Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Public Launches International Roaming

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score

Public Launches International Roaming

Not just for continental USA either, apparently places like Alaska and Puerto Rico are getting coverage

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Not just for continental USA either, apparently places like Alaska and Puerto Rico are getting coverage
    That's still US. Are they doing other countries? That isn't a US state or territory?
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    That's still US.
    However... they are not in the continental US. A massive difference.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    However... they are not in the continental US. A massive difference.
    That makes it US roaming, not international roaming.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    That makes it US roaming, not international roaming.
    No carrier I have ever seen includes places like Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico as the US
    As CGY pointed out above they are US territories sure but they are entirely separate countries
    Our public school system has once again disappointed me. *sighs*

Heck most US roaming plans only cover continental and leave out Alaska + Hawaii even

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down

I found it ridiculous that they offer "all or nothing approach roaming". They don't have pay per use option!!! Pay $8 for 10 days and be happy!
    My friend was in the USA with PM phone and could not call anyone or text anyone. Incoming only.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/14/pu...aming-options/
    Tired of cell phone unpredictaBILLS? I can help!
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_wisdom View Post
    I found it ridiculous that they offer "all or nothing approach roaming". They don't have pay per use option!!!
    The odd thing to me when I first joined was no PPU at all
    I had a small credit ($10 I think) in account so figured could use it to dial a USA number
    Nope
    Need to buy a minute bundle first then dial
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $6 Loyalty - $42 Refer = $22 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Device(s)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity/Chatr
    Feedback Score
    The odd thing to me when I first joined was no PPU at all
    I had a small credit ($10 I think) in account so figured could use it to dial a USA number
    Nope
    Need to buy a minute bundle first then dial
    That's total bs

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    No carrier I have ever seen includes places like Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico as the US
    As CGY pointed out above they are US territories sure but they are entirely separate countries
    Our public school system has once again disappointed me. *sighs*

Heck most US roaming plans only cover continental and leave out Alaska + Hawaii even
    Sorry for the necro-post, but I was cruising for information on roaming with PM and ran across this and felt it deserved a response.

No, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are not entirely separate countries. They are part of the US, but not as full states. Their head of state is the US president. Residents born there are US citizens. By definition, as territories of the US, they are the property of the US. They are under the full sovereignty of the US federal government. Their ports are considered US ports, which is why goods are so very expensive there. A US law says the foreign ships are only allowed to dock at one US port per visit. This means a ship delivering goods, say cars from Japan, cannot deliver goods in PR and then in Miami. The goods must be shipped to the mainland and then offloaded, reloaded onto a US ship and then transported to PR, increasing the costs massively. This is because they are a US port. However, while as Territories they are part of the US, full US constitutional rights and protections are not automatically extended to residents. For example, while their head of state is the US President, they cannot vote for the US president (unless they move to and become residents of a US state). Territories are not considered to be fully integrated into the US as states, i.e. they are "unincorporated", but are still legally a part of the US.

I think you have confused them with US Protectorates, which sort of sit between a Territory and a separate and sovereignty state/country. Or you are applying the relatively modern Canadian definition of territory, wherein our territories are effectively provinces, by which the US territories would certainly seem like separate countries from the US. Parts of our original territories were split up into the 3 prairie provinces and the rest form our current territories. Since the 70s and 80s our territories have been allowed to be more province like, becoming more self-governing like provinces, instead of being completely run by the feds. They now have elected territorial governments, which are basically the same as provincial legislative assemblies, but they were granted this local governance by federal statutes, instead of being constitutionally granted as their provincial counter-parts are. One could certainly look at Canadian territories and then think by that definition the US territories must separate countries, but they are not. They are "foreign, in a domestic sense".

Anyway, indeed our schools system is disappointing. I don't think they even teach this stuff anymore.
    Last edited by ceredon; 06-12-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    Unlimited Provincial Calling, Unlimited Global SMS/MMS, Conditional Call Forwarding, 10 message VM
    12GB/90 days
    $36/Month Public Mobile, $15 400 international LD that don't expire
    $49/8GB, Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 / Samsung Galaxy S / N82
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Reason why I left PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    Anyway, indeed our schools system is disappointing. I don't think they even teach this stuff anymore.
    Well, you can tell who the old(er) farts are here.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by casperr View Post
    Reason why I left PM.
    Wait... You left Public Mobile over the legal status of Puerto Rico?
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    No, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are not entirely separate countries. They are part of the US, but not as full states. Their head of state is the US president. Residents born there are US citizens. By definition, as territories of the US, they are the property of the US.
    Actually their head of state is a Governor, but they are US citizens.
    Many countries do refer to them as a separate country (the UN has even created a "Special Committee on Decolonization") where they are referred to as a nation and have been fighting the US since 1953 on the peoples legal status. So whether they are a nation or not depends on your view of the world and which history books you read (hint Canadians tend to side with UN, US books tend to not like their reports)
    Internally they have had multiple referendums as to whether they proceed with full statehood, independence, or keep status quo.

Interesting enough all people (even continental born US citizens) who live in PR lose voting rights

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Wait... You left Public Mobile over the legal status of Puerto Rico?
    Really?

Actually their head of state is a Governor, but they are US citizens.
    Many countries do refer to them as a separate country (the UN has even created a "Special Committee on Decolonization") where they are referred to as a nation and have been fighting the US since 1953 on the peoples legal status. So whether they are a nation or not depends on your view of the world and which history books you read (hint Canadians tend to side with UN, US books tend to not like their reports)
    Internally they have had multiple referendums as to whether they proceed with full statehood, independence, or keep status quo.

Interesting enough all people (even continental born US citizens) who live in PR lose voting rights
    please stop. The head of their local government is the governor. No more the head of state than a local mayor. Their legal and internationally recognized head of state is POTUS.

yes, many there have aspersions of independence and their own country. But wishful thinking aside, they are in no way shape or form an "entirely separate country". That's just factually vacant. You also seem to be confused into using nation and country interchangeably. That's another mistake. Very different concepts that some people tend to mix up.

Remember when schools used to teach this stuff? So disappointed in our public school system.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    You do not seem to understand the definition of a nation

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nation

I mean even the UN is "united nations" right

Or from the US pledge itself:
    "one nation under God"

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    You do not seem to understand the definition of a nation

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nation

I mean even the UN is "united nations" right

Or from the US pledge itself:
    "one nation under God"
    There ya go. Now look up country. See if you can figure out the status of Puerto Rico.

what would be awesome as a next step would be if you learned it before lecturing others. To be honest, your original post was kind of embarrassing.

whats next, a lecture on why Canada is actually a part of the USA?

the saddest part isn't that you thought puerto Rico was an "entirely separate country". And it wasn't that you were over the top arrogant when trying to correct someone about it from your position of misunderstanding the words you were using. The saddest part is that you can't accept correction. You were wrong. You've been corrected. You're embarrassed. But you're embarrassing yourself more by refusing to simply admit your mistake.

Though you might want to apologize to jonavin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast