Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Thread: boom! Mobile

Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    If this is not already a Verizon S8, the problem should be fixed by flashing to the S8 Verizon Rom (or the Unbranded/Unlocked one, but the Verizon ROM is the surest bet).

Any carrier's S8's are now supposed to be able to switch to any other carrier's S8 configuration, automatically when you insert a sim of the new carrier. Most likely this does not quite work when you insert a Boom Rom, and in any case is not as thorough a solution as flashing the full Verizon ROM in this case.

But flashing to the S8 Verizon rom should be highly likely to succeed. It also gives you the fullest support of all Verizon features.

XDA has details of how to do so. It is being very widely done and is not too risky.
    Stock Verizon ROM, phone itself came directly from Samsung originally.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by catnapped View Post
    Stock Verizon ROM, phone itself came directly from Samsung originally.
    Wow that is amazing then.

Surely lots of people have S8's on Boom?

Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wow that is amazing then.

Surely lots of people have S8's on Boom.

I guess you want to avoid trying a reset and starting from scratch?
    Already tried it--didn't work

Feedback Score
    Already tried it--didn't work
    Oh yes -looking back I see you did try a lot.

By the way, from earlier:
    "not only that but the Xfinity splash screen and settings are still there. "

Maybe this is a clue. Are they still there even now? If so, maybe they have set some other settings as well that are incompatible with Boom?

Doing a search on the "refreshing sim card" error, people have encountered that error in the past occasionally over the years and it has been various little things. For example, one person fixed it by toggling Network Settings. Have you tried Global versus Network versus Roaming versus whatever other options are there (I do not have one to look and see)?

By the way, another route might possibly be joining the Oreo Beta to report the problem to the developers and hopefully getting it fixed:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12...-galaxy-s8-s8/
    Last edited by comintel; 01-01-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh yes -looking back I see you did try a lot.

By the way, from earlier:
    "not only that but the Xfinity splash screen and settings are still there. "

Maybe this is a clue. Are they still there even now? If so, maybe they have set some other settings as well that are incompatible with Boom?
    Yeah, whatever splash screen was on it previously doesn't get changed when the Boom sim is inserted. Shouldn't it go back to "Verizon"? Like the phone is either ignoring it (though it does recognize when the sim gets changed) or for whatever reason can't read something on it.

Doing a search on the "refreshing sim card" error, people have encountered that error in the past occasionally over the years and it has been various little things. For example, one person fixed it by toggling Network Settings. Have you tried Global versus Network versus Roaming versus whatever other options are there (I do not have one to look and see)?
    Under "mobile networks" (with the Boom sim inside), I have a shut-off Data roaming, network mode that only goes to LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) as the top function (no global--Xfinity sim allows that), APN (which I have tried both the Verizon and Boom specified ones), and network operators. If I do a search of networks, I pull up Verizon, T-Mobile,AT&T, Sprint, and this mysterious 312770. Trying to register on Verizon or 312770 either just spins or eventually times out. The various ways to automatically register go nowhere either. Not sure if it means anything but the only way to actually get Verizon (or Sprint) to show up in the network search is with LTE/3G/2G enabled. None of the lesser options even show them when it's polled for available networks.

By the way, another route might possibly be joining the Oreo Beta to report the problem to the developers and hopefully getting it fixed:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12...-galaxy-s8-s8/
    Thinking of trying Oreo on it to see if maybe that works. As long as I can roll back if not...

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If I do a search of networks, I pull up Verizon, T-Mobile,AT&T, Sprint, and this mysterious 312770. Trying to register on Verizon or 312770 either just spins or eventually times out.
    LTE network 312-770 is an alias for/MVNO of network 311-480 (Verizon Wireless).
    Ownership of 312-770 by Verizon Wireless can also be confirmed here: http://imsiadmin.com/assignments

Feedback Score
    So I chatted with a Boom rep this morning and he mentioned the 5 Mbps cap has been removed. Is that correct?
    He also mentioned taxes are included in the plan prices...

I'm in Houston and currently with Teltik (T-Mobile) but want to try Verizon. I'm looking at the 10GB plan..

If someone who has traveled to different areas could post some feedback regarding data speeds, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by c47v3770; 01-03-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c47v3770 View Post
    So I chatted with a Boom rep this morning and he mentioned the 5 Mbps cap has been removed. Is that correct?

I'm in Houston and currently with Teltik (T-Mobile) but want to try Verizon. I'm looking at the 10GB plan..

If someone who has traveled to different areas could post some feedback regarding data speeds, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Yep, Yesterday here I was getting between 20-30 Mbps down.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I still get 5 down /2 up.

I've got to get a new sig...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c47v3770 View Post

Thanks!
    Got 52 Down - 25 Up, yesterday while in a high signal strength area.
    New Pixel 2, and had Boom do a reset on my account.

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mggray View Post
    Got 52 Down - 25 Up, yesterday while in a high signal strength area.
    New Pixel 2, and had Boom do a reset on my account.
    Are different areas getting different speeds? I got 7.41 down and 5.53 up with a decent signal. Do I need to have Boom "reset my account"?

Feedback Score
    I've tested it with one person and they got between 11 to 12 down, and 7 to 8 up. Have a few other lines to try.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by John-Charleston View Post
    Are different areas getting different speeds?
    You will always see large difference in anecdotal test reports in different areas because there are just so many location-based variables. Reported results in one location have nothing at all to do with what someone in another location may experience.

It's not a perfect test but if you want to check for carrier throttling you should position yourself very close to a tower that isn't too heavily loaded (you can never know this for sure of course but you can make an educated guess based on time and location.) If the speed test always rails right at 5 mbps then you are likely being throttled but if it is faster and variable then you most likely are not.

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    Reported results in one location have nothing at all to do with what someone in another location may experience.
    Or even time of day.
    I tested from the same spot 4-5 times the same day and got variation from 5-30 mbps when I was with Verizon.

Device(s)
    Samsung S7
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So being up and about early on a Sunday, I stopped next to a cell tower and tested my speed... 133 ping, 44.63 down, 22.29 up

Came back home (a little over half mile as the crow flies) and I get 138 ping, 9.74 down, 0.47 up. So I conclude I have a somewhat crappy signal at my house but I'm not being throttled.

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast