8 years of service with voip.ms for the same amount.
    Exactly.

Feedback Score
    Out,
    Note, even if voip.ms did round up to 1 minute the extra cost is $0.0001 for that call. The rates are so cheap it's not worth worrying in your Mom's case. Maybe if you were a big company and you had millions of calls per year. But then on a million calls, that's $129.60 extra if rounded to a minute versus rounding to the nearest 6 seconds. But yes, voip.ms round up in 6 second increments (1/10 minute).

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    It is my understanding that FPL will not expire your number if you have a balance in your credits.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Chatrlicity:
    $30 Unlimited NAM , $30 Unlimited Province Wide