Thread: I found a SIM card slot in my laptop but don't know how to use it.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score

I found a SIM card slot in my laptop but don't know how to use it.

I was looking through the user guide for my company laptop, a Dell Vostro 3550 and noticed that is has a SIM card slot which I wasn't aware of. So how does this work? Can I insert the SIM card from my phone and go online when I'm away from wifi? Obviously this will use data from my cell phone account. Or can I purchase a separate prepaid data-only SIM card and leave it in there for those times when I need to go online with my laptop away from a wifi network?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This is somewhat covered in the user's manual: http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1021779024.pdf
    The WWAN card is probably 3G but I don't know the bands. You can put a data-active SIM in it and see what happens. You're supposed to remove the battery first.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I was looking through the user guide for my company laptop, a Dell Vostro 3550 and noticed that is has a SIM card slot which I wasn't aware of. So how does this work? Can I insert the SIM card from my phone and go online when I'm away from wifi? Obviously this will use data from my cell phone account. Or can I purchase a separate prepaid data-only SIM card and leave it in there for those times when I need to go online with my laptop away from a wifi network?
    Info about this is sparse. Yes, but it appears that it also requires a WWAN module which is the cell radio/modem and is/was available in CDMA and GSM versions.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s, IPad mini 4 Celluar
    Carrier(s)
    RingPlus FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I've seen many laptops with this, but few actually have the components to actualy be used unless it was specifically ordered to have it. You can tell if this port is usable by seeing if it has the contacts for the card in the slot, if it dose it's a 3G GSM slot, if not you generally can't add it after the fact without a new motherboard.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score
    Well, like they say in professional football, "Upon further review..." my laptop has a SIM card slot in the User Guide only. I took out the battery and learned that the actual laptop does not have it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Well, like they say in professional football, "Upon further review..." my laptop has a SIM card slot in the User Guide only. I took out the battery and learned that the actual laptop does not have it.
    It was an option in that model.