Thread: Can you use Project Fi SIM in another phone w.o. first activating it in a Nexus phone

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score

Can you use Project Fi SIM in another phone w.o. first activating it in a Nexus phone

In reading threads, here, some people say they can use it in iphones. What I want to know is: can I sign up and get a Fi SIM w.o. ever having a Nexus and use it in any (newer OS 5.0 or higher) Android? I realize I'd be using TM 100% of the time but could still use it overseas.
    I assume all of Fi's features will be built in to a future Android OS update.
    No one I know owns a Nexus.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    6 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text, data. 2G fast data on each line . $120/mo. + taxes. We have had no landline in more than 10 years.

Feedback Score
    Project Fi cannot be activated on anything but the Nexus 6, 6P and 5X. Once activated the sim can be used in many other phones but will only connect to TMobile. And a possible downside is that it is against terms of service to do it and there have been a few reports of people having their account suspended over the issue.

There is no indication at all that Fi will work on phones not designated, and definitely no indication of an Android os update that would bring that functionality.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. We are on TM with 6 lines - all adults. Nobody uses over 1Gb of data a month - and only twice have any of the lines neared 2Gb. We do make use of the intl. roaming ability. Just seems that Fi's plans would be cheaper than the large increase TM is about to impose. However, very few people are going to spend mega $$ to buy a new (relatively obscure) Nexus phone and render their perfectly good Samsung, LG, HTC worthless. (I can see Fi not supporting Apple.

Feedback Score
    With 6 lines you would need 6 accounts with Project Fi as they have no family plan. If you used 1Gb per account each month that would be $180/month plus whatever taxes and fees apply in your state.

So it might not even save you money.

Project Fi's strength is for low data users and as you noted, international data. You can help keep the bill down a bit by using data sims in some phones and using something like Hangouts. I find that a little awkward personally, but it does work.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk