Thread: Modem Options While on Airplane

Feedback Score

Modem Options While on Airplane

Hello,

I have been traveling more frequently lately and find that InFlight WiFi often has issues.

Is there any feasibility to traveling with a satellite modem that will connect to my laptop and provide broadband internet access while on a plane with a provider like ViaSat or Iridium?

Best Regards,

Glass

Feedback Score
    I am writing to circle back on this. Any thoughts?

I will be traveling more often soon and would really like to explore alternatives to being limited to InFlight WiFi availability and uptime.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Glass View Post
    I am writing to circle back on this. Any thoughts?

I will be traveling more often soon and would really like to explore alternatives to being limited to InFlight WiFi availability and uptime.
    Inside a metal tube with portholes? My guess is no. The Iridium hotspot might work intermittently if you tape it to the window, but it would be illegal to operate, as would a cell Mifi.

The Iridium hotspot is also slow for data.

Feedback Score
    Not to mention the stewerdess might think you're a terrorist trying to bring down the plane.

Feedback Score
    Hello,
    I think that there are two ways for an internet signal to reach your device at 35,000 feet. The first is via ground-based mobile broadband towers, which send signals up to an aircraft’s antennas. Planes connect to satellites in geostationary orbit (35,786km above the planet), which send and receive signals to earth via receivers and transmitters. A satellite connection offers around 12 Mbps, but satellites are expensive to maintain and upgrade – so that technology is lagging behind too.Information is passed between the ground and the plane via the satellite. Wi-Fi signal is distributed to plane passengers via an on board router.