Thread: There is No Room in My Life for a $1,000 Phone

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post There is No Room in My Life for a $1,000 Phone

Name:  pixel-price.png
Views: 412
Size:  257.2 KB

$1,179 CAD. That's what Google Canada wants for a 128 GB Pixel XL. To say that I'm not interested would be a massive understatement.

And it's not like I don't love gadgets; it's just that I buy enough of them to have a pretty good idea of what I'm willing to spend. As a reference, here's my own personal computer allowance:

Desktop computer - $2,000 - upgraded every two to three years
    Laptop computer - $1,000 - upgraded every two to three years
    Smartphone - $500 - upgraded every year
    Smartwatch - $250 - upgraded every year

But wait, you say, you can get a 32 GB Pixel for only $899 CAD. Yeah, no thanks... over the summer I bought a ThinkPad for the same price.

But wait, you say, you can finance a Pixel through your carrier or even Google. Again, no thanks... The only phone I ever financed from anyone was the 2011 Galaxy Nexus—and I ended up having to pay that off early when I changed carriers and got the Nexus 4.

But wait, you say, the Pixel has a much better camera than your stupid OnePlus 3. That may be, but for the $660 CAD in savings (the OP3 ships to Canada for $519) I can buy a pretty decent DSLR with a better lens and sensor than any smartphone currently on the market.

I don't think of myself as cheap, I just don't see any value in Google's new phones.
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Amen brother.
    Dumb move from Google to think that Android fans are identical to Apple fans and will blindly spend that kind of money on a flawed phone.

PS you were generous and left taxes out...another 200+$
    Last edited by Ipse; 10-13-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I never want a phone I'd have to either buy insurance to protect or kill myself if it was lost or stolen. IMHO, people pay way too much just to be the "cool kid" on the block.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I just wonder what applications, besides games, need this much processing power.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post
    Dumb move from Google to think that Android fans are identical to Apple fans and will blindly spend that kind of money...
    Well, fans are fans, whether they're Apple fans, Android fans, football fans, fans of singers, actors, other sorts of 'celebrities', whatever. They'll spend what most of us would think are outragous amounts of money on their fandom, not because of any utility, but because they're fans. Just look at the prices paid for various sports & celebrity memorabila.

So Google isn't really all that dumb, they're just trying to make money by soaking the fans. If they buy, Google's ahead. If nobody buys at that price, in a couple of months they can drop it to a realistic level, move the unsold stock, and still make a profit.

Feedback Score
    Agreed, and the same applies word for word for the iPhone but what makes Google's situation more tenable is the obvious fact that the Pixel has vast competition in the Android world while Apple has a monopoly with the iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Another amen.

I get by just fine with nice used flagship phones in the $140 range and $300-$400 notebooks. I haven't bought a desk computer in so long that I don't even know the prices. It definitely would not be $2000 for me. I recently picked up a new LG G Pad F 8 for $105. It is perfectly adequate. I think it is great for the price. I'm loving it. I hate lugging notebook computers for things that are too hard to see or tedious to do on a phone.

All of these things are smarter and faster than I am. It would be stupid for me to spend $1,200 for a cellphone to jam in my pocket to bang around with the keys and coins, even though I could afford it. My tech gadgets are not status symbols. What I have does not look or work like junk either.

I don't pay much for cell service either, but that is a different story.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    A phone I was interested that's coming out is in the 800s USD which is a disappointment because for that price I can get a digital camera that I've been wanting instead. It's hard for me to pay but so much for a phone these days

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
    ...If they buy, Google's ahead. If nobody buys at that price, in a couple of months they can drop it to a realistic level, move the unsold stock, and still make a profit.
    Haha, yeah, since the production cost of the phone is probably about $250. Even with shipping, marketing, retailing, etc. there is still a lot of profit to be made selling them for $400 or so. Fortunately we live in a market economy and they can do this if enough sheeple want them, and reasonable people have other perfectly adequate choices at reasonable prices.

Feedback Score
    I preordered one and I am looking forward to it.
    Is it expensive yes but I keep in mind the Nexus 6 that I am replacing if I recall cost me $800 and that was when the dollar was at par.
    I want first in, too see what Google is developing.

It will cost me but ok it will last me 2 years.
    Google keeps selling out the Pixel XL 128Gig somebody it buying them.

Feedback Score
    I'm probably on the low end of spending. Phone cost under $30, I'm still using the T61 Thinkpad I bought years ago as my main machine - it does editing, compiling, email & web browsing, and generally runs well under 5% of CPU unless I hit a misbehaving web page, so why do I need more? Main desktop (ok, tower) is only a couple of years old: $900 or so for components, plus several hundred to keep GPU cards updated.

Feedback Score
    Yeah it seems like a cool purchase but it's pretty hard to justify.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4S Windows 10
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It does nothing that other androids do not do for less. I cannot imagine what it is that google thinks would substantiate that price point. The price and no removable storage make it dead for me.

Feedback Score
    Can someone post the specs?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    Can someone post the specs?
    Here you go

http://bfy.tw/8Brg
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast