Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Why is no one talking about Expo Mobile?

Feedback Score
    I have our kids on the paygo plans on 3g verizon/cdma tracfones. There is no rollover on the $10 (90 day talk/text) plan or the $30 (120 day talk/text/slow data) plan. The way you check your cash balance and remaining service days is a free call to 611 to listen to the automated voice. It looks like you can also use verizon 4g phones for these plans. You will have to purchase an Expo sim card though.

Device(s)
    Saumsung Galaxy S5, Motorola Moto E (2nd Generation), LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    I just moved my mom's line to the Expo Mobile $10 90 day plan from a grandfathered Alltel prepaid plan on Verizon prepaid. My mom was able to keep her balance without any topups for a couple years on that plan by making one call every 30 days. This past Friday, she had to call the customer service of her medical alert device from her cell phone. At $0.15/minute, her balance drained quickly.

When her balance got down to $0.40, I was faced with the decision to either drop another $30 on her line for another 200 minutes, $10 on Expo Mobile for 500 minutes or $10 on the Page Plus PAYGO for 100 minutes (actually, only 80 minutes over 120 days if you factor in the $0.50 monthly charge on the Page Plus Standard plan). I decided to go for the Expo Mobile $10 plan to get 500 minutes.

I had to move her line back to her old Nokia 3587i from the Samsung Gusto 3 I got her back in January because the Gusto 3 wasn't showing as eligible to use on Expo Mobile and the Gusto 3 is *still* showing as not clear to activate on Verizon MVNO's even though it's been on Verizon prepaid for over 6 months... if it isn't released soon (next day or two), I might file an FCC complaint and see if that gets me anywhere.

The port took only a few minutes once I got her Verizon prepaid account number (it's not the phone number, gotta contact Verizon prepaid CS to get it, it's not listed on Verizon My Account on the Verizon website). A live person always instantly answered when I called Expo Mobile's CS. I gave the porting info to the CS agent and the port happened within a few minutes. For some reason, voice calls did not start working until yesterday (I ported on Saturday).

There's no rollover on the $10 plan, but that won't be a big deal because of the super low $0.02/minute voice rate. I look at it this way... if I forget to re-up her line on time, there's no balance to lose and nothing to lose if she doesn't like Expo Mobile and wants to go somewhere else.

Does Expo Mobile email or text reminders when it's about time to reup?

EDIT: I should add that Expo Mobile billed my credit card for $10.00 even, in case anyone is wondering about the taxes and fees added on (I'm on Ohio).
    Last edited by slyphoxj; 11-14-2016 at 04:05 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grayson73 View Post
    Is there a way to check balance remaining?
    About the only way I know of is to dial 611 from your handset. You will get minutes, texts and data remaining (if on a monthly plan, these are all zero for the PAYGO plans) and cash balance. There's no online account management whatsoever... about the only thing that can be done online is to start service and refill an existing line.

The $10 90 day plan is the only interesting plan that Expo Mobile offers for those who need voice service only on Verizon towers, like my mom who doesn't text or use data and wants to stay with a flip phone. If the Sprint service was decent in and near my home, I'd put her on Tello. I'm keeping her line on Verizon towers because she's used to the Samsung Gusto 3 I got her back in January and she really likes it. I do have an unlocked GoPhone ZTE Z222, but it's not as good as the Gusto 3.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    I just dialed 611 on my mom's phone and pressed 1 to go to customer service after the automated balance message, then heard a lady say "Welcome to customer service..." and hung up. Then I started thinking... was that actually a live person or just the start of a recording saying that customer service is closed? So I called back, and, sure enough, it was a live person, at 3:30AM EST! Wow! Totally unexpected bonus, considering that the main page on Expo's site says "Call Us: 800-818-1597 | MONDAY-FRIDAY 8AM-5PM PT" at the bottom of the image next to the picture of the dude next to the "BYOD bring your own device" verbiage.
    Last edited by slyphoxj; 11-14-2016 at 03:52 AM. Reason: added "unexpected bonus, considering that..."

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    slyphoxj, thanks a lot for the info you've provided so far about the Expo Mobile $10/90 days plan on the Vzw network.

If/when you find out if there is any auto-renewal and/or any warning when running low on funds or before the 90 days expires, please post back.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    slyphoxj, I have another question. Is the current remaining balance announced when your mom places a call?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    slyphoxj, I have another question. Is the current remaining balance announced when your mom places a call?
    Nope, just regular ringing after pressing Send. It would be nice if Expo had that though like Page Plus does.

Sent from my SM-G900V using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless, RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    slyphoxj, thanks a lot for the info you've provided so far about the Expo Mobile $10/90 days plan on the Vzw network.

If/when you find out if there is any auto-renewal and/or any warning when running low on funds or before the 90 days expires, please post back.
    I was offered the auto-renew when I added the $10 to start, but the verbiage on the website said it would be billed monthly, so I declined it. Maybe Expo CS can set it up with a 90 day auto renew, I'll have to ask them.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, no one is really digging Expo mobile because their overall monthly plan rates are underwhelming and behind the times. In general, most Sprint mvnos are getting murdered by Boost mobile on middle and higher end plans and by Tmobile mvnos. On the Verizon front, Page Plus, Selectel and Verizon prepaid have it sewn up though Eco Mobile's Verizon plans are worth a look for sure . And you can cherry pick plans from other mvnos like Total Wireless, Red Pocket's 20 dollar and Envie's 25 dollar plans. But overall, not much real competition for Verizon mvnos that Total, PPC, Vz prepaid and Selectel can't push back.. Boom appears to be doing very well too but I get jitters on newbies unless they have a huge machine behind them like Tracfone...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Honestly, no one is really digging Expo mobile because their overall monthly plan rates are underwhelming and behind the times. In general, most Sprint mvnos are getting murdered by Boost mobile on middle and higher end plans and by Tmobile mvnos. On the Verizon front, Page Plus, Selectel and Verizon prepaid have it sewn up though Eco Mobile's Verizon plans are worth a look for sure . And you can cherry pick plans from other mvnos like Total Wireless, Red Pocket's 20 dollar and Envie's 25 dollar plans. But overall, not much real competition for Verizon mvnos that Total, PPC, Vz prepaid and Selectel can't push back.. Boom appears to be doing very well too but I get jitters on newbies unless they have a huge machine behind them like Tracfone...
    But is there anything better for people that need a moderate amount of talk and/or text with a 4G LTE phone on the Vzw network?

For lower use, it is ~$3.33/mo for ~166 minutes and/or text per month, paid $10/90 days.

For a little more usage, it is ~$7.50/mo for ~375 minutes and/or text per month, and limited data usage can even be mixed in at $0.05/MB at 128kbps, paid $30/120 days.

If there's anything better using the Vzw network for the kind of usage described above, please let us know.

Device(s)
    Moto G3, Nexus 5X, Robin, LG Gpad X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Unlimited Data Pass, Pure Talk
    Feedback Score
    I signed up for the $10 ninety day plan last week on the Verizon network and got a free sim mailed to me for $12 overall. $2 postage and handling. My unlocked Moto G4 Play checked out on their website. I didn't activate yet because my one year for $75 with Selected ends January 11 and I have 450 minutes of voice left. I was wondering if Google Voice is compatible with Expo Mobile's Verizon system. Perhaps someone here has experience with that? I figure I will save $35 a year using Expo Mobile rather than Selectel, which was fine with no glitches. But I don't want to go another year on my Moto 3g. The battery is wearing down a bit.

I also found CS at Expo Mobile answered the phone instantly.

Sent from my MotoG3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    I signed up for the $10 ninety day plan last week on the Verizon network and got a free sim mailed to me for $12 overall. $2 postage and handling. My unlocked Moto G4 Play checked out on their website. I didn't activate yet because my one year for $75 with Selected ends January 11 and I have 450 minutes of voice left. I was wondering if Google Voice is compatible with Expo Mobile's Verizon system. Perhaps someone here has experience with that? I figure I will save $35 a year using Expo Mobile rather than Selectel, which was fine with no glitches. But I don't want to go another year on my Moto 3g. The battery is wearing down a bit.

I also found CS at Expo Mobile answered the phone instantly.

Sent from my MotoG3 using HoFo mobile app
    I can't think of any reason why GV wouldn't work with Expo, or any other carrier/MVNO. Was there some specific question you had about that?

Device(s)
    Moto G3, Nexus 5X, Robin, LG Gpad X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Unlimited Data Pass, Pure Talk
    Feedback Score
    I can't think of any reason why GV wouldn't work with Expo, or any other carrier/MVNO. Was there some specific question you had about that?
    The reason why I asked if Google Voice was compatible with Expo Mobile's Verizon service was because I have experienced compatibility issues with Ring Plus and Ece Mobile on their Sprint service. The main issue was getting calls to go to Google voice mail rather than the carrier voice mail. I did not have any issues using Selectel's service.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collegea View Post
    The reason why I asked if Google Voice was compatible with Expo Mobile's Verizon service was because I have experienced compatibility issues with Ring Plus and Ece Mobile on their Sprint service. The main issue was getting calls to go to Google voice mail rather than the carrier voice mail. I did not have any issues using Selectel's service.
    Oh, so the question isn't really about using Google Voice, but instead it's about using Google Voice Voicemail for the voicemail on your real Expo Mobile number? If so, I think your question is whether or not Expo, using the Vzw network, supports conditional call forwarding. It should, but that is a simple question that Expo CS should be able to easily answer.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115110?hl=en

Feedback Score
    But is there anything better for people that need a moderate amount of talk and/or text with a 4G LTE phone on the Vzw network?

For lower use, it is ~$3.33/mo for ~166 minutes and/or text per month, paid $10/90 days.

For a little more usage, it is ~$7.50/mo for ~375 minutes and/or text per month, and limited data usage can even be mixed in at $0.05/MB at 128kbps, paid $30/120 days.

If there's anything better using the Vzw network for the kind of usage described above, please let us know.
    Thanks for breaking down the math. I'm looking to move from the P+ $80 Paygo in a few weeks. My first inclination was to go to the Selectel $100 4G yearly plan. What I don't like about that one is the separate buckets for minutes and texts. I could see using up the full allotment of 2000 texts before the end of a year, while still having lots of voice minutes left. That would make the Expo $30/120 day plan a better option for me -- minutes and/or texts is more flexible. Plus the annual allotment is slightly higher.

On the other hand, Selectel does provide roaming, which is an issue for me occasionally while traveling. Not sure I'm willing to give up the option to roam.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast