Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 4GCommunity.org unlimited Sprint Hotspot LTE service

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    This doesn't not answer that question, but I can give some feedback on the 6100D. It is not very good. I got one about 8 months ago for $30 through freedompop, and for a sprint spark device it got slower speeds than a 4yr old non sprint spark hotspot that I had. Then I read people getting better speeds if they disabled some of the bands and only forced it to connect to band 25. Seemed counterintuitive and kind of defeated the purpose of sprint spark, but it worked. I went from 1-2Mb/s to around 8 or 9.

Overall I felt very disappointed by it b/c it also seemingly did not have the range or could lock onto the signal as good as the older hotspot that I had previously. Again, one would think it would have been the opposite since the 6100D had 2 external antennas, where the old hotspot had none. Overall it is definitely not worth the extra cost that I see in these plans. Also, the 6100D only got 1 firmware update and seemingly was abandoned by netgear.

Hello,

How do you disable the bands and force it to connect only to band 25?
    I have the Franklin R850.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zolo111 View Post
    I returned the device and got my money back, surprisingly good customer service. I was getting 8-10mb d/l which was too slow for my needs, the device was connected to LTE not LTE+. I didn't have another modem to test if LTE+ would work, and no one reported if this works.

But I see now that they offer LTE+ service for a higher price, could you guys report back with results please? Or if someone can test the sim card in an LTE+ device?
    Thanks for the info. Comcast/Xfinity just doubled my monthly rate to $79.99 and after being sent to their retention department, the best they could offer was $49.99 on a two year contract. There is also a $10. per month modem charge add on..ugg.
    This 4G Community looks decent, but I'm concerned about speed up/down. I have a line on Ring+ as backup and it shows 3-4 bars with no LTE (despite what the Sprint map shows). Question: did you find your speeds good enough for Youtube, Chromecast, etc.?
    Thanks much

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    I'm concerned about speed up/down. I have a line on Ring+ as backup and it shows 3-4 bars with no LTE (despite what the Sprint map shows). Question: did you find your speeds good enough for Youtube, Chromecast, etc.?
    With no LTE signal, you're obviously out of luck (unless your phone lacks the proper bands). But to answer your question...

Cellular is very much a shared medium, unlike the consistent speeds you're accustomed to with broadband, and Sprint in particular tends to oversubscribe their capacity. I can get 10+Mbps much of the time, here, with a strong 4-bar LTE signal, but then see it slowing-down to 2Mbps in the afternoon. Some areas (mainly big cities) may have much more capacity and perform better than this, but some areas are sure to do much, much worse as well, with capacity slowing to a crawl. So YMMV by a lot.

I'm happy with YouTube streaming. At worst it pauses a bit longer before it starts playing. But other real-time live streaming services are choppier, and cellular is just not desirable if you expect to do a lot of that.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    the less you pay, the lower your expectations should be.

Somebody earlier commented that youtube streaming was fine.

Feedback Score
    .. I have a line on Ring+ as backup and it shows 3-4 bars with no LTE (despite what the Sprint map shows). ..
    You do have a phone with bands 26 and 41, I trust?

Over 50% of Sprint data traffic is now on band 41.

Feedback Score
    keep in mind that these plans and hotspot devices are not designed for replacement home internet use 24/7. There were quite a few reports of people on the unlimitedville plan having issues with their hostpot devices starting to fail after a few months of using them 24/7

if you have good speeds and reliability with your existing ISP, I would strongly advise against cancelling it in favor of these plans. Instead use this as backup for your existing ISP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Follywood View Post
    Hello,

How do you disable the bands and force it to connect only to band 25?
    I have the Franklin R850.
    I only know how to do it with the 6100D, never owned the R850.

Feedback Score
    @jimxx200

2 or 3 bars on LTE using the Franklin R850 I was getting around 10mb d/l, which was more than fine for 1080p youtube videos, 4k was buffering a lot. So if you have a single device only using all of the data then it's more than enough I guess for streaming heavy videos.

I had the service for a week or so, it was running fine, no hiccups and stuff.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zolo111 View Post
    @jimxx200

2 or 3 bars on LTE using the Franklin R850 I was getting around 10mb d/l, which was more than fine for 1080p youtube videos, 4k was buffering a lot. So if you have a single device only using all of the data then it's more than enough I guess for streaming heavy videos.

I had the service for a week or so, it was running fine, no hiccups and stuff.
    Do you think it would provide unacceptable/poor performance to try to use 3 or 4 connected devices at the same time?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    You do have a phone with bands 26 and 41, I trust?

Over 50% of Sprint data traffic is now on band 41.
    I have a line on Ring+ with a new LG Tribute HD which is listed as a 4G/LTE phone and getting 3 bars of non LTE. Humm, as I type this, I just turned off wifi and now my screen shows LTE connection. Let me run a speed test. Results: Down is 4.55 and Up is 3.58. Is this decent? Do you think the hotspot device pulls in a stronger signal? Comments welcome.

Feedback Score
    I have a line on Ring+ with a new LG Tribute HD which is listed as a 4G/LTE phone and getting 3 bars of non LTE. Humm, as I type this, I just turned off wifi and now my screen shows LTE connection. Let me run a speed test. Results: Down is 4.55 and Up is 3.58. Is this decent? Do you think the hotspot device pulls in a stronger signal? Comments welcome.
    Well I think it is very decent for a phone, since it is about all you would get from Cricket or a Verizon MVNO anyway.

The rest depends on where you live etc.

A hotspot may be faster if you add external antennas or place just right etc.
    Last edited by comintel; 11-15-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto G3, Moto G4 Play, LG Gpad X
    Carrier(s)
    Expo Mobile, Tracfone (AT&T), Tello, AT&T Unlimited Data Pass
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
    keep in mind that these plans and hotspot devices are not designed for replacement home internet use 24/7. There were quite a few reports of people on the unlimitedville plan having issues with their hostpot devices starting to fail after a few months of using them 24/7

if you have good speeds and reliability with your existing ISP, I would strongly advise against cancelling it in favor of these plans. Instead use this as backup for your existing ISP
    I use these plans temporarily to get Promo deals with Time Warner Cable. I dumped TWC after the Promo period and used Harbor Mobile's data plan for a few months and then the Unlimitedville plan for 2 months and then went back into TWC for the next 12 month Promo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chances14 View Post

I disagree. These plans piggyback off of the mobile beacon program which is designed to provide internet access for low income and nonprofit organizations. It is not intended for only "occasional use". It is intended as a work-around for local franchise hard wired internet service which is controlled by the phone and cable companies. As such it is supposed to be a full substitute for permanent home service, and can be used as a primary internet connection. The only part I do agree with you is the concept of heavy usage. I don't think they intend or desire that the users will be greedy abusers and run 500 to 2000 gigs a month, and for that I don't blame them. But I do think it is quite standard to expect someone who buys this service to use it exclusively.

Prior to this LTE plan, they were using the Sprint Wi-Max network, or "Clear Wireless" until that network was shut down. That service used a fixed home base station to pull the signal, and that base station was intended the same way as a current cable modem or AT&T 2-wire "home gateway".

As to the units failing after a few months, that is simply a quality issue which I blame the manufacturer, but not an issue of it not being intended for daily usage. As far as that goes, I've heard stories of certain ATT gateway models dying after 1 or 2 months as well. There is no question those were intended for constant use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    I disagree. These plans piggyback off of the mobile beacon program which is designed to provide internet access for low income and nonprofit organizations

As to the units failing after a few months, that is simply a quality issue which I blame the manufacturer, but not an issue of it not being intended for daily usage. As far as that goes, I've heard stories of certain ATT gateway models dying after 1 or 2 months as well. There is no question those were intended for constant use.
    That's just it though. 4gcommunity is piggybacking off that program and selling these plans to everyone, not just non profits and low income people. unlimitedville was doing the same thing circumventing the business requirements when they were signing people up for their business only unlimited hotspot plans.

Whether sprint starts to care enough about these loopholes remains to be seen. But regardless the risk is there of these plans being axed

And yes the devices failing are obviously a quality issue. But the quality issue pertains to the fact they aren't built with the intention of using them 24/7

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    i was wondering how they got around the income reqirements. seems like they are just not checking. sounds kind of shady. oh well, buyer beware....if it sounds too good to be true.....

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast