Thread: Verizon vs iPhone data counter

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon vs iPhone data counter

Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking their usage is bazar. My fiancé somehow uses around 17-18 GB a month even though he's around wifi a lot. My usage seems to be on par though. I feel like Verizon is scamming all of us and I'm surprised there's no lawsuit or major fine issued yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think awareness needs to be raised and everyone needs to start comparing their phones logged usage with Verizon's logged usage. It can't just be people being billed thousands of dollars in overages complaining, it has to be everyone. I am debating which way would be the best to pursue this though. Anyone got any ideas? FCC?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Just found out my fiancé's iPhone says 14.8 used when Verizon's site says 15.4... big difference there. Mine is only .05 GB off. I wish there was a class action lawsuit we could join.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Just found out my fiancé's iPhone says 14.8 used when Verizon's site says 15.4... big difference there. Mine is only .05 GB off. I wish there was a class action lawsuit we could join.

Was the phone counter reset exactly at the start of the last cycle? That's worse of an overbilling then I've seen so far.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Class action lawsuits against cell phone carriers are far and few in between these days. Courts have upheld binding arbitration over the last few years. Freakonomics101, were you charged for data overages ?? Keep us updated.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I think awareness needs to be raised and everyone needs to start comparing their phones logged usage with Verizon's logged usage. It can't just be people being billed thousands of dollars in overages complaining, it has to be everyone. I am debating which way would be the best to pursue this though. Anyone got any ideas? FCC?
    It doesn't make sense for there to be huge discrepancies, but I'm not too sure that the FCC would do much without harm being done to the consumer. By that I mean I don't think they will do much if you don't have overages.

I suspect the best way to determine what is going on would be to audit Verizon's IT/data allocation system to determine if something is obviously incorrect in how data is billed.

There may be limited value in such an audit though, after all, my data is accurate, so any over billing is not systematic. (Billing being data usage)

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

There can also be discrepancies in the way devices count data. For example, if you're in a low signal area, retransmissions and retries might be counted by the network, but not by the device. Especially if the network has to resend packets that your phone never received due to interference or signal dropout; there would be literally no way for the handset to count a packet that it never received at the physical layer.

I could see running things like tons of speed tests causing this more often than other, less intensive uses of the connection, as they are designed to max out the connection and the more data you're trying to push over the air the higher chance that retransmissions will occur.

Even Android and iOS devices could count differently. Perhaps even different apps might not report usage correctly or have some reason that is inadvertently causing data to be counted that otherwise wouldn't be.

It would probably help to know what the most popular apps people are using and whether being in low signal strength areas has any effect on the amount of data used. There are just literally so many variables to this that it would be almost impossible to narrow down.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Was the phone counter reset exactly at the start of the last cycle? That's worse of an overbilling then I've seen so far.
    Yes, at midnight of the day it resets. And we have safety mode enabled but still, I don't like losing high speed data that we haven't used.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Class action lawsuits against cell phone carriers are far and few in between these days. Courts have upheld binding arbitration over the last few years. Freakonomics101, were you charged for data overages ?? Keep us updated.
    No overages. We have safety mode enabled. But that's high speed data we could use for rollover.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    There can also be discrepancies in the way devices count data. For example, if you're in a low signal area, retransmissions and retries might be counted by the network, but not by the device. Especially if the network has to resend packets that your phone never received due to interference or signal dropout; there would be literally no way for the handset to count a packet that it never received at the physical layer.

I could see running things like tons of speed tests causing this more often than other, less intensive uses of the connection, as they are designed to max out the connection and the more data you're trying to push over the air the higher chance that retransmissions will occur.

Even Android and iOS devices could count differently. Perhaps even different apps might not report usage correctly or have some reason that is inadvertently causing data to be counted that otherwise wouldn't be.

It would probably help to know what the most popular apps people are using and whether being in low signal strength areas has any effect on the amount of data used. There are just literally so many variables to this that it would be almost impossible to narrow down.
    Yeah I already thought about this and while it's definitely a valid argument, I've been monitoring my data meter for over 7 months now and comparing it to AT&T and they rarely didn't align. And when they didn't it was AT&T under counting, not my device. I also did the same test with T-Mobile and found the device to match exactly what T-Mobile said was used. So if two out of three carriers agrees with the iOS data counter, I tend to believe that the iOS data counter is quite accurate. Even if it were off I don't think it should be by over 300 MB's, or more.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Used 275 MB's yesterday and Verizon billed for 292. That's the biggest overbill since I started monitoring by the day. Probably making up for not overbilling the day before.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My bill shows nearly a gb more than what my phone shows. They should be brought to court for their inaccurate billing system. They are probably raking in millions with these discrepancies each year.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    My bill shows nearly a gb more than what my phone shows. They should be brought to court for their inaccurate billing system. They are probably raking in millions with these discrepancies each year.
    How much did you use in total? Trying to see if there is a pattern to all this.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile att vz
    Feedback Score
    I only have a few days left on Verizon cycle so I'll tally up the final difference to see how much off it is. My att data is much more accurate than Verizon plus I get better signal near home so it's getting more use now. Att is at -95 band 17 while Verizon is almost -120 . The best I've gotten on Verizon is -108. Verizon has been disappointing this cycle

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using HoFo mobile app
    "Sent from my busted phone"

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How much did you use in total? Trying to see if there is a pattern to all this.
    It was about 50GB.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile att vz
    Feedback Score
    The main carrier I've had data reading problems with has been Verizon so for me it wasn't an iPhone issue or droid etc. I've used different phones and none seemed to match. I'm only on the 2gb but cycle ends soon so I'll see how off it is

Verizon def let's me know I'm in safety mode

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast