Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Why is no one talking about Expo Mobile?

Feedback Score
    I just ported into Expo Mobile a few days ago. I'm having the same issue. In addition, a new feature on my lock screen is a "Verizon Wireless" scroll. I guess I'll get in touch with CS.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PleasePressZero View Post
    I just ported into Expo Mobile a few days ago. I'm having the same issue. In addition, a new feature on my lock screen is a "Verizon Wireless" scroll. I guess I'll get in touch with CS.
    What phone and plan are you using with Expo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What phone and plan are you using with Expo?
    It's an HTC One M8, on the $30, 120-day Pay-go plan.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It's an HTC One M8, on the $30, 120-day Pay-go plan.
    So far, the only difference I see is that you and collegea are using LTE smartphones, while my mom is using a 3G only LG Octane VN530 feature phone. My mom's phone is also on the $30/120 days plan. The only other difference is that her line has data disabled on the account side, but I think I did that after I was already getting Expo when dialing *611.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    I ported over a line about a month ago. IPhone 4 on the 3g $10/90days plan with no problems. I dial 611 and it goes directly to Expo.

Feedback Score
    For anyone who's getting ready to port and who, like me, wonders how to find the free SIM that people have written about here. It's not immediately obvious.

On the page where you pick a plan, there's also the option there to buy a SIM. Don't select it!

Instead, after selecting your plan, on the next page where it give you the option to activate your plan, click that. That will lead you to the option to request a free SIM. (The SIM may be free, but the S&H costs $2.50.)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So far, the only difference I see is that you and collegea are using LTE smartphones, while my mom is using a 3G only LG Octane VN530 feature phone. My mom's phone is also on the $30/120 days plan. The only other difference is that her line has data disabled on the account side, but I think I did that after I was already getting Expo when dialing *611.
    Quote Originally Posted by cctraderx View Post
    I ported over a line about a month ago. IPhone 4 on the 3g $10/90days plan with no problems. I dial 611 and it goes directly to Expo.
    So, maybe the difference is being on the 3G vs 4G LTE "system".

Device(s)
    Moto G3, Nexus 5X, Robin, LG Gpad X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Unlimited Data Pass, Pure Talk
    Feedback Score
    For anyone who's getting ready to port and who, like me, wonders how to find the free SIM that people have written about here. It's not immediately obvious.

On the page where you pick a plan, there's also the option there to buy a SIM. Don't select it!

Instead, after selecting your plan, on the next page where it give you the option to activate your plan, click that. That will lead you to the option to request a free SIM. (The SIM may be free, but the S&H costs $2.50.)
    That's the route I went. But I had to call CS to activate the line and give the information to port over my number. I could not do this online. I am satisfied with the service outside of the 611 issue. For 2 cents a minute for talk/text on the 90 day $10 plan, I suppose I shouldn't expect perfection.

Feedback Score

Certain phones help you avoid sims for immediate activation

Sprint and Verizon cdma only 3g phones, Sprint WiMAX phones, Sprint androids first gen lte with built in embedded sims like the Galaxy S3 and Note 2, any Sprint lte device where the old original sim is intact can help you avoid new sims an allow for immediate activations. I see sims as a double edge sword. For byod portability they are unbeatable but if you are trying to activate any phone that requires one, it's a brick till you get it. And on the smaller carriers, you can't just go to a Best Buy or Walmart an pick such a sim up.

With everyone going to LTE including the formerly all cdma carriers, gsm becoming more closed up because of new security measures, the imei blacklist, icloud/Samsung locks, and more and more phones, especially flagships like the iPhone/Galaxy S line allowing use on most any major carrier without technological limitations anymore, the gap between cdma and gsm isn't quite as big as it was say five or six years ago...

Feedback Score

Additional charges on the 3-month $10 plan?

Hello all,

I'm considering Expo Mobile's 3-month $10 plan but before I port-in my number from PagePlus I wonder if anyone can tell me if Expo Mobile charges a monthly fee like PagePlus? Or taxes? Or port-in fees? Or other fees?

Or should I be looking elsewhere for some of the lowest pay-as-you-go rates for voice minutes and text messages (no data)?

I already checked Puppy Wireless but I don't want to pay them $80 just to get started. I feel safer getting started with Expo Mobile for only $10, then renewing as needed.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Hello all,

I'm considering Expo Mobile's 3-month $10 plan but before I port-in my number from PagePlus I wonder if anyone can tell me if Expo Mobile charges a monthly fee like PagePlus? Or taxes? Or port-in fees? Or other fees?

Or should I be looking elsewhere for some of the lowest pay-as-you-go rates for voice minutes and text messages (no data)?

I already checked Puppy Wireless but I don't want to pay them $80 just to get started. I feel safer getting started with Expo Mobile for only $10, then renewing as needed.
    There are no monthly fees or any other fees on Expo.

Feedback Score
    Hello Boz1,

Thanks for telling me that Expo Mobile does not charge any additional fees. This makes it the best deal I have found (so far) in terms of a pay-as-you-go service that offers a very low per-unit fee *and* a very low start up fee on the Verizon network.

Puppy's $80 per year plan (only 1.5 cents per unit) is actually the lowest per-unit rate I could find anywhere for a Verizon MVNO. This plan makes sense for anyone who is willing to pay the $80 in advance, or who needs some data to go along with their talk and text. But if you don't use all $80 within a year you lose the remaining balance -- which effectively raises your per-unit price -- perhaps higher than Expo Mobile's 2.0 cents per minute!

And with Expo Mobile, if it takes me the full 90 days to use up their $10 plan allotment, I will end up paying only $40 per year vs. Puppy's $80 per year. So unless the Expo Mobile service has serious problems I do not know about, I cannot see any reason NOT to go with Expo Mobile. Can you?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'm confused about whether or not the PW $80 plan balance will carry over. There were recent reports on McAllen Forum saying that the remaining balance carried over upon adding funds before the expiration date, but I think I read a recent report on HoFo saying it did not.

Since the balance definitely doesn't carry over with Expo, if you don't use the entire $10 balance before 90 days, the effective rate will definitely be more than $0.02 per min. But you're right about the total minimum expenditure for Expo being less per year with minimal usage.
    Last edited by Boz1; 12-28-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Feedback Score
    I'm confused about whether or not the PW $80 plan balance will carry over or not.
    Someone in another thread just told me Puppy Wireless removed his remaining balance a couple days after he renewed, so I am going to conclude that they do not carry over any remaining balance.

Since the balance definitely doesn't carry over with Expo, if you don't use the entire $10 balance before 90 days, the effective rate will definitely be more than $0.02 per min.
    Right. However, I don't think my wife will have any trouble using her $10 Expo Mobile balance within 90 days. And if I'm wrong and she doesn't use it all, the total annual Expo Mobile cost will be only $40 ... and that's about as cheap as it gets for Verizon MVNOs on an annual basis.

Feedback Score
    May I use an unlocked phone on the Verizon service?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast