Thread: Need your opinons on a VoIP service

Feedback Score

Need your opinons on a VoIP service

Hi,
    I can't decide. My friends have starting to ditch the landline and change to VoIP. Since everyone has a smartphone in hand, it is time to tell farewell to my landline too. My friends are listing out all the wonderful advantages of VoIP phones over the landline. I searched for a digital phone service online and I came across several offers and features. It is the economic aspect that is encouraging me to change to VoIP. I would like to know about the services of Acanac ( https://www.acanac.com/home-phone/ ) in Canada. I think it is very cheap and contains all the necessary features. If anyone here uses their service, please share your opinion.
    Thanks.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, never heard of Acanac. I'm pretty heavily into VoIP so that would be an automatic red flag for me.

I would recommend you take a hard look at VoIP.ms or Callcentric. Also, check out the following for reviews:

https://www.dslreports.com/gbu

Feedback Score
    I have an Ooma Telo here in the U.S. and am totally happy with it . It doesn`t get much use but it only cost me about $5 a month where my old AT&T landline was running me $44 a month.That figures out to $468 per year savings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobbr6 View Post
    Hi,
    I can't decide. My friends have starting to ditch the landline and change to VoIP. Since everyone has a smartphone in hand, it is time to tell farewell to my landline too. My friends are listing out all the wonderful advantages of VoIP phones over the landline. I searched for a digital phone service online and I came across several offers and features. It is the economic aspect that is encouraging me to change to VoIP. I would like to know about the services of Acanac ( https://www.acanac.com/home-phone/ ) in Canada. I think it is very cheap and contains all the necessary features. If anyone here uses their service, please share your opinion.
    Thanks.
    I have an Obi-200 with Google Voice as my number/service provider. The Obi was $35. GV is free. It works very well and is as reliable as my cable broadband Internet service. Which is to say, not nearly as reliable as a copper landline. I am not really all that concerned with the reliability for social/personal calls. I'm not running a business here and cell phones can fill the gap when the cable goes down. However, the reliability of my cable is not adequate for 911. GV does not offer 911 anyway, but I could add it from another service for a few dollars a year.

It also doesn't work when the electricity goes out, which is not uncommon. I, and probably most, don't have enough UPS to power the cable modem, ATA, and router for more than a few minutes, and that is with a lot of beeping from the UPS.

Numerous people around here use VOIP from the cable company. I guess they are hoping they don't need to call 911 during a storm.

I'm keeping my copper landline with the absolute minimum service. That is $27 a month for me. Over half of that is taxes and fees, but that is a different story.

GV is probably not available in Canada. There are people here with a lot of experience with Callcentric and other SIP/VOIP providers. I don't know what service providers are available in Canada.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I've been a Phonepower subscriber for a number of years and have been pretty happy overall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty impressed with Callcentric.

The service is quite reliable and the telemarketer block feature is awesome.

They aren't the cheapest provider though.

voip.ms is a less expensive alternative that is also fairly reliable.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    I looked at several alternatives including Ooma, but settled on 1-Voip.com and have used it for probably 3+ years. I have been impressed with the responsiveness of customer service the few times I contacted. It costs me $13.97/month for unlimited calling, although it looks as if the cost for new subscribers has gone up from that.

Device(s)
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I have Ooma original voip box, got in when the service was free every month, but the box was $200 in 2009- but haven't paid a phone bill since. I have had an Obi-200 in a vacation home, service is free using google voice number, I pay for a 911 service thru anveo, $15/year. Both are very reliable until you lose internet service or power. But with cell phones nowadays, that's OK.
    Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back up is when you screw up!

It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank-you.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I also use Google Voice with an Obi 200 device. Couldn't be better, except for the fact that I too use Anveo for 911 service (which isn't provided by Google Voice), and apparently they've raised the price of their annual contract from $15 to $25. I could probably do without it, since I have numerous cell phones, but I guess I see it as one of those fail-safe things, especially for someone else to use should they be visiting.

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5, iPhone SE, lG 290c, iPad mini 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Ooma has worked great for us!

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some months back I was messing around in a hidden menu which accidentally dialed emergency services (cricket sim). Surprisingly the call reached the local 911 dispatch office here in town. I'm not sure what location info they received but at least it didn't go out to a county wide call center or a regional call center.

We always have at least one charged cell phone around, so if power is out, 911 can be reached that way. If the local tower is out then we probably have bigger issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Some months back I was messing around in a hidden menu which accidentally dialed emergency services (cricket sim). Surprisingly the call reached the local 911 dispatch office here in town. I'm not sure what location info they received but at least it didn't go out to a county wide call center or a regional call center....
    I called 911 with my cellphone from home. It connected to Emergency Services in the neighboring county which I am close to - about 3 miles.

I don't know if they have the ability to forward a call to my county.