Thread: In search for the perfect modern use J-phone

Carrier(s)
    Orange
    Feedback Score

Question In search for the perfect modern use J-phone

Hey everyone,

I've been watching these forums for a while now and I just can't seem to find the answer.

I'm looking for the flip phone.

I'm hoping for the people who know where to look, what sites to check or people who can do Googling better than I to help me with my search.

Here are my criteria:
    - One of those sweet *** flip phones
    - Android OS
    - 3G capability (EU frequencies so like 2100Mhz should be cool)
    - WiFi is a plus, but, like the SH 06G, I've notice a lot don't even have that.

Might be worth being precise; my goal is to use my iPhone for pictures/music at home while I take my flip phone out with me. It's main use would be Facebook messaging, Line texting, Twitter stalking and Instagram viewing. Is this even possible with the current available 'keitai'?

Thank you very much for your help, this being my first post I'm not too sure if this is the place to ask. Mods...
    Last edited by kontorasuto; 08-30-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    AU by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    Pretty sure this is the right place to ask, though I'm not sure you'll actually find what you're looking for! Nevermind that the forum is quite dead these days..

Here is my answer or well my opinion, as a user of a Smartphone + a Garaho (and Android-based keitai).

The Garaho phones on AU are probably the most flexible since they do WiFi. The Kyocera Gratina 4G has Android 5.1, while the Sharp ones are still on 4.4.

They do not come with the Google Play store, so aside from Line, and side-loading APKs using the adb command (you cannot use a file manager and install apps directly from the phone as that has been blocked), there's not much choice. Some people may have bee nable to install Google Play Services and Store, though I haven't tried. Lacking a touch screen, it's quite a bother to use a lot of the apps, since you must activate the on-screen mouse pointer every time you switch to an ew screen and movie it around and tap to click etc, on the keypad. Only a few apps work well without a touchscreen.

If you are NOT expecting to use many apps, then the phones are cool, but not much more than flipphones that can run Line and a full browser... Like I said though, at least the AU ones are able to use Wifi, both to access Wifi networks and to tether, so that's still more useful compared to the other Garahos from Docomo, Softbank or Y!Mobile.

Patrix

Carrier(s)
    Orange
    Feedback Score
    Yeeeah, as expected, tbh.

Thank you very much for your answer! Maybe someone with a good deal will stumble upon this thread is this long dead forum, who knows.

Device(s)
    SHF31
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the SHF31 and it's working pretty well for me. I have the 3G, it's a flip phone and it has tethering, but you'd have to find someone else to help you with the wifi thing because i'm not sure how to get it to work, myself.
    Flip Phones Forever~

Device(s)
    Kyocera KYF31 Gratina 4G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I am using the Kyocera Gratina 4G, and have wifi and 3g (at least I'm pretty sure I do, the network frequency bands in the specs line up with T-Mobile) and I HIGHLY recommend it. Got it from KyoEx (the only place I'll ever buy keitais from). Check out pix I posted of it: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6#post16719006

It comes in 4 colors total. Check it out!

Carrier(s)
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    It seems like there will be at least one new Android based flip phone from docomo. They'll introduce their winter line up on Wednesday.

Device(s)
    SHF31
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    TBH I don't have a lot of faith in Docomo. So i dont advise hold you breath on that account.

Carrier(s)
    NTT docomo / Telekom.de
    Feedback Score
    Faith is not required. Just reading some news:

http://a.excite.co.jp/News/it_g/2016...zap_39181.html

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by squeenix View Post
    It seems like there will be at least one new Android based flip phone from docomo. They'll introduce their winter line up on Wednesday.
    These are them: https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/2016_doc...omo_collection

I'm also very interested in the possibility of importing one of these Japanese flip phones to use on Verizon.